Weird noise from new psu

jerry22

Hi guys, how is it going?

My power supply unit is making a weird noise with its fan. Can you please help me?

Corsair CX550M, new, i've been using it for 2-3 weeks. Yesterday and today I have had a problem;

25 minutes after turning my pc on it starts to make a weird noise and it goes on and on. If I turn my pc off and then on again the noise continues.

If i turn my pc off for 10 minutes and then i turn it on again the noise is no longer there.

This "event" starts again after 25-30 mins of my pc being on.

I have recorded and uploaded the noise. If you press play you can hear it     https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWXuFqDky1YcE9NZUhmOGQwNFE/view

What can I do? :(

1 minute ago, jerry22 said:

Hi guys, how is it going?

My power supply unit is making a weird noise with its fan. Can you please help me?

Corsair CX550M, new, i've been using it for 2-3 weeks. Yesterday and today I have had a problem;

25 minutes after turning my pc on it starts to make a weird noise and it goes on and on. If I turn my pc off and then on again the noise continues.

If i turn my pc off for 10 minutes and then i turn it on again the noise is no longer there.

This "event" starts again after 25-30 mins of my pc being on.

I have recorded and uploaded the noise. If you press play you can hear it     https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWXuFqDky1YcE9NZUhmOGQwNFE/view

What can I do? :(

Sounds like the fan bearing has gone in that unit, if it's still under warranty open an RMA with Corsair. 

9 hours ago, Reece Leu said:

-SNIP-

OP:  That's definitely something hitting the fan.  Where did you buy the PSU from and when?

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

OP:  That's definitely something hitting the fan.  Where did you buy the PSU from and when?

Hi and thanks for the replies.

From amazon, through a seller (third party I think) who has 96% positive feedback based on 11000 reviews. I also bought my motherboard from them.

I bought it on 23rd June, but I started to use it from only the beginning of September because in the meanwhile Ive been waiting for my rx 580.

If there is something hitting the fan, is there something I can do to "fix" it please?

11 minutes ago, jerry22 said:

Hi and thanks for the replies.

From amazon, through a seller (third party I think) who has 96% positive feedback based on 11000 reviews. I also bought my motherboard from them.

I bought it on 23rd June, but I started to use it from only the beginning of September because in the meanwhile Ive been waiting for my rx 580.

If there is something hitting the fan, is there something I can do to "fix" it please?

The reason why Jon is asking about the purchase details, is likely so you don't try and RMA something that you bought used, without proof of purchase.

I haven't listened to the audio track, but I do believe Jon's opinion that something is hitting the fan.

If there are external (not inside the PSU) cables visibly inside the grate of the PSU fan, move them so they are not in the grate anymore.

If there aren't any visible external cables causing the issue, remove the PSU and shake it (not hard enough that accidentally throw it, but don't likely shake it either), that might move the position of the internal fan cable, which could fix the issue. 

If that doesn't fix it, shine a torch through the fan grate of the PSU, and look for the fan cable. Grab something non-conductive, robust but also soft so you don't cut anything, such as a plastic card, (like the ones used for public transport cards, bank cards, licences...), and push down lightly on the PSU fan's cable.

Hopefully that works the trick.

DO NOT remove the casing of the PSU, it technically will not void your warranty in the US (Not that manufacturers or retailers will accept that for warranty anymore, which is fair IMO if about PSUs), but it will void the safety certifications the PSU has, (making it illegal, and not covered by your house and/or content insurance) and frankly, inside a PSU can be dangerous, and potentially lethal if you handle it incorrectly.

Even a third party seller through Amazon provides an Amazon receipt.  So getting an RMA shouldn't be any issue.  Just go to "your orders", "order details" and click on "view or print invoice".

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 2:40 PM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The reason why Jon is asking about the purchase details, is likely so you don't try and RMA something that you bought used, without proof of purchase.

I haven't listened to the audio track, but I do believe Jon's opinion that something is hitting the fan.

If there are external (not inside the PSU) cables visibly inside the grate of the PSU fan, move them so they are not in the grate anymore.

If there aren't any visible external cables causing the issue, remove the PSU and shake it (not hard enough that accidentally throw it, but don't likely shake it either), that might move the position of the internal fan cable, which could fix the issue. 

If that doesn't fix it, shine a torch through the fan grate of the PSU, and look for the fan cable. Grab something non-conductive, robust but also soft so you don't cut anything, such as a plastic card, (like the ones used for public transport cards, bank cards, licences...), and push down lightly on the PSU fan's cable.

Hopefully that works the trick.

DO NOT remove the casing of the PSU, it technically will not void your warranty in the US (Not that manufacturers or retailers will accept that for warranty anymore, which is fair IMO if about PSUs), but it will void the safety certifications the PSU has, (making it illegal, and not covered by your house and/or content insurance) and frankly, inside a PSU can be dangerous, and potentially lethal if you handle it incorrectly.

Hi guys, thanks... I have some updates but I'm also a bit confused.

I have looked inside my psu both from the bottom where the fan is and from the back where the on off switch is. I pushed back some cables and cable ties I thought were possibly in the way of the fan. I turn my pc on and the noise was less loud than the first time ( uploaded here on the first post) and also after 10 minutes of hearing it the noise was no longer there. I took a deeper look in the psu and I pushed the cables a little more and also I spun the fan (with a thin piece of plastic) anticlock wise, so in the opposite direction of where it usually spins.

I turn my pc on and for 2-3 days the noise was not there.

Then I had to do some work on my case for other reasons and the next day I heard a little and light noise again, coming from the psu.

I am confused.

If the problem is the fan bearing is it normal that the noise stops and then starts again( also when I "touch" my case to do some modifications) randomly? If the problem is the fan bearing the noise should be there ALL the time ,right?

I also took a look at the fan while the noise was there and while my pc was on, and there is nothing that touches the fan.
I did not remove the psu(the only thing i did not try is to shake the psu but I dont know if it will solve the problem) from the case because Im going to ruin my cable managment...so I did all the above through my case ( I have hard floor so it's alright for the fan to face down), but I have been very careful to try to solve this, All I hear now ,sometimes, is a little noise but it seems that if I dont touch my case at all the noise disappears, i dont know.
what do you guys think please? I hope I ve explained well my situation.

Thanks
Regards

RMA the PSU.