Rack mount case with viewing panel likes Linus's...

JusticeBeaver

I am looking for a 4U rack mountable case with a viewing panel. I all ready know some people will think its stupid, or server cases are not meant to have view-able panels. So I do not need the comments. I am building my new NAS/Plex/Virtual Server and plan on rack mounting it. I have a 48u rack in my office. I wanted to get a view-able panel because the hardware I was able to piece together off of ebay all turned out to be LED lite. Such as, Dominator Ram, CRYORIG H7 LED lite CPU fan, and tossing in my R9 290x. So I would like to gaze in at times. I planned on keeping a few U's between this server and my next, so it will be view-able. That and looking at two xeons is just sexy.... 

Let me know if you know of any cases, I am trying to stay away from modding my own, or spending a large amounts of $$$ like Linus did for a custom case.

you're going to need to make it yourself or have someone else make it. Buy a standard 4U case and put a plexi window on it by cutting a hole and getting a plexi glass peice cut to size. or you could just leave the top of the case off. 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

Just now, Sentryy said:

you're going to need to make it yourself or have someone else make it. Buy a standard 4U case and put a plexi window on it by cutting a hole and getting a plexi glass peice cut to size. or you could just leave the top of the case off. 

This is what I figured. I have done tons of searching. I just hoped that MAYBE someone knew something I did not. I may see about getting a case and asking the company to send an additional top, just incase i FUBAR it.

Yeah, that's a custom case. There is no reason for racked servers to have a window like that so no manufacturers make them. Might be able to look for a local metalworker who can cut the case lid and make some brackets and then you get some plexi-glass and fit it in. 

Just now, JusticeBeaver said:

This is what I figured. I have done tons of searching. I just hoped that MAYBE someone knew something I did not. I may see about getting a case and asking the company to send an additional top, just incase i FUBAR it.

just go to a recycling center and buy an old server case or HP SFF case (they're a similar design) and try it out with that and keep trying until you're satisfied with those and then do your final product

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

1 minute ago, JusticeBeaver said:

You might be able to buy an additional lid, but they're not just going to send you one. 

5 minutes ago, JusticeBeaver said:

If you just want to add a window to a panel that won’t be too difficult. The easiest would be to look for a local sheet metal shop and they can cut it for you or to DIY it using a dremel and metal files. 

9 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

You might be able to buy an additional lid, but they're not just going to send you one. 

Thats what I meant, bad use of my words