New Gaming/Workstation Rig

Hello there LTT forums. It's been a long time. Keep in mind that I have fallen slightly out of the loop in terms of the computing industry. 

Anyway, I am planning to replace my current rig that I use for gaming, editing, production work and the odd bit of 3D work as well as the standard day-to-day. 

Location and Budget

I live in Perth, Australia and use AUD. I tend to buy from PLE computers as they are fairly close and have been good to me in the past. I prefer not to buy online, as I have had more than one headache with receiving non-working parts from an online retailer. I have no firm budget but I would like to get good value for money. 

Aim

I plan to use the rig primarily for editing and gaming. I use Premiere to edit most of the time although I also use After Effects. I probably will end up working with 4k footage at some point. Photoshop, Audition, Lightroom,and potentially some sort of CAD work in the future (using windows, will potentially dual boot linux in future).

In terms of gaming, I don't play many triple A or indie games, but I'd like to be able to if I please. I mainly play CS:GO, CSS and CS 1.6 (at 1680x1050 stretched or 1080), GTA5, PUBG, Dirty Bomb and a number of racing games such as Project Cars and Dirt Rally. I'd like to be able to be consistently above 144 fps at 1080p, high settings in most of these games (using 144hz 1080p monitor with a 60hz 1080p monitor off to the side) except for CS. I'd like to be at least above 300fps in CS, but that shouldn't be a problem seeing how easy it is to run, especially since I run low settings. 

Physically, the PC will mostly be sitting at home. It will occasionally be moved downstairs to a TV if I play some co-op couch games or something. It will also be taken to LAN a few times a year. My piorities here sit with it looking subtle, being quiet and reasonably easy to transport. 

Upgrading due to current PC being a bit slow for my liking and a few system failures (pcie slot and dimm slot). 

Parts and Rationale 

CURRENT BUILD: i5 6500, ASUS Z170AR, 16gb ram, 380x, NHD15, Corsair 400Q, Kingson 240gb SSD, SanDisk 480gb SSD, 2 1tb HDDs

CPU: Ryzen 1800x, Threadripper 1900x or i7 7820x. They all sit around a similar price point and seem to have at least comparable specs to some extent, the 1800x being the outlier in some regards. My main concern her is rendering video, as time is often of the essence. The i7 and Threadripper seem to be the best for this, however the Ryzen is a cheaper option in regards to motherboards. It also offers in mITX (I'll talk more about the significance of this when I talk about the case).

MOBO: I have no real preference here except for it being simple in colour scheme, non extended atx and preferably being from ASUS. The ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2 and ASRock X399 Taichi TR4 seem to be good option for Threadripper and the i7, respectively and the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO and the ASRock X370 Fatal1ty mITX seem like solid options for the AM4 platform. 

RAM: I plan to use a 4x8gb kit of HyperX Fury Black 2666. Nothing special here. I like more ram for editing, especially when I'm multitasking with something like Premiere and Illistrator. (plus im a chrome tab whore) 

GRAPHICS: I plan to either use a 1080, 1070 or Vega 56 or 64 when aftermarket models arrive. Again my priorities are a simple colour scheme and being quiet. What will be most appropriate for me? I'd prefer to sit above what I need and future proof (really hate that term, but I dont like constantly upgrading, I prefer to build and forget about my computer for the most part). 

STORAGE: I plan to use a Samsung 850evo 500gb for boot and application and a pair of 6tb WD blacks in raid 1. Prefer to not use m.2,etc as I like to easily take out my drives and run them externally if I need. 

CASE: I have two cases in mind. The Fractle Design R5 is a really solid option it seems and would comfortably fit any of my cooling options, a bluray player, card reader and all the storage i need. It would also be nice and quiet and looks nice and proffesional. The second case is the Define Nano S. I would love a smaller case for ease of portability when going to LAN but I have a number of issues with it. The first is that I would be confined to the AM4 platform (unless anyone knows of any mITX 2066 or TR4 mobos that will be available in the future. The second is the side panel. I don't like having a window. It ruins the acoustics of the system and looks juvenile in my opinion. Does anyone know if you can get a non windowed side panel? Not a huge deal either way. The third problem is that I wouldn't be able to have a bluray player or card reader but whatever. USB options are out there. My biggest problem is with the cooling options but I'll elaborate when I talk about the cooling options I'm considering. 

COOLING: I plan either use the Noctua NHD15 or build a custom loop. My current NHD14 has treated me well. I like how quiet it is, how easy it mounts and I love the aesthetic of noctua fans. The NHD15 seems to be a good pick. My problem with it is that I dont currently see a TR4 mounting option at PLE computers. For now I'm going to assume that a mounting option will be available soon. A second problem is that I dont think i would fit if I went down the route of the mITX build. I have seen some builds in the Nano using this cooler but the side panel cannot fit on. If I can find a solid side panel, are there guides to cutting a hole for the cooler? If I'm stuck with the window it might be a bit harder. Any suggestions? Alternatively would a NHD14 fit? Are they still readily available? Not currently sold at PLE computers. My second option is a custom loop, which I'd like to avoid seeing as how expensive it can be. It would be a simple loop. Single pump and res (where would you mount these in the Nano?), soft tubing, uncoloured coolant, 240/360 rad (depending on case), CPU only. If neither of these come through, I'd consider other options from Noctua and other air recommendations. AIO coolers are out of the question. I've had way too many problems with them in the past. I refuse to use them unless it is something like an EK Predator (which, coming to think of it is also an option. In terms of fans I'd use noctuas on everything, including the rad. 

