iPhone 7 or OnePlus5

Sir Asvald

I've had enough issues with my Android phone. It has screwed up and now I have to factory reset it. I was wondering if the iPhone is still a viable option or should I go with the OnePlus5? The phone in question is a HTC M8. This is my 3rd phone btw.

Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've had enough issues with my Android phone. It has screwed up and now I have to factory reset it. I was wondering if the iPhone is still a viable option or should I go with the OnePlus5? The phone in question is a HTC M8. This is my 3rd phone btw.

Thanks.

I have both (now have an iPhone 8) 

Personally my OnePlus5 is 10000000 Times better than the iCult 7, But i am biased and only have the iPhone given to me as a work phone. If you can live inside a restrictive bubble and are happy to give up alot of personal device freedom then the iPhone 7 is pretty, fast, lightweight,has a great app store and a common phone for most people in general. If you like a phone that allows rather easily to give you freedom to choose even the OS - Get the OnePlus 5. Both are insanely fast

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

15 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

I have both (now have an iPhone 8) 

Personally my OnePlus5 is 10000000 Times better than the iCult 7, But i am biased and only have the iPhone given to me as a work phone. If you can live inside a restrictive bubble and are happy to give up alot of personal device freedom then the iPhone 7 is pretty, fast, lightweight,has a great app store and a common phone for most people in general. If you like a phone that allows rather easily to give you freedom to choose even the OS - Get the OnePlus 5. Both are insanely fast

I'll most likely get the OnePlus5 then.

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

headphone jack

/thread

I don't care, it does not bother me. I have Bluetooth headphones.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I would go for a OP5.

But having said that, every other phone would have to be terrible for me to choose an iPhone.

In all seriousness though, oneplus has actually taken time to put useful features in their devices such as screen off gestures for flashlight and camera etc, night mode, display calibration, swappable back/recent apps buttons and the like, rather than bixby and removing things like a headphone jack, fingerprint scanner, and a rectangle of your screen.

Dash charge is also totally legit. For the first two weeks of owning my one plus 3, I couldn't believe just how fast it charged, no matter what I was doing on it.

I have however found the audio (both headphone jack and speaker) on the OP3 to be noticeably worse than my old s4 mini and brother's S6.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

24 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I'm just going to leave this here...

LOL. Let them. What are we hiding from our Governments? We're being tracked everywhere and anywhere. You'd be surprised on what data is being collected on you, either by the Government or big companies. :P;) 

9 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

LOL. Let them. What are we hiding from our Governments? We're being tracked everywhere and anywhere. You'd be surprised on what data is being collected on you, either by the Government or big companies. :P;) 

For me it's not an issue of "what do you have to hide?" It's an issue of them not being able to store any of that information securely. Not sure if you haven't been following the news but there have been quite a few data breaches from both government and private organizations.

Sure there is the privacy aspect of it as well but the big glaring issue in my opinion is them "needing" to gather all this info just to throw it in an unsecured AWS bucket...so the less info they can get on you = the less info they can have stolen from them about you.

24 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

For me it's not an issue of "what do you have to hide?" It's an issue of them not being able to store any of that information securely. Not sure if you haven't been following the news but there have been quite a few data breaches from both government and private organizations.

Sure there is the privacy aspect of it as well but the big glaring issue in my opinion is them "needing" to gather all this info just to throw it in an unsecured AWS bucket...so the less info they can get on you = the less info they can have stolen from them about you.

Only stupid people will post or keep private information on the web. If want to your data to be secure, don't save it onto the cloud. Save it on a file server that isn't able to access the internet. Also, its the companies problem that they don't keep their networks secure, and most of the time, data breaches happen from inside the network. I'm currently at work installing and imaging PCs and laptop. For security any PC or laptop that is infected, the anti-virus will straight away remove the virus and disconnect the laptop or desktop from the network. We have an anti-virus for our email system. Before the user opens up the e-mail a scan will happen. Users are also noted that they should not open any e-mail that have a download link and if they did click on it, our web filter will block it (unless its from a trusted source). And if anyone requests a software installation, they will have to ask us before we can install it.

I have the OP3T and I'd get the OP5 if I needed to replace the 3T... but I don't it's been very reliable so far!

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Any thief can break into your house, but what you're doing is giving them the key to your house essentially. Or just leaving your doors unlocked. It's like comparing North Korea (exaggerated) to any western country in privacy. OP vs Apple, ...

