Thinnest Mini pc with decent hardware

Are there any thin Mini PC's that are under 4cm (1.5 Inches) thick that have decent hardware ( i3 and possibly some Low Power Mobile gpu for accelleration)

2 minutes ago, 9291Sam said:

Are there any thin Mini PC's that are under 4cm (1.5 Inches) thick that have decent hardware ( i3 and possibly some Low Power Mobile gpu for accelleration)

Get a laptop, the Dell Inspiron 7577 has decent hardware for around $1000. I dont think theres any pc thats around an inch thick.

5 minutes ago, 9291Sam said:

May I ask why it has to be so thin?

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

1 minute ago, Mortis Angelus said:

May I ask why it has to be so thin?

Trying to cram it into a homemade laptop and I do not want the laptop to be 10 cm tall (4 inches)

Was going to use a Nuc but I wanted to see of there was anything with something like a 930M for accelleration

You could try using a NUC motherboard. Though the enclosures are thicker than that.

I don't think you'll find anything but a laptop GPU to fit in something that size.

Honestly, more work than it's worth.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I was going to remove the board from the Nuc anyway

I also want to do it because I can not find anyone else on the internet who has made a laptop at home.

Just now, 9291Sam said:

Trying to cram it into a homemade laptop and I do not want the laptop to be 10 cm tall (4 inches)

Well.. the best option here would probably be an asrock stx motherboard and mxm gpu, and then you will need to make your own heat dissipating system (custom heat block, heat pipes and heatsink with blower style cooler etc) for both cpu and, gpu. And you will get rear IO for free..

Spoiler

a homemmade laptop... you're well aware that mini PC's all essentially run low power / mobile hardware right? at that level of bodge you could just as well gotten a laptop and get the same (if not better) result.

14 minutes ago, Pooherino ツ said:

Get a laptop, the Dell Inspiron 7577 has decent hardware for around $1000. I dont think theres any pc thats around an inch thick.

HP elitedesk SFF, if you dont count the rubber feet that make up about 25% of the thing's thickness.

EDIT: correction, not SFF, DeskMini is what i meant :P

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

HP elitedesk SFF, if you dont count the rubber feet that make up about 25% of the thing's thickness.

Actually, you meant HP EliteDesk Mini :P But that was an excellent suggestion! I was unaware that HP made such a computer.

OP: If you wanna go balls to the walls, buy an AsRock DeskMini-gtx (I suggest the 1060 variant). Then buy an Intel t-series CPU and make that custom heat dissipation system. 

But as was said above; might be a bit too much work to be worthwhile.

H110-STX%20MXM(L1).png

Spoiler

Just now, 9291Sam said:

I also want to do it because I can not find anyone else on the internet who has made a laptop at home.

Lots of people have done homemade laptops before.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I mean we are getting to the point where consumers will be able to build laptops.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

I mean we are getting to the point where consumers will be able to build laptops.

we're far from tbh, even those "custom laptop" brands have to rely on someone else to make the products for them. there's a lot of iffy details tho go into producing laptops like handing the battery, the choice of battery (eg, number of cells in series), the screen, the interface with the screen (note stuff like backlight handling), and after all that there's still no standard for laptop parts past MXM modules, so you're forced into getting a chassis with one or two screen options, one or two mobo options, a battery and if lucky an extended battery, maybe MXM modules, 4 CPU options, and after all of that it'll end significantly more phat than buying something off the shelf.

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

That thing starts at $800 That is a bit high (Sarcasm)

16 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Lots of people have done homemade laptops before.

Where can I see proof?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

we're far from tbh, even those "custom laptop" brands have to rely on someone else to make the products for them. there's a lot of iffy details tho go into producing laptops like handing the battery, the choice of battery (eg, number of cells in series), the screen, the interface with the screen (note stuff like backlight handling), and after all that there's still no standard for laptop parts past MXM modules, so you're forced into getting a chassis with one or two screen options, one or two mobo options, a battery and if lucky an extended battery, maybe MXM modules, 4 CPU options, and after all of that it'll end significantly more phat than buying something off the shelf.

I have already done Mose of those things and I am going to 3 print a case/

3 minutes ago, 9291Sam said:

Where can I see proof?

all around, it's hard to find anything near a propper execution tho, probably with reason.

Not quite i3 level of performance but have a look at this :

ASRock J3160DC-ITX Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo (includes 19v 65w laptop adapter in the box)

You add a so-dimm and a small SSD and you can power the board directly from 19v, the board has DC-In jack... this would also make it easy to make a battery pack out of let's say 6 lithium batteries in series (to have ~ 21v..25v at the input) and with a DC-DC converter you can step it down to 18-19v which the board will take in happily.

With a SSD and a single so-dimm, the whole thing should idle under 10w

You could also unscrew the heatsink on the cpu and replace it with a more traditional flat heatsink with lots of fins (or pins/needles) but lower height and maybe put a 92-120mm 15mm (thin) fan over it , or have one of those laptop style fans blow some air over the heatsink (to reduce the size)

You could also pretty much desolder all the connectors except the DC in jack from the back side, and use a usb header from the motherboard to get usb for mouse and keyboard, you could solder wires where the stereo out and line in and microphone would be or just use the front panel header for sound jacks

The only tricky part would be the ethernet port which I think has the magnetics inside it... you can buy the ethernet jack separately and just solder the port to the board with some wires (here's just one example of a standalone jack with magnetics) ... or just shove a mini-pcie wireless card inside for wireless networking or a wireless card on a usb stick.

If you can work with mATX sized board, an alternative from AMD would be this 55$ board: ASRock QC5000M AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU SOC Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo

About the same performance as the J3160 cpu but better graphics at a slightly higher power consumption (the intel is a 6w tdp, the amd is 15w tdp but graphics are a big part of that)

There's a lot of empty space around the cpu so again you could replace the heatsink with a bigger but less tall one easily and basically your total height would be set by the ddr3 memory you use... some low height ddr3 will make your board only 2-3 cm in total.

Again, you have 4 usb 2 headers onboard so you could use usb brackets to have usb connectors at the edge of your laptop and you have front panel header with speakers and microphone pins so you could desolder the tall  ps2/usb tower, the usb+ethernet, the sound , and leave just the two usb 3 ports and the vga and hdmi ports on the back. which are low height.

You could desolder the ethernet and disable the onboard lan and either use separate ethernet jack soldered with wires to board or you could use a pci-e x1 ethernet card and a pci-e riser cable to lay the ethernet card horizontally to keep things flat laptop style.

You could use a picoPSU style power supply with wide input voltage (let's say 10..24v) to power the board and a SSD easily, and you could power that picoPSU with 12v..19v  from a laptop adapter or from some battery pack