Is this a good upgrade?

So my best friend's current PC is starting to lag behind.  He has an FX 6300, 8GB of RAM, GTX 960, and a 1TB hard drive.

He's looking for a decent upgrade, strapped for cash, and we thought we found one.  A guy was selling a desktop with an i7 4790 for $100... someone bought it.

He has more desktops for sale though.

Two are the same

Core i3 4150, 4GB of RAM, I think like a 500GB hard drive.

we were already planning on moving his GPU, ram, power supply, and hard drive over.

This computer is also $100.  Would it be worth buying that, then upgrading to an i5 or i7 later down the road, or should he just wait longer?

Thanks in advance.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Its def not worth it prices will only go down wait tell hes finally ready to upgrade his computer to something more modern

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

No don't buy a $100 i3 PC if one with i7 goes for same price that is a bad deal and an i3 is hardly better than a 6300 anyway. Just wait for a good deal on a ryzen 3, i5 or i7 comes up and snap it up quick!

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

IMO its not a worthwhile upgrade. The boost in gaming performance you'll get is marginal at best.

Just wait until you can get the jump on something really good. You'd be surprised what you can find if you keep your eyes out

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

No don't buy a $100 i3 PC if one with i7 goes for same price that is a bad deal and an i3 is hardly better than a 6300 anyway. Just wait for a good deal on a ryzen 3, i5 or i7 comes up and snap it up quick!

That's just it... guy didn't know what he had with the i7 and sold it to get rid of it, and someone else bought it.  My friend is looking to upgrade as fast as possible, so I was thinking we'd get this, buy an i5 or i7 in a couple weeks, sell the i3 and the 6300 to make up some money.  

But if waiting is more advised. Only bad part is here in the middle of nowhere, deals like this rarely pop up, people usually overprice their shit.

1 minute ago, TheUnderratedGamer said:

Just wait until you can get the jump on something really good. You'd be surprised what you can find if you keep your eyes out

That's what we're doing here.  We're in the middle of nowhere where people usually sell Core 2 duo desktops for over $150. :/

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

That's what we're doing here.  We're in the middle of nowhere where people usually sell Core 2 duo desktops for over $150. :/

Trust me. It comes and goes. Im in the middle of nowhere canada and I found a full 4770 system for a little over a hundred bucks. Your buddy can last for a little longer but it's better to get the most out of your money here

44 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

That's just it... guy didn't know what he had with the i7 and sold it to get rid of it, and someone else bought it.  My friend is looking to upgrade as fast as possible, so I was thinking we'd get this, buy an i5 or i7 in a couple weeks, sell the i3 and the 6300 to make up some money.  

But if waiting is more advised. Only bad part is here in the middle of nowhere, deals like this rarely pop up, people usually overprice their shit.

there is a thing called postage :P you can get things shipped from a far away land. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016