Being Picky Choosing New Case

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
9 hours ago, Yota_Ninja said:

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M seems to only have 1 5.25 bay, unless I'm just being daft and missing something there. And it has budget I/O, which isn't as big a deal to me, but still something I'd like to avoid if at all possible. I really like that it looks like it is optimized for airflow, which I'm big on (not a water cooling guy... yet). I also love the minimalism, tempered glass, dust filters, and modularity. Not sure how I skipped this case in my search.

It does indeed only have one drive bay. I dont know how I overlooked that. And only two USB 3.0, but thats kinda common these days until you get on the Dark base pro 900 level. I personally really like this case and am considering it when I upgrade my system in the coming years, though Define C TG/Meshify C is neck and neck with it.

There's a similar, more premium version of this case here, the Enthoo Luxe. It has slight more restricted airflow in the front since its not full mesh, and the interior is somewaht outdated, but it's got 3 5.25 bays, and a more premium set of I/O (sadly theres are few cases on the market that have USB type C yet)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854043&cm_re=enthoo_luxe-_-11-854-043-_-Product

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe PH-ES614LTG_BK Black Aluminum Faceplates Tempered Glass Panel Steel Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer ...

While I'm not whole heartedly recommending this, it's still an option to look at for sure

I love the look of the Dark Base Pro 900, and again it has some great features with the modularity, perfect I/O (USB type C would be cool, but not needed), dust filter(s?) look easy enough to remove and clean, and it has 2 5.25 bays. My issues with this case is that 1. I feel like I'm paying for features I don't care for, and would never use (inverted build, silent operation), and 2. With regard to silent operation, I feel this case isn't built with airflow in mind. I don't mind my PC sounding like a jet engine, reminds me of growing up, lol, but I love having an unobstructed airflow from front to rear.

To be fair, you cant not use the silence in it, since you'd have to remove the sound dampening foam and replace the Silent Wing 3 fans with barn yard fans :P 

It actually has really good airflow. Similar to the Define C series, The side vents actually allow good amount of airflow in, since the cutouts are on the sides, not the tops like the S340/P400. I've never heard of any thermal issues with this case due to a lack of airflow either.

Here's the review video for the case, About 10 minutes in you can hear the noise levels for yourself, as well as see the amazing dust filters this thing has, which are accessible from the front entirely!

And yes, You'd be paying $220 for features like Qi charging, invertable motherboard layout, lack of power supply shroud and more hard drive cages than most people need, but I cant think of a better case in the $200-250 price point

Hello all,

I'm looking to change my current case. I am rocking a HAF-X, which is a beast of a case and provides adequate cooling for my components. I've not yet made up my mind if I'd rather downsize, or move to something more minimalist but still full tower.

Here is my current build (So that recommendations are within spec for my components):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory X2 (16GB total)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Black  6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Fan Controller: NZXT - Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller

As the title suggests, I'm being very picky about my case selection. My HAF-X currently sits on my desk behind my monitors and I am going to be putting the new case there as well. I have ample room to do so. I have a few requirements for the case that I'm looking for, and I can't seem to find a case that quite meets all of them. I've checked out about 20+ cases, read reviews, watched YouTube videos of people building in them, etc. I still can't find one that really fits my style.

Case Requirements:

• Full size panel window (no fan/cutout etc. just clear plastic or tempered glass)
  • At least two 5.25 bays
  • PSU shroud
  • Some modularity with the HDD mounting
  • Dust filters (that are easy to remove and clean without having to take the case apart)
  • Good amount of I/O on the front
  • Clean/Minimal looking (HAF-X is the exact opposite of this)

So far I have seen 2 cases that ALMOST meet what I am looking for.

Fractal Design Focus G (Which NONE of the large tech tubers have reviewed :( )

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

Here are what they are lacking:

Focus G

• Not much I/O
  • No PSU Shroud
  • No cutout grommets
  • Not the best for stuffing cables (even though I do have a modular PSU)
  • HDD Cage just seems to chill in the middle, not symmetric

Obsidian 750D

• No PSU Shroud
  • Case is wide, so when the 5.25 bays are populated, it ruins the symmetry
  • Bottom fan mounts seem more like dust intakes to me (I don't plan on populating them with fans, could be covered up I suppose)
  • HDD Cage fits 3 3.25 drives (I feel like it would look like crap without populating all 3 slots, small gripe)
  • Back area is completely visible on the right side below the 5.25 bays

If you have any recommendations, please leave them below. I'm almost sold on the 750D... If I go that route, I'll have to learn how to make a PSU shroud.

phanteks have some pretty professional cases if your thinking about more of a mature office style.

