6700k@4.8 stable in Aida64, not so much in P95

Runs stable at 1.35v in Aida64, tested it for hours. Also passes CinebenchR15

However, not even 1.38v is enough for Prime95, it crashes instantly. Also handbrake.. After a minute or so

I'm cooling it on water, of course. And it never crashed in games (mainly witcher 3)

But even my 240mm AIO with 4 fans can't keep it cool under voltages above 1.4v and quite frankly, I don't really want to run them that high.

Is it okay if I run a "quite stable" CPU OC @4.8 ghz just for the sake of it, and because witcher really loves them clocks..?

4.7ghz OC runs no problem at 1.32v, even in Prime95. Should I just run that and be done with it?

Thanks for advice (ik it's not completely stable but I want to know if I'm hurting it)

11 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Runs stable at 1.35v in Aida64, tested it for hours. Also passes CinebenchR15

However, not even 1.38v is enough for Prime95, it crashes instantly. Also handbrake.. After a minute or so

I'm cooling it on water, of course. And it never crashed in games (mainly witcher 3)

But even my 240mm AIO with 4 fans can't keep it cool under voltages above 1.4v and quite frankly, I don't really want to run them that high.

Is it okay if I run a "quite stable" CPU OC @4.8 ghz just for the sake of it, and because witcher really loves them clocks..?

4.7ghz OC runs no problem at 1.32v, even in Prime95. Should I just run that and be done with it?

Thanks for advice (ik it's not completely stable but I want to know if I'm hurting it)

It's hard to find a perfectly stable OC. Most of the time people think they ahve a stable OC just because they can run cinebench.

You can easily pass a cinebench with an unstable OC. Just like AIDA 64. Try OCCT it is very good.

You can keep it like that but one day you will play another game that uses other instructions or etc.. and then your unstable oc will produce crash you will be wondering why you crashing :P

my 6700k runs 4.5 ghz @ 1.34 vcore. It can run 4.5 at like 1.31 vcore and still pass cinebench and aida64 but will crash in OCCT or in BF1.

I had to crank up to 1.34 vcore to get 100% stable in anything ive tested and all the games I played.

I could get to 4.7  ghz @ 1.4 vcore but it would crash in occt.

I say keep it 4.7 or 4.6 ghz try to get 100% stable OC. Also, you shouldnt need that for witcher 3, a stock 6700k can run it and even oc you won't get more FPS.... it is more gpu demanding...

See :

As you can see. stock 6700k vs 4.6 ghz  its the same performance.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

21 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Here's how I look at it: If a processor fails a test that it wouldn't have failed if it wasn't overclocked, then it's unstable. There isn't any in-between on this.

Should I just run that and be done with it?

In its current state, I wouldn't trust it. You could try raising your voltage or tweaking things like LLC, but I'd personally just run it at a slower speed.

You're not hurting your CPU any more than you would be if it was stable, but you're not helping your productivity, either.

4 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

As you can see. stock 6700k vs 4.6 ghz  its the same performance.

I run Witcher heavily modded.. Vanilla witcher puts aroun 40-50% load on CPU in heavy scenes, while modded peaks at 90% and runs in upper 60% most of the time.. It does make a difference for me I believe.

I've got a good overclocker, for skylake generation anyways.. But above 4.6ghz, which runs at 1.26 rock stable for me, everything goes to sh*t. 4.7ghz is possible quite easily still, but 4.8 is where I hit that "wall"

5 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Here's how I look at it: If a processor fails a test that it wouldn't have failed if it wasn't overclocked, then it's unstable. There isn't any in-between on this.

In its current state, I wouldn't trust it. You could try raising your voltage or tweaking things like LLC, but I'd personally just run it at a slower speed.

You're not hurting your CPU any more than you would be if it was stable, but you're not helping your productivity, either.

Thanks.. I'll lower the OC to 4.7 and be done with it

30 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Thanks.. I'll lower the OC to 4.7 and be done with it

I'd start stress testing that 4.6 "stable" setting to begin with...

Run 8 to 24 hours stress test with OCCT and if there is no error detected than start thinking of going higher frequency

Aida 64 and cinebench are potato tests.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync