Apple and Qualcomm’s Billion-Dollar War Over an $18 Part

PCBjon

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-10-04/apple-and-qualcomm-s-billion-dollar-war-over-an-18-part

Apple, the biggest smartphone manufacturer by revenue, was well-positioned to negotiate, and it persuaded Qualcomm to agree to rebates that brought the price of Qualcomm’s license down to about $10 per phone, according to analyst estimates. To get that price, Apple promised not to challenge Qualcomm’s patents. Crucially, though the agreement prevented Apple from encouraging regulators to crack down on Qualcomm, it allowed Apple to truthfully answer questions in any investigation already under way.

Is it not ironic that Apple are mad over Qualcomm patents considering Apple themselves are patent trolls. Or is it a case of Apple biting the hand that feeds.

Does not meet posting guideline and so the thread was moved out of the Tech News section

All i see is a random quote that has no relation to the topic title. What is that $18 dollar part? Look like op never bother to actually read the damn article.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

All i see is a random quote that has no relation to the topic title. What is that $18 dollar part? Look like op never bother to actually read the damn article.

Iv read the "damn article" mate maybe if you have bother to read it you would know what it is instead off been told what it is, use your eyes thats why you have them.

17 minutes ago, PCBjon said:

Snip

So what is that $18 part?

And no it's not the licensing patent!

Btw i did read the article and know what that $18 part is. Want to write tech news topic, then do it properly. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

For those wondering about the $18 part which the title alludes to but doesn't mention anything about in the quote or the OP's assessment of the article...

Somewhere on the board is the baseband processor, aka the modem, which turns radio waves sent from cell towers into voice and data.

“Here it is,” Apple’s Sewell says, sliding a fingernail-size square covered with electrodes across a conference room table: a Qualcomm modem. “That thing sells for about $18.”

He means the chip itself, before any royalties. Qualcomm’s business model, which is either ingenious or diabolical depending on whom you talk to, is to allow any chip company to use its technology royalty-free. Phone manufacturers can choose to buy chips from Qualcomm or one of the other five companies that make modems using Qualcomm’s technology. Either way, they still have to pay Qualcomm its 5 percent.

So basically, the $18 part they're "going to war" over is the modem which Qualcomm provides design specs free of charge but then makes it's money by issuing licenses to build said chip. Quite an ingenious sales model on their part. They don't HAVE to make the chip but still get paid continuously and get more money if the product is in more phones.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

26 minutes ago, PCBjon said:

Iv read the "damn article" mate maybe if you have bother to read it you would know what it is instead off been told what it is, use your eyes thats why you have them.

The point of your news post is to give us a summary that's good enough that we don't have to click the article unless we want as much info as possible.

If we don't even see what the part is in your "summary" that seems to kind of defeat the point...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

As DocSwag said. The core essential of the news should be explained in your own words. The reader should be able to understand the news without reading the title, quote or view the source.

Quote are needed to support what you say or to complete information.

Source is needed to give the interested reader the full information.

In other news, 2 friends kill each other over a $18 part.

Two friends were arguing over this $18 dollar part and one of them threw a dagger striking his friend in the heart. As his friend was falling to the ground, he manages to take out his pistol, hitting his friend in the chest. Both of them died from their injuries.

Maybe if they shared it, then both of them would still be alive!

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Well, Apple being Apple, they probably would've went "lol we'll just make our own modems" if Qualcomm didn't buckle down.

4 hours ago, NinerL said:

Apple is tired of subsidizing low cost phones. CDMA needs to die. 

Well, CDMA is dying. A lot of modern cell networks are making the transition over completely to 4G LTE at some point.