POWER SUPPLY: I have had my RM700 forever and it has been great so I plan to go with Corsair. I'm considering the Hx850ior 1000i. I know its overkill but I lik emy PSU fan not to turn on for the sake of silence and I would like room for expansion in the future. I'll be using GamerChief cable extensions. Does the Nano have enough room for a full sized supply and enough room behind the mobo for cable extensions? 

Many thanks

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

3 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Should go for a Core 500 instead of a Define Nano, it still supports 240mm AIOs, but is more portable.

If you really want ITX then the 1800X is the clear option, otherwise threadripper is alright if you're ever going to upgrade to more cores or add a lot of NVME drives because of the PCI-e lanes.

Someone just announced an AM4 ITX motherboard today.

Do you really need Blu Ray? Can always get a USB one.

Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks if you want them to run about 2133mhz, not sure if they worked that out yet.

Wendell reviewed the ITX board, no difference between B350 and X370

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

29 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should go for a Core 500 instead of a Define Nano, it still supports 240mm AIOs, but is more portable.

If you really want ITX then the 1800X is the clear option, otherwise threadripper is alright if you're ever going to upgrade to more cores or add a lot of NVME drives because of the PCI-e lanes.

Someone just announced an AM4 ITX motherboard today.

Do you really need Blu Ray? Can always get a USB one.

Ryzen doesn't like 4 sticks if you want them to run about 2133mhz, not sure if they worked that out yet.

Wendell reviewed the ITX board, no difference between B350 and X370

thanks for the link to the mobo review. Missed that. 

Will the ram issues be fixed soon? I don't plant to build for a couple months so that shouldn't plague me too much. 

The core 500 recommendation is appreciated but i prefer to work in more standard cases rather and the Define mimics a more standard ATX case. Plus it will probably be harder to do a custom loop and probably impossible to make a nhd15 work...

The bluray isnt a huge issue. USB will do. 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

5 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Not sure if anyone has done any updates on 4 sticks at high speed on Ryzen, the speed isn't too big of a deal, you can always just buy 2 16GB sticks instead. Ryzen still loves B-die more than anything.

The define Nano S is neat, but it's possibly lacking in some airflow without a mesh front and just kind of a thinner small microATX case, like a Thermaltake Core V21, same like height/depth, just double the width, though that does add more expansion possibilities of course.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133274

Or for ITX check out Lian Li's Cases, I think they're all aluminum, which is going to make them easier to lug around. especially if you fill it with water.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583 50001375 600545970&IsNodeId=1

Was the custom loop going to cover the CPU and GPU?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($398.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($115.00 @ IJK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($209.00 @ Newegg Australia)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($456.50 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($218.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($399.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($399.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($779.00 @ IJK)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.80 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($238.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $3374.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-05 17:14 AEDT+1100
(Ryzen 7 build)

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1900X 3.8GHz 8-Core Processor  ($724.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9 TR4-SP3 78.9 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard  ($489.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($456.50 @ Umart)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($218.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card  ($779.00 @ IJK)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.80 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair - 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($238.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $3964.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-05 17:24 AEDT+1100
(threadripper 1900X build)

1 hour ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

STORAGE: I plan to use a Samsung 850evo 500gb for boot and application and a pair of 6tb WD blacks in raid 1. Prefer to not use m.2,etc as I like to easily take out my drives and run them externally if I need. 

You should probably just invest in a NAS instead of running some hard drives in RAID 1 that's so old school and not a proper back up solution anyways.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Not sure if anyone has done any updates on 4 sticks at high speed on Ryzen, the speed isn't too big of a deal, you can always just buy 2 16GB sticks instead. Ryzen still loves B-die more than anything.

The define Nano S is neat, but it's possibly lacking in some airflow without a mesh front and just kind of a thinner small microATX case, like a Thermaltake Core V21, same like height/depth, just double the width, though that does add more expansion possibilities of course.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133274

Or for ITX check out Lian Li's Cases, I think they're all aluminum, which is going to make them easier to lug around. especially if you fill it with water.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583 50001375 600545970&IsNodeId=1

Was the custom loop going to cover the CPU and GPU?

ill defiantly check out the v21 and the lian lis, thanks. Again, I'd rather fit an NHD15 in than a custom loop, will the v21 or some of the smaller lian lis fit it? Potentially willing to mod the case

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

You should probably just invest in a NAS instead of running some hard drives in RAID 1 that's so old school and not a proper back up solution anyways.

Whats wrong with a raid 1? I already back up important stuff, the raid is more just to save a headache if one of the drives fail, not as a full blown backup solution. A NAS seems overkill for what I am doing for the most part and is just adding to the money I need to spend...

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

7 hours ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

The Core V21 supports up to 185mm coolers

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002559

NHD-15 is 165mm with fans so it should fit fine
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5BC1607

RAID 1 is just so old school, you can build a NAS out of spare parts with freeNAS and even just edit directly off of the NAS potentially, all you really need is 16gbs of RAM minimum, about 1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage, but it's better to go overboard on RAM.

Plus if it's meant to be portable you don't have to take all of the hard drives with you.

Spoiler