3 hours ago, Yota_Ninja said:

None of the Phanteks cases really meet my requirements.

Case Requirements:

• Full size panel window (no fan/cutout etc. just clear plastic or tempered glass)
  • At least two 5.25 bays
  • PSU shroud
  • Dust filters (that are easy to remove and clean without having to take the case apart)

Enthoo Pro M TG?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854042&cm_re=enthoo_pro_m-_-11-854-042-_-Product

• Full TG window 
  • Two 5.25" bays built in 
  • PSU shroud (with neato window to show off oyur quality PSU as a bonus) ✔
  • Modularity up the wazoo for more than just HDD's 
  • Dust Filters (easy ones at that)
  • Good amount of I/O ✔ (subjective, but in my mind it meets a minimum requirement)
  • Minimalistic✔

11-854-042-V01.jpg

Fractal Design Define C TG https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352070&cm_re=define_c-_-11-352-070-_-Product

Fractal Design Meshify C (has a mesh front panel, window tinted... about the only two major differences) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352072&cm_re=meshify_c-_-11-352-072-_-Product

• Full TG window 
  • Two 5.25" bays built in 
  • PSU shroud ✔
  • Modularity x (The Define S version is longer to have room for features like this, but doesnt have TG or PSU shrouds)
  • Dust Filters (easy ones at that)✔✔
  • Good amount of I/O ✔ 
  • Minimalistic✔

Edit: Just realized your PSU is too big for this case. Whoops!

11-352-070-V15.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Hello all,

I'm looking to change my current case. I am rocking a HAF-X, which is a beast of a case and provides adequate cooling for my components. I've not yet made up my mind if I'd rather downsize, or move to something more minimalist but still full tower.

Here is my current build (So that recommendations are within spec for my components):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory X2 (16GB total)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Black  6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Fan Controller: NZXT - Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller

As the title suggests, I'm being very picky about my case selection. My HAF-X currently sits on my desk behind my monitors and I am going to be putting the new case there as well. I have ample room to do so. I have a few requirements for the case that I'm looking for, and I can't seem to find a case that quite meets all of them. I've checked out about 20+ cases, read reviews, watched YouTube videos of people building in them, etc. I still can't find one that really fits my style.

Case Requirements:

• At least two 5.25 bays
  • PSU shroud

So far I have seen 2 cases that ALMOST meet what I am looking for.

Fractal Design Focus G (Which NONE of the large tech tubers have reviewed :( )

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

Here are what they are lacking:

Focus G

• Not much I/O
  • No PSU Shroud
  • No cutout grommets
  • Not the best for stuffing cables (even though I do have a modular PSU)
  • HDD Cage just seems to chill in the middle, not symmetric

Obsidian 750D

• No PSU Shroud
  • Case is wide, so when the 5.25 bays are populated, it ruins the symmetry
  • Bottom fan mounts seem more like dust intakes to me (I don't plan on populating them with fans, could be covered up I suppose)
  • HDD Cage fits 3 3.25 drives (I feel like it would look like crap without populating all 3 slots, small gripe)
  • Back area is completely visible on the right side below the 5.25 bays

If you have any recommendations, please leave them below. I'm almost sold on the 750D... If I go that route, I'll have to learn how to make a PSU shroud.

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900, Very Much the case you maybe looking for, I also own one 

One of the Most Modular Case on the market 

Image result for dark base pro 900

Related imageRelated image

The fans are high tier, meets your requirements, and gives more 

36 minutes ago, Haeking said:

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900, Very Much the case you maybe looking for, I also own one 

One of the Most Modular Case on the market 

The fans are high tier, meets your requirements, and gives more 

It also won the Case of the Year award from HardwareCanucks :) cant believe I forgot about this 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 10/6/2017 at 9:48 AM, TVwazhere said:

It also won the Case of the Year award from HardwareCanucks :) cant believe I forgot about this 

Love the case to death, and teh QI charger comes in handy

@TVwazhere @Haeking

Thank you both very much for the replies. I really love the look of both of those cases. Here are my thoughts:

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro M seems to only have 1 5.25 bay, unless I'm just being daft and missing something there. And it has budget I/O, which isn't as big a deal to me, but still something I'd like to avoid if at all possible. I really like that it looks like it is optimized for airflow, which I'm big on (not a water cooling guy... yet). I also love the minimalism, tempered glass, dust filters, and modularity. Not sure how I skipped this case in my search.

