gaming system for my brother

snakeman250

just wondering if it is alright he needs a mid range gaming rig for computing the ones and zeros

ram

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-2133C15D-16GVR (RED) 16GB Kit (8Gx2) DDR4 2133 Desktop RAM

gpu

Galax (60NNH7DSL9C3) 3G GTX 1060 OC PCI-E VGA Card

psu

Coolermaster CM STORM Edition GX750 (RS750-ACAAB3) 750Watt 80 Bronze Power Supply Unit

thermal compaund ( an integral part of the build i know )

Arctic Silver 5 AS-AS5-35 3.5gram Thermal Compound

but seriuosly it really increases thermal energy transmission

spinner

WD 3.5" Blue 2TB WD20EZRZ 64M 5400RPM SATA3 HDD

solid state drive

Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB SATA3 SSD Solid State Drive

case

Fractal Design (FD-CA-FOCUS-WT-W) Focus G White ATX USB3.0 Mid Tower Case Without PSU

motherboard

MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

cpu 

AMD YD1700BBAEBOX Ryzen 7 1700 3.0Ghz/8 Core/20M/65W AM4 Boxed CPU (With Cooler)

cooling solution

DeepCool Gamer Storm Captain 240EX (DP-GS-H12L-CT240EX) AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

its missing rbg but i have some led strips that i can plug into an arduino and use potentiometer for control

thank you

change the hdd to a toshiba p300 3tb 7200rpm or if you want to cheap out a little 2tb but 3 is the sweetpoint

Looks good. I would say switch out WD Blue. It only runs at 5400 RPM which is slow. If you want a WD Blue, the faster version is only available in a 1 TB capacity. Otherwise, I would tell you to get a WD Black 2 TB.

get the r5 1600 

the 1700 wont benefit much for gaming + get the asus prime x370 mobo 

and get a better gpu

2 tb was all he needed and he maily works with text

also the ssd is boot drive and some games

get the 850 evo 256gb (will last longer) + better

more expensive but if you save money from getting the asus prime x370 the 1600 (since he mainly works with text and plays games)

Drop down to a B350 board such as the Asus B350-F Strix and get a better 550W psu like the Seasonic Focus Gold. The Crucial MX300 is a good alternative to the 850 EVO if it is cheaper. Also get some faster Ram as Ryzen likes it. Go with 3000MHz or above depending on price.

Get faster RAM for Ryzen. It benefits a lot. 2800 MHz at least. 

Get the 6GB version of the 1060 or get the 1070. The 1070 Ti is supposed to come out soon, so maybe wait for that.

The PSU is very mediocre. Get the CX550M.

The CPU cooler should come with thermal paste. 

Change the HDD to a 7200 RPM unit, and the SSD to something decent. MX300, SL308 and 850 Evo tend to be fairly inexpensive and good. 

Get a decent motherboard. Unless you can get the Xpower Titanium for the price of the B350 Strix, change it. Use this list. X370

Imo, 240mm water coolers are a bit silly. I would get a nice air cooler, such as the NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 3 or Raijintek Tisis. They cool just as well, are quieter, and cost a while lot less. Unless aesthetics is a major concern, I don't think there's much point to get an AiO. 

For gaming, either get the 1600, or wait for the 8600K Coffee Lake. Wait for reviews

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

there is a massive import tax on mother boards in australia so this was the best one i could find for the price

and i bumped up to a 1060 6 gig and the budget is being pushed even without a 1070

2 minutes ago, snakeman250 said:

there is a massive import tax on mother boards in australia so this was the best one i could find for the price

Australia? There's a PCPP site for Australia. For $100 less, you could get the X370 Prime Pro, which is much better

:)

47 minutes ago, snakeman250 said:

No one should buy a 3GB 1060, too limiting for the money. What kind of gaming and at what resolution/refresh rate 1080p 60hz?

MSI's AM4 boards are all pretty bad for the money, ASUS, ASrock,Gigabyte's B350 boards are fine and generally less expensive.

What budget?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?