regretting building a pc

SammyGoad

Maybe I would have procrastinated anyhow, but after building my PC I feel like i've dumped so much time into gaming, parts shopping, and more that I feel like I've wasted a lot of time. What do you guys think, do you ever feel like you're over invested ( time, money,etc) in your PC?

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Apple[IPhone SE] [Imac 21.5 dual core 3 Gghz][Time Capsule 3TB]

Linux[Several laptops]

Just now, SammyGoad said:

Maybe I would have procrastinated anyhow, but after building my PC I feel like i've dumped so much time into gaming, parts shopping, and more that I feel like I've wasted a lot of time. What do you guys think, do you ever feel like you're over invested ( time, money,etc) in your PC?

Yes because you always want the new and best things. Lol

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Not at all. I loved the experience of learning about parts slowly and then becoming confident enough to put together a parts list and purchase and build my PC. The experience is unforgettable. 

Welcome to Maryland. 

We have crabs. 

you build a pc today. 

it lasts you for ____ years with no issues

then you notice theres room for improvement - your pc is no longer able to do what you need it to.

then you start shopping for upgrades....

if youre shopping for parts every day then thats your problem for wanting to keep up with new hardware.

thats a YOU problem.

Photography / Finance / Gaming

It's only a waste of time and money if you're buying used IMO.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

used?

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Linux[Several laptops]

I find that once I'm done building, all I can think of is "what next?" and that usually leads to me spending more.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why though? Buy an R9 285, and you've basically got a 380. Buy a 980 Ti, and you've basically got a 1070 (once overclocked).

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

7 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

I find that once I'm done building, all I can think of is "what next?" and that usually leads to me spending more.

I'm trying to fill out my Apple portfolio, Very Slowly, I currently just have a Iphone SE and Timecapsule :P (prepares to be burned at the stake)

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Why though? Buy an R9 285, and you've basically got a 380. Buy a 980 Ti, and you've basically got a 1070 (once overclocked).

Cost?

Linux[Several laptops]

1 minute ago, SammyGoad said:

Cost?

For a 980ti like 200-300

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

I mean shit like I bought. Like, not last gen, I mean stuff like my system. That kind of old/used.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

used?

Like, not new.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Like, not new.

No I understand, just why do you not like used?

Linux[Several laptops]

2 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

Cost?

Not that much. $75-150 for a used 285 maybe, and $275 to ~$325 for a used 980 Ti.

I mean shit like I bought. Like, not last gen, I mean stuff like my system. That kind of old/used.

Nehalem systems are still really quite good for the age.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Not that much. $75-150 for a used 285 maybe, and $275 to ~$325 for a used 980 Ti.

Nehalem systems are still really quite good for the age.

I know, but I spent 300 CAD on an i5-750, Dell motherboard, Dell case, Dell PSU, and 6gb of RAM.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

Absolutely not. I've learned so much about hardware from building PCs and on top of that, hardware and gaming are simply hobbies I enjoy. Why would I regret any of that?

As for the money part, I never spend more than I can afford. 

No I understand, just why do you not like used?

Nonono, I love buying used. It's just kinda a money pit unless your parts don't break (RIP 7950).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Nope, takes me about 1 month to plan each build I do and about 2-3 months to put together. Once the build is planned I don't change it otherwise I am pining over each new thing that comes out. The only project/build that has taken longer is my Project Steamroller but that sucker is a huge expense and a first build of its kind for me so I wan to get it right (about 2 years of planning so far with many hangups in the process and currently on the back burner due to several other conditions outside my control).

I love the challenge.

If you waste all your time just gaming welp that is on you but I do a lot on my builds and I have different use cases for each one not all my builds are high end. My daily is a mid-range build.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

how

Timing, funding, I cant purchase everything at once, and I dont always have time to build it in one shot. I am a very busy person.

*edit

I work two jobs (at which I am working at the moment), I travel [for work], I have a family (wife and 5 children) house work, etc.... busy

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Dude I completely get where you come from, I had a pretty large budget for my redstone build back when I build it and it did hit me hard and every now and again when i'm just staring at the desktop not feeling like playing anything I look at it and think goddamn that money could have gone into a holiday or something but thats also my own way of looking at it, I do regret it but at the same time when I'm gaming I forget a lot of my problems and even if i'm not looking at it with fond memories those moments gaming with friends is the happiness I was looking for. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

22 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

I'm trying to fill out my Apple portfolio, Very Slowly, I currently just have a Iphone SE and Timecapsule :P (prepares to be burned at the stake)

Why build a PC if you're trying to have all Apple products? Seems like a waste of money, unless you need separate computers and have a lot of money.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Why build a PC if you're trying to have all Apple products? Seems like a waste of money, unless you need separate computers and have a lot of money.

its called trash picking, I like to buying old/broken machines and fixin dem

Linux[Several laptops]

its called trash picking, I like to buying old/broken machines and fixin dem

You could always sell them.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Just now, BingoFishy said:

You could always sell them.

I do, but only if I dont have a use for them, bought an imac classic and flipped it for 5X me monz

Linux[Several laptops]