Sleep mode bad? when you've ssd?

So is it bad to put my computer in sleep mode when you have SSD?

Why would it be?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, ♛ cHaTrAP ♛ no said:

I may be wrong, but I think Sleep is okay as it simply stores your session in Ram. I think it's Hibernate that's bad as it dumps your current Ram to Hiberfil.sys on your SSD, which could be several Gigabytes written.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Because one of linus video he said it was bad

1 minute ago, johndms said:

I may be wrong, but I think Sleep is okay as it simply stores your session in Ram. I think it's Hibernate that's bad as it dumps your current Ram to Hiberfil.sys on your SSD, which could be several GigaBytes written.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why would it be?

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Why would you assume so? No, it's not.

Just now, ♛ cHaTrAP ♛ no said:

It wouldn't be the first time Linus was amazingly wrong.

4 minutes ago, ♛ cHaTrAP ♛ no said:

Sleep stores your system state on your memory at a very low power state. Hibernation saves your system state to your storage drive and completely powers down your computer.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, ♛ cHaTrAP ♛ no said:

Where...?

He has never said that.

Are you thinking of hibernation?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Where...?

He has never said that.

Are you thinking of hibernation?

Yea i think and how do you change it if its bad?=

14 minutes ago, ♛ cHaTrAP ♛ no said:

sleep mode is ALWAYS bad. that shit never worked reliable ever since invented in the 90's. it can corrupt your windows installation. i have seen it happen many times. 

do a full shutdown or use hibernate instead. waking a computer from hibernate is a matter of seconds when you have SSD 

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

sleep mode is ALWAYS bad. that shit never worked reliable ever since invented in the 90's. it can corrupt your windows installation. i have seen it happen many times. 

do a full shutdown or use hibernate instead. waking a computer from hibernate is a matter of seconds when you have SSD 

I think you got that backwards. Hibernate is bad because it dumps your entire contents of Ram to your SSD. Sleep is fine.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Open Command Prompt as Administrator.

powercfg /h off

done. That disables Hibernation and should remove the massive hiberfil.sys.

1) sleep and hibernate are two completely different things

2) hibernate is not bad, it just uses 8GB of space so if you never use hibernate you can just disable it and get an extra 8GB of space on your SSD

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

2) hibernate is not bad, it just uses 8GB of space

8GB of data re-written every single time you put your PC into Hibernate mode. Excessive writes are still bad for SSDs, right?

2 minutes ago, johndms said:

I think you got that backwards. Hibernate is bad because it dumps your entire contents of Ram to your SSD. Sleep is fine.

no ... it is as i said.

hibernate = dump contents from ram to drive and shut down = hardware is really turned OFF and everything gets a clean power cycle. 

sleep = put pc in a half dead coma state it may never wake up from. 

i have seen that happen too many times. not worth risking it. at all. 

Sleep is suspend to RAM, it makes no difference what drive you have.

If you hibernate, it writes what's in RAM to disk and shuts off, so I suppose that could be bad if you don't like writing to your SSD, but I won't expect to have any problems from it.  That said, it's probably not necessary since, while HDDs tend to recover from hibernation faster than they can boot normally, with an SSD it's the other way around in my experience.

If you use hybrid sleep, it will write to disk like hibernate does, and then sleep normally, so if you can it will resume from sleep (quickly) but if power is lost it can recover from the hibernation file so you won't suffer the effects of an incorrect shutdown.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, johndms said:

8GB of data re-written every single time you put your PC into Hibernate mode. Excessive writes are still bad for SSDs, right?

you don't let your pc hibernate 20 times a day, or do you? 

i don't. because it's pointless. 

modern systems consume so little power when idle that any power state between ON or OFF does not make sense any more. 

it becomes a different story when you have shitty windows 10 installed that is never really "idle" because it always needs to crawl and prefetch files you'll never ever be caring about, install updates or otherwise "optimise" shit

11 minutes ago, johndms said:

No, it will live longer than you will.

Get a good quality SSD like an 850 evo or whatever and don't worry about writes.

Spoiler

SSDs are a bit different than regular hard disks, the most important part being that you can't just erase a byte or a few bytes like you can with a regular hard drive. SSDs can only erase and make writable again big chunks of data, let's say chunks of 512 KB in size, made up of 1024 "pages" of 512 bytes, or something like that.  The SSD can only read and write pages but can't overwrite pages, in order to reuse a page the SSD must erase the whole chunk of 512 KB.

So for example, when you open a big text document and change a few characters, the SSD can't just put the new characters over the old characters. The SSD has to locate the page (a portion of memory usually 512 bytes or 1 KB or 4 KB in size) which contains those characters, reads the page in memory, make the changes and write that data into a new page, somewhere else in the SSD, and marks that old page as "can be erased later".

When a lot of these pages from a block are marked as "can be erased", the SSD controller can copy the pages from that block that have information somewhere else and then erase the whole block making it available to be used to store data again in it.

All this copying and erasing is usually done when the SSD is idle (you're not reading or writing to it), but if your SSD is constantly used by applications this process is relatively slow and if too many blocks of data are marked as "can be erased" but the ssd controller has no time to erase them, eventually the SSD slows down (but still works fine).

If you put your computer to sleep, the SSD basically loses power so it can't take advantage of your computer being idle to perform this cleanup and "refresh itself" and come back to fast normal speeds. But a few hours every week or so of idle time on your computer (or just watch a movie or something that doesn't access the SSD often) should generally be enough for the SSD to perform its maintenance