What should I blow up first

Lord Nicoll

So, I have this thing, a 400v DC 12*4700 μF (0.0564 Farads) capacitor bank that makes me laugh. I already eroded the teeth on some welding clamps right down from just sparking it off metal plates. Now I'm wondering what I blow to kingdom come before it's joined with it's brethren in a railgun. I have the proper 40mm*5mm copper bus bar, the bus bars on it now are pretty anemic for the surge currents. 

22140694_1672150922803488_148544726_o.jpg

Yours faithfully

Blow up another capacitor. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, Damascus said:

7980XE

I don't think bank is strong enough, it's only about 3600 Joules, that I9 eats like 1WK when seriously overclocked. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Blow up another capacitor. ;)

I can do that, easily,. 320v vs a 16v cap in the wrong polarity would wreck it. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Lightbulbs, try to get them to at least 1KV though by doing series sets of capacitors

That's what the other 3 banks are for, they're charged in parallel then a novelty sized contactor switches to series. should be 1200v. It might be hard to find old school light bulbs here, they're banned. I might be able to get a Xenon arc light but they're kinda too awesome to blow up, plus they sometimes do that anyways.   

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Now I'm wondering what I blow to kingdom come before it's joined with it's brethren in a railgun. 

welp. if he stops using the forum we know what happened

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Just now, SlipperyPete said:

haha, well this is the 3rd test of such a device, and the most powerful. So I doubt I'll die, if someone does it'd be the one nearest the device. 

Yours faithfully

11 minutes ago, SlipperyPete said:

This was just 6 of these, dumped straight into steel. Really pretty, this was a very early test a number of months ago. 

Yours faithfully

On 9/29/2017 at 11:21 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

That's what the other 3 banks are for, they're charged in parallel then a novelty sized contactor switches to series. should be 1200v. It might be hard to find old school light bulbs here, they're banned. I might be able to get a Xenon arc light but they're kinda too awesome to blow up, plus they sometimes do that anyways.   

Get a classic/old game boy or old phone and charge it at 12kV. NO RESISTORS!! 

Or see what happens if you hook it up to a AAAA battery forwards and backwards. 

Just now, fpo said:

Get a classic/old game boy or old phone and charge it at 12kV. NO RESISTORS!! 

Or see what happens if you hook it up to a AAAA battery forwards and backwards. 

Battery Be GoneTM is all I can think of. I don't actually think that would be very interesting though, good ones are designed to fail in a controlled manner, maybe some Chinese crap.

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Battery Be GoneTM is all I can think of. I don't actually think that would be very interesting though, good ones are designed to fail in a controlled manner, maybe some Chinese crap.

Aww, I'm in an intro to D.C. Circuits class so I don't know too much of how batteries work yet but my teacher said it's very bad to plug in batteries backwards. Mostly it just lowers voltage by the amount of the battery but in large ratios it can be bad. 

I was curious if the battery battery would just melt, or explode haha. 

Maybe buy some bacon? Cooked at 12kV. 

Double post, sorry but I saw a cool video where electricity burns cool designs into wood. I don't know if you need a special oil or anything but I'm sure it's findable.

Just now, fpo said:

Aww, I'm in an intro to D.C. Circuits class so I don't know too much of how batteries work yet but my teacher said it's very bad to plug in batteries backwards. Mostly it just lowers voltage by the amount of the battery but in large ratios it can be bad. 

I was curious if the battery battery would just melt, or explode haha. 

Maybe buy some bacon? Cooked at 12kV. 

12kv would be 12,000v, 1.2KV is what my bank would do. Capacitors discharge their power instantly. And yeah the bettery would probably become a bomb, even just 12 caps in parallel would be like 3600 joules, that's a lot of power for an instant.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

12kv would be 12,000v, 1.2KV is what my bank would do. Capacitors discharge their power instantly. And yeah the bettery would probably become a bomb, even just 12 caps in parallel would be like 3600 joules, that's a lot of power for an instant.

Sorry I misread what you said you have lol.

Off by just a teensy unimportant ignorable amount. /S

Right now gameboys and batteries are the coolest things coming to mind to blow up unless you want to try instant bacon lol. 

Have you ever tried cooking at 1.2 instant kV? 

Theres a few videos on youtube by photonicinduction and afrotechmods of exactly this kind of thing.

Although they used 2kV, 200uF and 12V 560F (Farads, not a typo). 

anyway, have fun :) 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s