I love the look of the Dark Base Pro 900, and again it has some great features with the modularity, perfect I/O (USB type C would be cool, but not needed), dust filter(s?) look easy enough to remove and clean, and it has 2 5.25 bays. My issues with this case is that 1. I feel like I'm paying for features I don't care for, and would never use (inverted build, silent operation), and 2. With regard to silent operation, I feel this case isn't built with airflow in mind. I don't mind my PC sounding like a jet engine, reminds me of growing up, lol, but I love having an unobstructed airflow from front to rear.

That being said, I will do some research on both of these cases, check out some builds and listen to the pro's and con's people list. I really appreciate the quick responses, I was out of town all weekend and was unable to check the thread.

If I had the knowledge, I'd design my own case because I'm being so picky. Do you guys/anyone know of any cases that have the 5.25 bays on the bottom of the case? That would be great for airflow imo. Have two 140 fans above the bays that blow directly towards the GPU and CPU. Especially considering most people keep cases on their desks. Does anyone on the forums design and build cases for $$? If so, I might be able to work something out with them.

Thanks again!

Plywood, saw, plexiglass. And sketch. Problem solved? 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 minute ago, Yota_Ninja said:

Unfortunately not.

Building a wood case ain't too hard. 

Heres my build log. But yeah, that might not be for everyone. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

3 minutes ago, ImadKnight said:

Building a wood case ain't too hard. 

Heres my build log. But yeah, that might not be for everyone. 

Yeah, I know it's not hard but it also doesn't fit my aesthetic, and it also kinda goes over my weight preference (which I conveniently didn't list, so I don't fault you for that lol).

not sure what you want to be picky about with a case. Its just a case!, it should cost $30 and be a simple black box with optimised air flow and be as light and compact as possible while being easy to maintain.

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

not sure what you want to be picky about with a case. Its just a case!, it should cost $30 and be a simple black box with optimised air flow and be as light and compact as possible while being easy to maintain.

I've listed all the reasons I'm being picky... My personal aesthetic preference differs from yours, and the requirements I'm looking for do as well. I'm not worried about a budget, I just want to get the perfect case to fit my needs.

34 minutes ago, Yota_Ninja said:

I've listed all the reasons I'm being picky... My personal aesthetic preference differs from yours, and the requirements I'm looking for do as well. I'm not worried about a budget, I just want to get the perfect case to fit my needs.

ofcourse but i have some tips on what makes a good case, so i'll explain

1) Size, cases that cool well are smaller (think servers), internal shape could matter.

2) Mounts, hard drive mounts should be side ways

3) features, case has the features you need like USB3? enough PCIe slots? in your case if you plan to put a radiator you need a case with some space above.

Regarding the 5.25 mounts, its easy to find bigger cases that provide 4 whereas minimalist cases have 2.

Your requirements will need a midi tower rather than full tower as you dont have enough PCIe cards to require a full tower or even drives.

Front IO is another debate, because you could get your own 5.25 front IO or even 3 inch front IO.

Cases that are full of 5.25 mounts give you opportunity for something even more, for example hot swap drive bays.

It does indeed only have one drive bay. I dont know how I overlooked that. And only two USB 3.0, but thats kinda common these days until you get on the Dark base pro 900 level. I personally really like this case and am considering it when I upgrade my system in the coming years, though Define C TG/Meshify C is neck and neck with it.

There's a similar, more premium version of this case here, the Enthoo Luxe. It has slight more restricted airflow in the front since its not full mesh, and the interior is somewaht outdated, but it's got 3 5.25 bays, and a more premium set of I/O (sadly theres are few cases on the market that have USB type C yet)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854043&cm_re=enthoo_luxe-_-11-854-043-_-Product

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe PH-ES614LTG_BK Black Aluminum Faceplates Tempered Glass Panel Steel Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer ...

While I'm not whole heartedly recommending this, it's still an option to look at for sure

To be fair, you cant not use the silence in it, since you'd have to remove the sound dampening foam and replace the Silent Wing 3 fans with barn yard fans :P 

It actually has really good airflow. Similar to the Define C series, The side vents actually allow good amount of airflow in, since the cutouts are on the sides, not the tops like the S340/P400. I've never heard of any thermal issues with this case due to a lack of airflow either.

Here's the review video for the case, About 10 minutes in you can hear the noise levels for yourself, as well as see the amazing dust filters this thing has, which are accessible from the front entirely!

And yes, You'd be paying $220 for features like Qi charging, invertable motherboard layout, lack of power supply shroud and more hard drive cages than most people need, but I cant think of a better case in the $200-250 price point

@System Error Message

1) I believe servers cool well because that's exactly what they're designed to do. Very small, high RPM fans to push/pull as much air through the enclosure as possible with no regard to noise since they are mostly stuffed away in a server closet, or in a communications center. I can't really agree that this same logic applies to cases, as not all smaller cases are designed equally. It's just as much about getting the air in, as it is about making sure the air can maintain its flow.

