Corsair 115i New Install Problem

So I am building my very first computer and I have an ASUS Prime Z270-AR Motherboard to be cooled by a Corsair H115i and I installed the incorrect standoffs and did not determing that until I attempted to attach the thumbscrews and realized they would not fit. Unfortunately I had already expose and seated the pump on onto the cpu but never powered up the pc yet for first boot. So I removed the Pump from the CPU and replaced the standoffs with the correct ones but realized that thermal paste was smeared on the top of the CPU. Do I need to clean and replace the TIM? I have reseated the pump on the CPU with the correct standoffs and was able to fully tighten the thumbscrews and there is no gap. Should I expect temperature issues? Should I clean the existing paste that came with it pre applied off the pump head and CPU and reapply new paste to both prior to inital boot? Help!

Thanks!

I never use the same TIM twice, it's always handy to have it lying around and in this case you will need to re-apply it to avoid bubbling and whatnot.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Even if i have not powered up the PC for its initial boot yet? What thermal paste do you recommend? and Should I clean paste for the CPU and Pump? What should I use to clean it with ?? 

Thanks!

you can just reuse what is on there. it is fine to run it just make sure and get some to replace it with when you can.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, rpettway said:

Even if i have not powered up the PC for its initial boot yet? What thermal paste do you recommend? and Should I clean paste for the CPU and Pump? What should I use to clean it with ?? 

Thanks!

if you have some spare TIM lying around, and you really want to go for the lowest temps possible, then sure, swap it out. but you'll still get good temps if you don't swap the TIM. maybe 1c improvement best case scenario, although I'd guess that there'd be no difference at all.

PS: remember to quote people when replying.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, rpettway said:

Thanks!

It depends how well the coverage is. If you've got pretty decent coverage still, you are good. It is only meant to fill all the micro-cracks in the IHS. Assuming that no paste was lost, I would imagine you would be just fine. If you're worried about it I'd say just go ahead and reapply so it's not in the back of your head, nagging you until you change it lol, but I would bet that it would be fine as is.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

You're probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to go grab some arctic silver mx-4 for a few bucks and replace it with that.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

You're probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to go grab some arctic silver mx-4 for a few bucks and replace it with that.

Thanks! Is there any good links to how to clean and re-apply the paste? Also, I would have to clean the paste from the pump and the CPU?

Just now, PETRGangKing said:

It depends how well the coverage is. If you've got pretty decent coverage still, you are good. It is only meant to fill all the micro-cracks in the IHS. Assuming that no paste was lost, I would imagine you would be just fine. If you're worried about it I'd say just go ahead and reapply so it's not in the back of your head, nagging you until you change it lol, but I would bet that it would be fine as is.

So when I removed the pump off the CPU I was able to see a complete circle of paste on the CPU like it had probaly 95 percent of the top surface covered/smeared on. Upon reseat of the pump on the CPU there are no gaps or looseness it is firmly attached. Again this is a new build and I have never powered the PC up yet for initial boot. Given this is my very first build of course I am insecure about unseating the pump again to re-apply paste.  I appreciated the fact that Corsair ships the unit with Paste pre-applied. However, I do not want to experience heat/temperature issues. I am going to attach an image I just took of how it looks now.

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9692.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

Just now, GDRRiley said:

you can just reuse what is on there. it is fine to run it just make sure and get some to replace it with when you can.

Do you think I will experience any bubbling issues? Keep in mind I have never powered this PC up yet its a new builld and my very first build

42 minutes ago, rpettway said:

Do you think I will experience any bubbling issues? Keep in mind I have never powered this PC up yet its a new builld and my very first build

you could but I wouldn't worry about it. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 hours ago, rpettway said:

So when I removed the pump off the CPU I was able to see a complete circle of paste on the CPU like it had probaly 95 percent of the top surface covered/smeared on. Upon reseat of the pump on the CPU there are no gaps or looseness it is firmly attached. Again this is a new build and I have never powered the PC up yet for initial boot. Given this is my very first build of course I am insecure about unseating the pump again to re-apply paste.  I appreciated the fact that Corsair ships the unit with Paste pre-applied. However, I do not want to experience heat/temperature issues. I am going to attach an image I just took of how it looks now.

IMG_9691.jpg

IMG_9692.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

You should be fine,I wouldn't worry. I'd pick up a tube of paste just in case you ever need it.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |