Issues with Windows 10 Taskbar Shortcuts

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
7 minutes ago, jamesneakz said:

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro last weekend using the upgrade assistant from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade which is still an official way to get it

P.S.

That was an awesomely quick reply

The windows upgrade process is broken.

Half the time it doesn't work at all.

The other half it causes issues, like you are seeing right now.

It's only going to get worse over time, you will see programs crashing, windows updates failing, disk usage spikes, etc etc etc.

The only way to fix it is to do a clean install, which is what you should have done in the first place.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

I'm having this weird issue with the right click menu on the taskbar as you can see in the image. I can't use the right click menu to open multiple windows for one application from the taskbar. I have the same issue with things like steam where right clicking items in the menu creates the same small blank box.

For some reason though this doesn't happen in when safe mode

I've tried

• running sfc /scannow
  • safe mode
  • booting with no startup apps

and nothing has worked

jump list issue.PNG

How did you install windows 10?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

7 minutes ago, jamesneakz said:

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro last weekend using the upgrade assistant from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade which is still an official way to get it

P.S.

That was an awesomely quick reply

It's only going to get worse over time, you will see programs crashing, windows updates failing, disk usage spikes, etc etc etc.

The only way to fix it is to do a clean install, which is what you should have done in the first place.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

bl**dy hell, I was hoping that wouldn't be necassary.

and that also means an awful lot of programs to reinstall

and a lot of time.

would you suggest rolling back to Win 8.1 for the time being?

9 minutes ago, jamesneakz said:

bl**dy hell, I was hoping that wouldn't be necassary.

and that also means an awful lot of programs to reinstall

and a lot of time.

would you suggest rolling back to Win 8.1 for the time being?

Do you have a backup?

Because undoing the upgrade process sometimes corrupts the OS and then you will certainly be forced to clean install.

I would suggest moving your data to another drive (or buying a new SSD/HDD) and clean installing windows.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Do you have a backup?

Because undoing the upgrade process sometimes corrupts the OS and then you will certainly be forced to clean install.

I would suggest moving your data to another drive (or buying a new SSD/HDD) and clean installing windows.

I had a feeling something would go wrong with 10, had something each and every time before, upgrade or clean:

1. Nvidia Drivers uninstalled every-other boot
  2. ran poorly, had software comatability issues
  3. I think I tried a third time and hated it or something
  4. (this time) well, you know what happened

Thankfully all my Docs, Downloads etc. are on my tertiary drive, so it's the programs and a few bits and pieces that'll end up being the main cause of frustration when clean installing. Also having to go and redo all the stuff to stop "Silent App Installs" and adding back the "Open Command Window Here" option, not to mention uninstalling all the bloat that 10 comes with. I'll have to wait for the moment, I need a working computer that has all my stuff on it for school and stuff

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Do you have a backup?

thanks for your help Enderman, I'll do a clean install of some kind soon!