2) I don't understand why you believe hard drives should be mounted sideways. I'm not opposed to this mounting option, I just don't think it's a "should be."
3) That's a given, and a big reason why I am being so picky. Features are subjective. 5.25 bays nowadays are features, it seems.

I don't think you fully read the OP or any of the replies before you came up with your response. I don't plan on water cooling, I am downgrading my HAF-X to a more minimalist styled case. I am not worried about populating the entire system, for instance my HAF-X is currently under-populated. I don't want to add another 5.25 bay expansion just for front I/O and I mentioned that only having 2 USB ports isn't a case killer for me. I don't have any plans now, or for the future to utilize hot swap bays. My current case already offers that ability, and I have yet to utilize it.

I do appreciate the reply, and the time you took to explain yourself. It's just not really helping me with my request.

1 hour ago, Yota_Ninja said:

@System Error Message

1) I believe servers cool well because that's exactly what they're designed to do. Very small, high RPM fans to push/pull as much air through the enclosure as possible with no regard to noise since they are mostly stuffed away in a server closet, or in a communications center. I can't really agree that this same logic applies to cases, as not all smaller cases are designed equally. It's just as much about getting the air in, as it is about making sure the air can maintain its flow.

2) I don't understand why you believe hard drives should be mounted sideways. I'm not opposed to this mounting option, I just don't think it's a "should be."
3) That's a given, and a big reason why I am being so picky. Features are subjective. 5.25 bays nowadays are features, it seems.

I don't think you fully read the OP or any of the replies before you came up with your response. I don't plan on water cooling, I am downgrading my HAF-X to a more minimalist styled case. I am not worried about populating the entire system, for instance my HAF-X is currently under-populated. I don't want to add another 5.25 bay expansion just for front I/O and I mentioned that only having 2 USB ports isn't a case killer for me. I don't have any plans now, or for the future to utilize hot swap bays. My current case already offers that ability, and I have yet to utilize it.

I do appreciate the reply, and the time you took to explain yourself. It's just not really helping me with my request.

actually your approach to a more minimalistic case is good. Im just giving you some tips in what to look for in a case.

Servers are cool because of their cooling design which isnt about the fan but rather a streamlined airflow, and thats whats good to have in a case such as front to back fans and enclosed sides without holes.

Side mounted as in rather than front to back, side to side drives. The reason is just to do with space and ease of mounting. Its easier to insert a drive from the side than from the back which can get in the way of GPUs and such.

Theres nothing wrong about wanting 5.25 bays, plenty of uses so, im just saying that more 5.25 bays isnt a bad thing as theres a lot of good features you can have if you dont mind spending.

Not sure why you dont want to use expansion bays for front IO as the front IO on the case itself basically is the same thing. You could have various things other than usb and front audio such as esata, usb c, SD cards, and perhaps even more.

I did read the responses and the OP, many of the cases suggested are good.

• 2 weeks later...

@TVwazhere

I really like that Luxe. I need to check thermal level reviews for it, but other than that, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'm most likely going to pick that bad boy up! Thank you for the recommendation. Funny enough, one of my 5.25 bays is for a fan controller, but the LUXE comes with one already installed. I can re-purpose my manual fan controller, though.

Regarding the Dark Base Pro 900, I watched that review prior to leaving my comment. I think it's a great case, just not really what I'm looking for but thank you again for the recommendation.

Your running into the same issue i was. I am running a TJ07 which is a beautiful case but i am no longer water cooling so i need more air, I picked the Corsair obsidian 750D high air flow. The only check mark it doesn't do is the PSU cover. which would put you in corsair 900d territory .

@Nightmaresmk

Yup! I really love the look of that case, but that was the only drawback for me. I might build in that case in the future, after I learn how to 3D model stuff (to make a shroud).

The Phanteks Luxe came in on Friday, and I just pulled it out of the box to snap a quick pic. I'm hoping to swap my build on Tuesday. Going to use this opportunity to teach my younger brother about PC's and see if it sparks his interest.

Some PC Case pr0n for those interested. Really loving the look of this case. (Before you judge, crappy lighting, phone pic, and uploaded from discord because 2lazy to upload to my google drive)

Spoiler

yrJRiHr.jpg

14 hours ago, Nightmaresmk said:

Yeah i am waiting for my 750 d now.

Same here, ordered a 750D as part of my new upgrade yesterday as well :D

On 10.10.2017 at 2:23 PM, TVwazhere said:

worst case ive ever bought tbh.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Just now, DarkSmith2 said:

worst case ive ever bought tbh.

Please evaluate. I havent heard anyone say that before