99% completed build!

Slaxc

I’m almost done building my PC and I did a test run and almost everything worked except a few

1) my case fans and power button did not work

2) on my graphics card it has a 6 pin and an 8 pin but the only thing that came with my PSU was an 8 pin so I’m not too sure what to do.

I posted in your other thread but I'll post here, just to keep things seperate.

You use the 6+2 pin to make an 8 pin and plug all 8 pins into the 8-pin on the GPU and then you use another 6+2 pin and plug the 6 pins into the 6-pin on the GPU and leave the other two dangling.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1. Are you sure the fans are connected to the 3/4 pin connectors on your motherboard? Are the front panel audio connectors connected properly? Is the 24 pin and 4 pin/8 pin connected to the motherboard?

2. Your 8 pin PCIE connector on the PSU can have 2 of its pins removed to get a 6 pin.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

1. Are you sure the fans are connected to the 3/4 pin connectors on your motherboard? Are the front panel audio connectors connected properly? Is the 24 pin and 4 pin/8 pin connected to the motherboard?

2. Your 8 pin PCIE connector on the PSU can have 2 of its pins removed to get a 6 pin.

I followed the fan wire and it ended with a with this image.thumb.jpg.3a3854bcd470d00a2db6afb8ef92a2fb.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0a7d60e83aec0daf34451c4d2a5c7924.jpg

2 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

I followed the fan wire and it ended with a with this 

That's a molex connector, you should have one on your power supply. It seems to be connected to nothing.
Do you have a fan controller or something? Does your case come with one pre installed?
Otherwise just unplug the fan cable from whatever it is plugged into now and put it in the appropriate 4 pin case fan connector on your motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to see where those are.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That's a molex connector, you should have one on your power supply. It seems to be connected to nothing.
Do you have a fan controller or something? Does your case come with one pre installed?
Otherwise just unplug the fan cable from whatever it is plugged into now and put it in the appropriate 4 pin case fan connector on your motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to see where those are.

Hmm. Nothing on my PSU or my MOBO.

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Oh shoot. What is #4 on there btw? I don’t have anything plugged into that.

Just now, Slaxc said:

Hmm. Nothing on my PSU or my MOBO.

Use the connector labeled with either 4 or 6 for your fan.

Just now, Slaxc said:

Oh shoot. What is #4 on there btw? I don’t have anything plugged into that.

That is basically the connector you want for your fan, it's a 4 pin xD 

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Well then haha. Now what about the power button?

Also, there’s two different fans and two different cables, what should I do?

Well never mind. Both of the fans are 3 pin.

Is everything properly connected to 14?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Slaxc said:

That's fine 3-pin and 4-pin work off the same header, it's just the type and amount of control you get :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You should have a few cords coming from your case labeled PWR+ & -, RESET_Sw +-, HDD led +- PLED +-. Make sure those are plugged into the bottom right hand corner of your Mobo, it looks like 14.

You can plug fans on 3,4,5 or 6.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

1 minute ago, Slaxc said:

You can plug a 3 pin fan into a 4 pin slot, it just won't work with PWM, it will be a fixed speed fan.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, Slaxc said:

That is at number 14. Go to the motherboard's page about these front panel connectors and it should have a diagram on what cables (that came attached to your case) should plug into where.

These are for the power button, reset button and HDD LED. These cables should look a little something like this:

560xNxfront-panel-connectors.jpg.pagespe

Don't forget to also plug in the USB 3.0 (or 2.0) front panel header. Should look like this for USB 3.0:

sku_165840_4.jpg

Number 17 in your motherboard manual.

And your front panel audio connector.

Usually like this:

xfi_extremeaudio_frontpanel2a.JPG

Number 15 in your motherboard manual.

Just now, Slaxc said:

Plug them both into one of those connectors at nr. 4. Order doesn't matter.

Just now, Lurick said:

Is everything properly connected to 14?

I was having trouble with that earlier. image.thumb.jpg.e59da0373290e939f55eeaa25d32115c.jpg

3 pin and 4 pin work with each other, plug them in. There is only one way to plug it in also (because of plastic tabs that make sure you don't plug it in the wrong way).

3 pin and 4 pin work with each other, plug them in. There is only one way to plug it in also (because of plastic tabs that make sure you don't plug it in the wrong way).

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That is at number 14. Go to the motherboard's page about these front panel connectors and it should have a diagram on what cables (that came attached to your case) should plug into where.

These are for the power button, reset button and HDD LED. These cables should look a little something like this:

560xNxfront-panel-connectors.jpg.pagespe

Don't forget to also plug in the USB 3.0 (or 2.0) front panel header. Should look like this for USB 3.0:

sku_165840_4.jpg

Number 17 in your motherboard manual.

And your front panel audio connector.

Usually like this:

xfi_extremeaudio_frontpanel2a.JPG

Number 15 in your motherboard manual.

Plug them both into one of those connectors at nr. 4. Order doesn't matter.

Regarding the front panel cables. Look at the picture I posted in another reply. Those were all the cables 

There is only one four pin that is labeled with the system fan. I need 2

4 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

You should have a few cords coming from your case labeled PWR+ & -, RESET_Sw +-, HDD led +- PLED +-. Make sure those are plugged into the bottom right hand corner of your Mobo, it looks like 14.

You can plug fans on 3,4,5 or 6.

No reset on S340 but this is what I have so far. image.thumb.jpg.522bc591ff239e9cb8e3b0829f100130.jpg

Just now, Slaxc said:

There is only one four pin that is labeled with the system fan. I need 2

According to the picture you showed, you should at least have 4 of those four pin connectors.

Could you please post your motherboard model number? 

That would be the only way I could show you what connectors you can use and where those front panel connectors should be.

According to the picture you showed, you should at least have 4 of those four pin connectors.

Could you please post your motherboard model number? 

That would be the only way I could show you what connectors you can use and where those front panel connectors should be.

It’s a Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5. Are you telling me that any 4 pin will work? There is another four pin I see right now that says sys fan pump

1 minute ago, Slaxc said:

No reset on S340 but this is what I have so far. 

You've got it all backwards :P 

Based on that picture, upper left two pins should be Power LED + then -, next to that is the power switch, then there will be a big space, and 4 pins on the right top, those are for the speaker.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: