Files Over Direct Ethernet

LtStaffel

Hello,

After (what I consider to be) extensive research, I cannot find how to transfer files over an ethernet cable connecting two PCs directly.

Has anyone done this? (Or know how it would be done?)

Thanks in advance!

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

you map a folder to the network. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you map a folder to the network. 

You may need a special cable where the send and receive wires are reversed on one side. 

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

You may need a special cable where the send and receive wires are reversed on one side. 

no not at all https://www.teamknowhow.com/kit-guide/computing/laptops/dell/inspiron-13-5000/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

it is an ok guide. I just do it without much thinking now. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

9 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Not on newer devices. Crossover cables were needed back before NICs started featuring Auto MDIX (Basically the port does the switching instead of the cable). So as long as one of the two devices is from the past 10 years or so, he should be fine with a regular cable.

You'll need to share a folder to the network on one of the PCs, then you'll be able to access it from the other one connected to it. Plenty of tutorials on Google, how you do it depends on your OS.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

8 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Yeah, unless OP is using two very very old computers Auto-MDIX takes care of that. Also the cable you're referring to is known as a crossover and they're nothing special. It's just T568-A on one end and T568-B on the other.

Above is a conversation about cables, if the computers have gigabit nics, or were made in the last 10 years then there is a high chance you can just connect them direct with a cable.

After connecting cable, assign each NIC manually an ip in the same subnet. e.g.

192.168.10.1/24 and

192.168.10.2/24

Then, if you are using windows you can use Windows built-in file sharing;

if you are using linux or bsd you can use rsync.

You can use rsync in windows too but i dont want to explain that.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You can use rsync in windows too but i dont want to explain that.

you didn't really "explain" it for linux either though :P

in windows the equivalent command is robocopy, unless you're talking about using cygwin to run actual rsync or something like that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

you didn't really "explain" it for linux either though :P

in windows the equivalent command is robocopy, unless you're talking about using cygwin to run actual rsync or something like that

yea i dont have time to write a tutorial, I just wanted to name drop so the OP knows what to google.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

yea i dont have time to write a tutorial, I just wanted to name drop so the OP knows what to google.

Yeah

To add to your post, here's a picture in case that helps OP

Capture.PNG.26ca8b47a2080f36b79ff9002e15bfca.PNG

This is where you go and what to put in.  On one machine make it .1 and on the other make it .2, for example.

Then you'll want to setup a shared folder.  

2.PNG.76bbe97ff29bb9e2d1c6b838fcacf175.PNG

This is pretty open but at least it will work.  You may have to add permissions to the security tab locally to match the shared permissions though.

Also back to the first picture, where it says "change advanced sharing settings", go down to the bottom and set it like this

3.PNG.fe52d11b2e7fc5bb01fcea514edb3723.PNG

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, unless OP is using two very very old computers Auto-MDIX takes care of that. Also the cable you're referring to is known as a crossover and they're nothing special. It's just T568-A on one end and T568-B on the other.

Contrary to popular belief, a cable with T568A on one end and T568B on the other does not make a crossover cable. If you look at the wires used for send and receive for 100Mb and gigabit, you will notice that the wires for 100Mb are crossed over, but the other two pairs aren't. This cable happens to work as a crossover cable at 100Mb, but not for gigabit. I haven't seen a NIC yet that was able to flip just two of the four pairs, Auto-MDIX flips all four pairs at the same time. This means if you are using such a cable, the speed and duplex negotiation often takes a long time, and 100Mb full duplex is usually the result, but I have seen NICs that either dropped to 10Mb Half Duplex, or refused to link at all. So if you want a crossover cable, either buy one premade, or build it properly with all 4 pairs crossed, but don't just use A on one end and B on the other.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

9 hours ago, avg123 said:

Not worth it if you dont have gigabit ethernet. 

I have Cat6 cables, if that is what you mean.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

16 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

nope you dont 

17 hours ago, brwainer said:

Contrary to popular belief, a cable with T568A on one end and T568B on the other does not make a crossover cable. If you look at the wires used for send and receive for 100Mb and gigabit, you will notice that the wires for 100Mb are crossed over, but the other two pairs aren't. This cable happens to work as a crossover cable at 100Mb, but not for gigabit. I haven't seen a NIC yet that was able to flip just two of the four pairs, Auto-MDIX flips all four pairs at the same time. This means if you are using such a cable, the speed and duplex negotiation often takes a long time, and 100Mb full duplex is usually the result, but I have seen NICs that either dropped to 10Mb Half Duplex, or refused to link at all. So if you want a crossover cable, either buy one premade, or build it properly with all 4 pairs crossed, but don't just use A on one end and B on the other.

An interesting fact that I was not aware of. Does the correct color order have a name to make it a crossover cable? I assume depending on if A or B is on one end it will affect the color order differently on the other.

5 hours ago, LtStaffel said:

I have Cat6 cables, if that is what you mean.

No what is your LAN card on both your PC? 

What you need:
1. A LAN cable.No need for crossover cable. Any LAN cable will do.

The basic criteria for transferring the file is:
            i.The two computers must be on the same Workgroup
            ii.The computers must have same subnet mask
            iii.The two computers must have different IP address

Step 1:Connect the two computers directly using LAN cable.Now both computer will show "Unidentified network" and a little exclamation mark!

Step 2: To make the computers have same Workgroup:

Press Windows+X and click select System.
then click Advanced System Properties>Computer Name>Change>

The default workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".

Do this in both computers and make sure the workgroup name is same.You can keep the default name or change it but both computers MUST have SAME workgroup name.

Step 3:Changing the IP Address and Subnet Mask

Open Network and Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings

right click Ethernet/Local Area Connection and go to Properties

Double click tcp/ipv4 and and select "Use following IP Address" and give IP Address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet mask 255.55.255.0.  Leave the other fields blank .

In the second computer give IP address 192.168.0.2 and Subnet mask 255.255.255.0.leave other fields blank.

You can give any IP address and Subnet mask you want as long as it is same Subnet mask and different IP address.

Step 4: Now open My Computer and click Network. If it gives the message "Network discovery is turned off.Click here to turn on network discovery" ,do it and turn on Network Discovery

Step 5: By default you can only access the User folder of the other computer. If you want to access other folder or drives right click on it and and select properties. select sharing>advanced sharing setings>turn on sharing and select permission and select full control*(if u need it).

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

An interesting fact that I was not aware of. Does the correct color order have a name to make it a crossover cable? I assume depending on if A or B is on one end it will affect the color order differently on the other.

The correct name is a crossover cable. There isn't anything like "TIA-568B-reversed", even if that's essentially what you are doing. Its also important to note that there is a difference between a crossover cable and a rollover cable.

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

The correct name is a crossover cable. There isn't anything like "TIA-568B-reversed", even if that's essentially what you are doing. Its also important to note that there is a difference between a crossover cable and a rollover cable.

Then hopefully I don't find myself ever needing one. Though it's just the order of the wires. I can look up the order if I really need one (I'm use to making custom length strait-through cables). Rollover sounds familiar. Can't recall exactly what it was or its primary application. I'm thinking it either had something to do with Serial cables or connecting a RS232 port to the Console port on a network device.

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Then hopefully I don't find myself ever needing one. Though it's just the order of the wires. I can look up the order if I really need one (I'm use to making custom length strait-through cables). Rollover sounds familiar. Can't recall exactly what it was or its primary application. I'm thinking it either had something to do with Serial cables or connecting a RS232 port to the Console port on a network device.

Yes a "Cisco Console Cable" uses rollover. This was then copied by almost every other company - I've used the same cable on both Cisco and HP switches.

7 hours ago, brwainer said:

Yes a "Cisco Console Cable" uses rollover. This was then copied by almost every other company - I've used the same cable on both Cisco and HP switches.

I think Cisco charges more for their enterprise devices than they're worth, like their 2960 switches and 1941 routers. Apple isn't any better with their consumer products. Their profit margin is huge then they stick you with how everything is proprietary and you can only use their accessories with their devices. I'm glad their console cable got ripped off. If I recall correctly Cisco wanted something like $50 for one. I'm sure the manufacturing cost was less than $1.