8 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

if you're having issues with your android phone i'd recommend giving iOS a try, one plus still use android after all

I've had an iPhone 5s before. I was using while I got my Nexus 5 was broken. Once I got my Nexus back, I gave my system the iPhone 5s. Now My Nexus is broken beyond repair. Now, i'm in this situation.

Just now, Wano1997 said:

Any thief can break into your house, but what you're doing is giving them the key to your house essentially. Or just leaving your doors unlocked. It's like comparing North Korea (exaggerated) to any western country.

If you're going to show off and be flashy with your stuff. People will assume you've got valuables in the house...and they will break in

If you're opening dodgy links and downloading from bad sites, then the blame is on you. Any person with a straight mind should know that any bad sites could potentially risk their lives. My network at home got infected by a Trojan and it infected the whole network. I blame myself for not taking extra care. Now, I only use password protected USBs/External Drives and don't not allow people to bring USBs. I have Sophos UTM as my firewall and I've install Sophos Anti-virus on all my machines. Wi-Fi is only allowed per mac-address. If anyone visits me, they connect to the visitor network which is a completely separate network and doesn't connect to my private one.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

If you're going to show off and be flashy with your stuff. People will assume you've got valuables in the house...and they will break in

If you're opening dodgy links and downloading from bad sites, then the blame is on you. Any person with a straight mind should know that any bad sites could potentially risk their lives. My network at home got infected by a Trojan and it infected the whole network. I blame myself for not taking extra care. Now, I only use password protected USBs/External Drives and don't not allow people to bring USBs. I have Sophos UTM as my firewall and I've install Sophos Anti-virus on all my machines. Wi-Fi is only allowed per mac-address. If anyone visits me, they connect to the visitor network which is a completely separate network and doesn't connect to my private one.

Exactly, but my point was that there's still a difference between choosing OnePlus or any other brand like Samsung or Apple who will value your privacy a bit more.

Just now, Wano1997 said:

Exactly, but my point was that there's still a difference between choosing OnePlus or any other brand like Samsung or Apple who will value your privacy a bit more.

There is not such thing as privacy anymore. If you want be completely offline. Go offline, Not a joke. Go live in the mountains or in the forests.  I went offline for 3 months straight. No Facebook (I don't use it as much), Instagram, YouTube. I only used E-mail. I stopped using my smart phone and started to use a crappy phone that only texts and calls. Right here in the UK, I can go to the BT Phone Book and search anyone's name and it'll show up.

21 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've had an iPhone 5s before. I was using while I got my Nexus 5 was broken. Once I got my Nexus back, I gave my system the iPhone 5s. Now My Nexus is broken beyond repair. Now, i'm in this situation.

I'd still recommend the iphone, I had a 7 plus and loved it, I have an s8+ now and it won't be a long termer I don't think

5 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I'd still recommend the iphone, I had a 7 plus and loved it, I have an s8+ now and it won't be a long termer I don't think

I'll see. iPhone 8 is a bit pricey.

EDIT: OP5 is £450 and iPhone 8 is £700

18 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'll see. iPhone 8 is a bit pricey.

EDIT: OP5 is £450 and iPhone 8 is £700

Iphone 7 is still a great phone too if you dont need wireless charging or 4k 60fps. 

1 hour ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Iphone 7 is still a great phone too if you dont need wireless charging or 4k 60fps. 

Then again. Apple is restricted...No customisation. Nothing

7 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Then again. Apple is restricted...No customisation. Nothing

True, thats the trade off. Optimisation or customisation. I'd choose optimisation but I can see why others would choose the latter.

Only you can really decide if Apple is a viable option for you or not. We can't decide that.

Either platform works perfectly fine.

9 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

OnePlus isn't a government, and I wouldn't like the idea of having all of my information sent somewhere without my permission.

7 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

There is not such thing as privacy anymore. If you want be completely offline. Go offline, Not a joke. Go live in the mountains or in the forests.  I went offline for 3 months straight. No Facebook (I don't use it as much), Instagram, YouTube. I only used E-mail. I stopped using my smart phone and started to use a crappy phone that only texts and calls. Right here in the UK, I can go to the BT Phone Book and search anyone's name and it'll show up.

So, you didn't really go offline. Some of the largest data breaches have been email based.

The thing you're not realizing is the type of data being harvested. I'd question why they want it. If you don't, then you're not protecting yourself. It's akin to having a lock on your front door. Do you?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red