Game stutter but high FPS?

Crimson L

Hey, 

I'm aware there are quite a few threads on all sorts of websites talking about the same issue, but none of them have managed to help me so far; was hoping I could get some help here though ^_^.

So before I start rambling on, here are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel i5 - 6600 3.3 GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3gb 

RAM: Avexir core DDR4 2x4GB (not sure on the speed)

Boot drive: Sandisk 120gb SSD

HDD for games: WD 2TB (again, not sure on the speed)

PSU: Corsair CS Series CS650M ATX

If I've missed any specs that might be relevant please let me know.

Now, I'm aware my PC obviously isn't the highest specced by any means, but I know it can run games. I have been able to play The Witcher 3 on 1080p quite fine with minor hiccups in the past. However more recently I have noticed many of the games I want to play just have constant frame rate stutter, despite me getting high frames. Some of the games I get these issues on include:

• PUBG
  • H1Z1 (which I used to be able to run fine in the past?)
  • GTA (5) Online (again, used to be able to run fine)
  • Hitman (2016)
  • Fortnite
  • Battlefield 1
  • Black Ops 3

I seem to be having no issues on many of my favourite games though, such as Battlefield 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, Cities Skylines, Rust, and Arma 3. I can run all of these games in high FPS (excluding Arma ofc) but I still get my game freezing every 5-10 seconds for about a second. I know the issue does not stem from temps, because they're nice and low. I've run Afterburner while running these games and neither my GPU or CPU are being maxed out by any means (but I can't seem to get a recording when my game stutters because Afterburner stutters with it). The only two things I can really see being the issue is either my HDD or my RAM. I know I am not running out of memory on my RAM, and my HDD has been defragmented in the past to try solve this issue, but still to no avail.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this, because I'm stumped. If you need anymore info to help me be sure to let me know.

P.s I've already done the basic things people recommend such as updating drivers etc. 

4 minutes ago, Crimson L said:

Hey, 

I'm aware there are quite a few threads on all sorts of websites talking about the same issue, but none of them have managed to help me so far; was hoping I could get some help here though ^_^.

Now, I'm aware my PC obviously isn't the highest specced by any means, but I know it can run games. I have been able to play The Witcher 3 on 1080p quite fine with minor hiccups in the past. However more recently I have noticed many of the games I want to play just have constant frame rate stutter, despite me getting high frames. Some of the games I get these issues on include:

• PUBG
  • Hitman (2016)
  • Fortnite
  • Battlefield 1
  • Black Ops 3

I seem to be having no issues on many of my favourite games though, such as Battlefield 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, Cities Skylines, Rust, and Arma 3. I can run all of these games in high FPS (excluding Arma ofc) but I still get my game freezing every 5-10 seconds for about a second. I know the issue does not stem from temps, because they're nice and low. I've run Afterburner while running these games and neither my GPU or CPU are being maxed out by any means (but I can't seem to get a recording when my game stutters because Afterburner stutters with it). The only two things I can really see being the issue is either my HDD or my RAM. I know I am not running out of memory on my RAM, and my HDD has been defragmented in the past to try solve this issue, but still to no avail.

Hopefully someone knows how to fix this, because I'm stumped. If you need anymore info to help me be sure to let me know.

P.s I've already done the basic things people recommend such as updating drivers etc. 

It’s probably because of the 3gb of vram. Lower the textures and detailed from ultra or high to medium and it will stop stuttering. Why did you cheap out on the graphics card tho, the 6gb model is like 20-40$ more.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

stutter is because your cpu has only 4 threads so just make sure you have no background processes running

Just now, ImNotThere said:

stutter is because your cpu has only 4 threads so just make sure you have no background processes running

Nah, 4 cores 4 threads are more than enough for 2017 1080p gaming.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

It’s probably because of the 3gb of vram. Lower the textures and detailed from ultra or high to medium and it will stop stuttering. Why did you cheap out on the graphics card tho, the 6gb model is like 20-40$ more.

I live in the UK, and the price difference was like £100 at the time, because of all the miners :dry:

I still get stuttering no matter the texture settings.

Just now, Crimson L said:

I live in the UK, and the price difference was like £100 because of all the miners :dry:

I still get stuttering no matter the texture settings.

