Intel Optane paired with Samsung EVO 850

I have a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. If I add an Intel Optane 32 GB module will I see any performance boost?

Nope. Intel optane really only works as a sort of cache for HDDs. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

You will see 0 performance when pairing your SSD with a Intel Optane cache drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 minutes ago, BlackSword said:

I have a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. If I add an Intel Optane 32 GB module will I see any performance boost?

If I explain this semi-correctly, optane works kinda like an SHHD where SHHD has 8GB of SSD that loads frequently used stuff to make it boot/load faster. You just basically increase that to 32GB of SSD like performance. Whereas an SSD is already all SSD like performance.

19 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

If I explain this semi-correctly, optane works kinda like an SHHD where SHHD has 8GB of SSD that loads frequently used stuff to make it boot/load faster. You just basically increase that to 32GB of SSD like performance. Whereas an SSD is already all SSD like performance.

To add on to that, it only caches your most used programs and folders, which will probably be windows files. 

I doubt it would help even if you were going to use it with an HDD to store games since optane can't be configured to only a single drive (from my understanding). (Note that I'm presuming that someone would also have an SSD for windows and such). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

21 hours ago, IKnight said:

To add on to that, it only caches your most used programs and folders, which will probably be windows files. 

I doubt it would help even if you were going to use it with an HDD to store games since optane can't be configured to only a single drive (from my understanding). (Note that I'm presuming that someone would also have an SSD for windows and such). 

It does make games load faster, after 1 loading of that game and a restart. I've never used it but seen YouTube benchmarks of game loading times, decreased it by a lot depending on the game. But what they don't show is if it still loads that game faster after additional DIFFERENT games have been launched after the initial game then restarting and loading the first initial game again to see if loading time is still the same as pre-octane or not. There's only so much GB it can cache, but 32 GB is still a lot to cache frequently opened programs. 

Just now, phongle123 said:

It does make games load faster, after 1 loading of that game and a restart. I've never used it but seen YouTube benchmarks of game loading times, decreased it by a lot depending on the game. But what they don't show is if it still loads that game faster after additional DIFFERENT games have been launched after the initial game then restarting and loading the first initial game again to see if loading time is still the same as pre-octane or not. There's only so much GB it can cache, but 32 GB is still a lot to cache frequently opened programs. 

True, but can optane be set up to boost only one drive?

2 minutes ago, IKnight said:

True, but can optane be set up to boost only one drive?

You're correct. I would assume that the person using Optane doesn't have an SSD and would be using it as their primary anyhow.

I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel Optane memory boost the performance of multiple drives?

No, Intel Optane memory can accelerate one SATA-based boot drive that stores the Windows® 10 64-bit OS.

Just now, phongle123 said:

You're correct.

I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel Optane memory boost the performance of multiple drives?

No, Intel Optane memory can accelerate one SATA-based boot drive that stores the Windows® 10 64-bit OS.

Which means that it's a waste of money if someone has an SSD (like OP).