i5 8400 vs ryzen 5 1600

Hello there, in a week or so I want to build a new pc, but i don t know what cpu should i be using. I have to choose a 180-200$ cpu for my budget.

I have to choose between i5 8400 and ryzen 5 1600. If i go ryzen i will take a b350 mobo so i ll overclock the chip as far as possible, because

i want the full potential for my money..

If the gaming result is 5 fps or so lower than the other it doesn t bother me, but i d want to stream 720p60 and i can' t see any stream test with the i5 8400, 

and i kind of do entry level productivity to. I mean i won t stream every day, and not very demanding games, but i need a cpu that is decent in doing that task.

Should i wait to see more about coffe lake? What do you think? Wich of them are better for future proof?

if you want to stream i think id recomend the 1600 for the extra threads, they should perform equally in games, at least once you overclock the 1600. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'd say get the 1600, news I've heard is that the chipsets launching with the 8th gen will only support one gen, that and the 1600 has shown itself to be quite capable of handling gaming and streaming, the 8400 will probably have some stream jittering issues somewhere along the lines of a 7700k

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Go with AM4 and Ryzen 5

You also get a cooler with the cpu which is good enough for stock speeds and even some small overclocking and if you want to push it all the way to 3.9..4 ghz and you're not happy with the stock cooler performance, you can always buy later a better cooler.

The motherboards are also cheaper, around 75$ for basic b350 chipset motherboards, around 90-100$ for boards that are very good for overclocking. Boards for 8400 start now from around 120$ and they're way basic-er compared to amd boards (few usb ports, no m.2 , very light).

You can take the money and put it towards better video card.

As for streaming, if you have a modern video card like RX series or GTX 1060 and higher, you can use the hardware encoders on the video cards to encode and stream, so your processor won't be used for encoding (except for encoding the audio, which won't use a lot of processor time).

OBS and XSplit both know to encode using you video card or your processor, it's up to you how you want to stream.

You can encode with your processor and it will give you better quality compared to encoding with your video card but for some games it doesn't matter much. You'd also want to encode with your processor if you have really low internet speeds, for example if you have to stream using only 2-3 mbps for that 720p stream - encoding with your processor will help retain more quality in that low amount of bitrate, hardware encoders in video cards need more bits to encode content but they do it fast and without using the processor.

18 minutes ago, imstrik3r said:

Hello there, in a week or so I want to build a new pc, but i don t know what cpu should i be using. I have to choose a 180-200$ cpu for my budget.

I have to choose between i5 8400 and ryzen 5 1600. If i go ryzen i will take a b350 mobo so i ll overclock the chip as far as possible, because

i want the full potential for my money..

If the gaming result is 5 fps or so lower than the other it doesn t bother me, but i d want to stream 720p60 and i can' t see any stream test with the i5 8400, 

and i kind of do entry level productivity to. I mean i won t stream every day, and not very demanding games, but i need a cpu that is decent in doing that task.

Should i wait to see more about coffe lake? What do you think? Wich of them are better for future proof?

Four sure the 1600 you gave me no reason to choose the 8400 the AM4 platform will last longer to 2020 so you can pop a brand new Ryzen 3 in 2020 and get higher IPC and probably higher overclocks. 

I don't trust Intel enough to allow that type of upgradability 

Second you said you want to OC well can't do that on the 8400 sorry its not "unlocked" but the 1600 is and you will get a 3.8ghz OC at least on it probably even with the stock cooler lol. 

Main thing i want to say is do not get MSI b350 boards or Gigabyte try and get a Asrock or Asus one. 

Yeah, 1600 over 8400 just because threads. If you're getting an aftermarket cooler anyway, consider the 1600x. $20-$30 for an extra 400MHz base clock speed was worth it to me

Go with the AM4 platform and ryzen 5, you get extra cores/threads and its also unlocked for overclocking, not to mention that you get a decent cooler in the box, if your not happy with temps from the stock coolers performance, than you can easily purchase an aftermarket cooler which will help with keeping the temps down while overclocking. The B350 motherboards are also cheaper and more affordable with ryzen processors while coffelake motherboards will be more expensive, especially at starting prices. The non hyperthreaded 6c/6t core i5-8400 does have its limitations when it comes to gaming and streaming and also lacks overclocking support. For "future" proofing, the AM4 platform is supported until 2020 and AMD promises backwards compatibaility with its motherboards which means you can easily upgrade to a different ryzen processor with a completely different arhcitecture in the future if you want to.

I5 8400 would be a much better deal with cheaper H310 motherboards and cheap ram, according to benchmarks i5 performs just like r5 in content creation and much better in gaming.SMT on r5 is pointless because i5 and r5 have different architectures and different implementations of smt, compare quad r5s to quad i5s, they perform identically and worse in gaming.

You'd be good with either one, but since you're planning on streaming I'd say the 1600 seems like the better choice here thanks to the extra threads.