Then close all the apps in the background, and also check if all the 8gb of ram is being used. 8gb of ram is good for gaming at the moment with only battlefield 1 surpassing that, but that will affect FPS not stuttering 

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Also, that’s to be expected from pubg because of the lack of optimization. I have a pretty decent rig https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xyCHN and it still stutters SOME times. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Then close all the apps in the background, and also check if all the 8gb of ram is being used. 8gb of ram is good for gaming at the moment with only battlefield 1 surpassing that, but that will affect FPS not stuttering 

Yeah, I've tried that in the past. I've tried to do all the basic troubleshooting steps before posting on a forum because I didn't want to waste anyone's time. My FPS in Battlefield is great, I can get 60 with little issues if I just don't run it on Ultra. All of the games I have mentioned are ones I can (or used to be able to) run on steady frame rates. It's only over the past few months I have been having these issues on certain games.

1 minute ago, Gpuprodamnn said:

Also, that’s to be expected from pubg because of the lack of optimization. I have a pretty decent rig https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xyCHN and it still stutters SOME times. 

Yeah PUBG is a b*tch from what I've heard. That's probably the one exception to the games I can run. 

If the issue is just my PC simply isn't good enough for the games I like to play, then I'll just upgrade, but I wanted to make sure first. 

Here is a video of the game just freezing for a millisecond every so often (it's running on medium). 

23 hours ago, Crimson L said:

snip~

have you tried checking your hard drive status... health and performance, i assume all games are installed on the 2TB HDD... try checking using HDSentinel... if all are 100% then try to defrag it. 

On 06/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, rheyL said:

have you tried checking your hard drive status... health and performance, i assume all games are installed on the 2TB HDD... try checking using HDSentinel... if all are 100% then try to defrag it. 

Just gave HDSentinel a go, and everything's at 100%. Tried a defrag in the past, but I'll give it another go. Thanks for the help.

I would say;

It's not the HDD. The game has already loaded into RAM.

Not the CPU as the sound is not effected (or is it?)

I wouldn't think it's the GPU as the FPS is high (from what you've said) and if your VRAM was low then you would get far worse game play then a 1/2 second stutter. Also the stutter is not effected by quality which would point back to the CPU. However CPU is most likely already ruled out because of the sound not also stuttering. However listen for stutter, is kinda sounds like the sound is "in the wind" it flutters by waiting for the next sound effect.

So, I would think it's either a driver issue, which is unlikely as you would most probably also get some kind of corruption along with the stutter.

I would point to RAM. Not faulty ram but incorrect settings used. Either the RAM has been overclocked or you've used the wrong speed / timings / volts.

That would be my educated guess.

Edit: This is assuming you haven't overclocked anything (it being a 6600 non K version)

It's not a race to the bottom.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, i have the same problem as described my components are these:

ryzen 1600 3.8 ghz 1.250v    50-60° in games

msi mortar b350m bios 1.0.0.6

ram g-skill 3200 mhz c16 x.m.p profile

msi rx 480 8 gb 60-70° in games

evga b3 550w full modular 

toshiba hdd 1tb

First i say tha i had problem after updating my 2 old motherboard asrock ab350m pro 4 in bios somehow the bios successfully installed (this is what the mobo say) kill the mobos? but 2 in a row so i think that maybe an unstable system can cause bad update but i don't know that btw the pc would not boot and after i take my actual mobo from msi.

And now i have this microstuttering problem that i had even before with the old mobos before updating.

So i made many try: 

Reassembly everything and place on my desk ,

I try another psu and hard drive and gpu,

tested the ram with memtest 2 pass,

I installed many version of win 10 1609,1703 and 1709 with only the necessary driver downloaded before,

Disable hpet  and now i don't know what to do i came from sandy bridge and never had of these problem maybe is the cpu faulty?or could be the ram even if memtest passed the test? and yes i tested everything even at stock setting cpu and ram cause i have this pc on my desk back in october 2017 trying to troubleshooting .

Thanks in advice.

capture 1.PNG

On 10/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, Crimson L said:

Hey, 

PSU: Corsair CS Series CS650M ATX

• PUBG
  • Hitman (2016)
  • Fortnite
  • Battlefield 1
  • Black Ops 3

The most recent pascal drivers have been causing stuttering for some people.

You need to uninstall that driver and roll back to an earlier one.

I suggest 388.59 right now.

It seems to be the most stable.

I know this because VR stuff is way more susceptible to frame drop issues and Oculus has been recommending this driver for a couple of weeks now since one of the Nvidia updates broke a bunch of stuff for VR.

Oh, and if your first attempt doesn't work, maybe try uninstalling the driver with DDU in safe mode first. This will rule out a lot of other issues all at once so it's the way to go worse comes to worst.

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/