GPU making PC reboot when under stress

Freeeeezy

My PC has been rebooting whenever I put my GPU (GTX 950) under stress. It started happening when I was gaming and then whenever I start an MSI Kombustor test, it immediately reboots. I've tried stressing my old GPU (GT 610), and it went 10 full minutes in Kombustor no problem (Except for the terrible FPS lmao).

I looked into this problem myself, and the possibility came up that it might be my PSU. It seems unlikely to me since I have plenty of space with my EVGA 650w Gold Certified PSU to handle my GTX 950, but I figured I'd try anyway since a PSU upgrade will be much cheaper than a new GPU. So I stress tested with both my GT 610 and CPU using Prime95 for 10 minutes. Still no reboot, so I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU (Although I could try to snag my brother's 750 Ti to try and put the PSU under more stress and test this further. LMK if I should try this)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Do I need a new Graphics Card?? 

IF you have any other things for me to try, please feel free to reply, but tbh I wouldn't mind an upgrade. 

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

what' your power supply? because this 100% sounds like some powersupply problem

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

4 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

My PC has been rebooting whenever I put my GPU (GTX 950) under stress. It started happening when I was gaming and then whenever I start an MSI Kombustor test, it immediately reboots. I've tried stressing my old GPU (GT 610), and it went 10 full minutes in Kombustor no problem (Except for the terrible FPS lmao).

I looked into this problem myself, and the possibility came up that it might be my PSU. It seems unlikely to me since I have plenty of space with my EVGA 650w Gold Certified PSU to handle my GTX 950, but I figured I'd try anyway since a PSU upgrade will be much cheaper than a new GPU. So I stress tested with both my GT 610 and CPU using Prime95 for 10 minutes. Still no reboot, so I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU (Although I could try to snag my brother's 750 Ti to try and put the PSU under more stress and test this further. LMK if I should try this)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Do I need a new Graphics Card?? 

IF you have any other things for me to try, please feel free to reply, but tbh I wouldn't mind an upgrade. 

If the card is asking for more power then it can get. Then it sends a reset to the motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

what' your power supply?

EVGA 650G 80+ Gold PSU

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

Just now, Freeeeese said:

EVGA 650G 80+ Gold PSU

yeah ok that's mega overkill...... but a 750Ti is less power than the 950. try and look into the bios version of the GPU and if it had power problems

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

EVGA 650G 80+ Gold PSU

Have you tried any other stress programs? How about Realbench.

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah ok that's mega overkill...... but a 750Ti is less power than the 950. try and look into the bios version of the GPU and if it had power problems

I realize that lol. I just meant to put the PSU under more stress than with the GT 610, I could stress the 750 Ti and then stress the CPU as well to possibly further push the PSU. Kombustor Stress test won't even start with my GTX 950

What do your temps and fan curve look like? Are in a naturally hot room?

Just my opinion but 650w seems a bit underpowered to run a Xeon processor and a older high end gpu at full tilt.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Just now, Freeeeese said:

I realize that lol. I just meant to put the PSU under more stress than with the GT 610, I could stress the 750 Ti and then stress the CPU as well to possibly further push the PSU. Kombustor Stress test won't even start with my GTX 950

do you have power changed in msi afterburner or something?? i mean i'd imagine you changed that first thing.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, Hybris5112 said:

Just my opinion but 650w seems a bit underpowered to run a Xeon processor and a older high end gpu at full tilt.

high end GPU? a gtx 950 man it's like 95W TDP and the xeon is 80. PSU is OP as hell

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

high end GPU? a gtx 950 man it's like 95W TDP and the xeon is 80. PSU is OP as hell

My bad I was thinking 980 for some reason. Still 650 is on the low side.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

what world are you on where 650 is low? even a build with an overclocked i7 and a gtx 970 only needs a 500W PSU to have power to spare. the parts are really power effecient nowerdays

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

My Xeon is very power efficient. It's basically a locked i7 w/o internal graphics. 650 is definitely plenty. Also keep in mind I've had this PC for 3 years now and I've only started seeing this problem now

I disagree, 650W is more than plenty for this system. 

Even for a 980 that PSU is overkill. I have the G2 version of that power supply and my 1080 rarely even turns the fan on, I think it's 50% load to turn on.

5 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

My Xeon is very power efficient. It's basically a locked i7 w/o internal graphics. 650 is definitely plenty. Also keep in mind I've had this PC for 3 years now and I've only started seeing this problem now

Coming bad to the point, is it only Kombustor that gives you problems? Perhaps its a software incompatibility, so please give Asus realbench a try. Also are there any overclocks specified in afterburner (for example) that is not suitable for your new card

37 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Coming bad to the point, is it only Kombustor that gives you problems? Perhaps its a software incompatibility, so please give Asus realbench a try. Also are there any overclocks specified in afterburner (for example) that is not suitable for your new card

No, it's not just Kombustor. It's whenever I put my GPU under stress. So it happens in pretty much all my games as well

57 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Where would I look for that?

31 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

Where would I look for that?

gpu-z should be able to tell you what your version is. then google is your best friend

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

gpu-z should be able to tell you what your version is. then google is your best friend

what should I do if my version of the bios does have power problems? 

13 hours ago, Freeeeese said:

what should I do if my version of the bios does have power problems? 

the manufacturer will have put an update out and you can flash it. it's fairly simple nvFlash is what you'll need

this does happen sometime even if it's rare so don't freak out thinking you had terrible luck and your card is the only one that's ever done this

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

8 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the manufacturer will have put an update out and you can flash it. it's fairly simple nvFlash is what you'll need

this does happen sometime even if it's rare so don't freak out thinking you had terrible luck and your card is the only one that's ever done this

Just tested my brother's 750 Ti and unfortunately it rebooted again. So I guess it must be the power supply. Luckily, EVGA has a 10 year warranty on my PSU so I'm gonna RMA it, which might take a while but hopefully that will be the fix. Thanks for all the help everyone!

2 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

Just tested my brother's 750 Ti and unfortunately it rebooted again. So I guess it must be the power supply. Luckily, EVGA has a 10 year warranty on my PSU so I'm gonna RMA it, which might take a while but hopefully that will be the fix. Thanks for all the help everyone!

i'd still think it's more likely that the motherboard is having some sort of problem with PCIe power lanes over the PSU being the issue. it feels like some over current protection is getting tripped when it shouldn't

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i'd still think it's more likely that the motherboard is having some sort of problem with PCIe power lanes over the PSU being the issue. it feels like some over current protection is getting tripped when it shouldn't

Anyway I could test this before I RMA? Would like to be sure before I have to ship this out

38 minutes ago, Freeeeese said:

Anyway I could test this before I RMA? Would like to be sure before I have to ship this out

unless you can find another motherboard for you CPU it would be pretty hard to accurately test. you could rule out that it's the PSU by putting it under stress in a more power hungry system but that wouldn't prove it's the motherboard

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)