RX480 XFire

ksalak

Ok. To keep this clear, this a conversation about my CROSSFIRE CONFIGURATION, and has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROCESSOR I'M RUNNING. I am here to find out what is wrong with my GRAPHICS CARDS, NOT MY PROCESSOR.

With that being said:

FX-8350 non OC'd

2X Powercolor Red Devil RX 480's in XFire (yes ik that used to be a platform, RIP)

Corsair CX750M Power Supply

Ok. So. Got my config set up and thought I'd run a game. turns out my watt meter hits ~401 watts and my screen goes black along with my fans on the top card blowing full turbine engine.So I run another game, same stupid sh*t. Someone tell me whats wrong, and IT ISNT A PROCESSOR ISSUE.

Thanks.

PS-If you couldn't tell I'm super pis*ed about this. 

5 minutes ago, ksalak said:

Ok. To keep this clear, this a conversation about my CROSSFIRE CONFIGURATION, and has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROCESSOR I'M RUNNING. I am here to find out what is wrong with my GRAPHICS CARDS, NOT MY PROCESSOR.

With that being said:

FX-8350 non OC'd

2X Powercolor Red Devil RX 480's in XFire (yes ik that used to be a platform, RIP)

Corsair CX750M Power Supply

Ok. So. Got my config set up and thought I'd run a game. turns out my watt meter hits ~401 watts and my screen goes black along with my fans on the top card blowing full turbine engine.So I run another game, same stupid sh*t. Someone tell me whats wrong, and IT ISNT A PROCESSOR ISSUE.

Thanks.

PS-If you couldn't tell I'm super pis*ed about this. 

What games?  I do know some games don't support xfire or SLI.  I know Mass Effect franchise didn't really care for the xfire in my old setup at all.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

im trying to run damn CSGO and MAYBE try a furmark.

Xfire is still a thing... for DX11. anyway why are you so convinced it's not your CPU? what else have you tested?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

12 minutes ago, ksalak said:

Sounds like your power supply then.

how do you have the GPUs hooked up to the PSU?

Do you have Ashes or Dues Ex Mankind Divided? They have near 100% scaling with 2 GPUs.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I do not, is that a game i should buy and install pronto?

1 minute ago, ksalak said:

No that'd be a waste, if you happened to have it, it's a decent way to test your multi-GPU set up.

Probably need an image of your PC.

May also need to reinstall your drivers.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Sounds like your power supply then.

how do you have the GPUs hooked up to the PSU?

Do you have Ashes or Dues Ex Mankind Divided? They have near 100% scaling with 2 GPUs.

literally the only 2 games tho XDDDDD i die inside a bit every time. all the dreams of multi GPU. buy one now, a second one later.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3dmark also scale very well and is free (demo on steam) if you want to test it that way

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

literally the only 2 games tho XDDDDD i die inside a bit every time. all the dreams of multi GPU. buy one now, a second one later.

Well AMD did just put out that chart for multi GPU on Vega that seemed promising. Not sure anyone has confirmed the results yet.

Spoiler

Are you trying to run both GPUs off of one cable?

Spoiler

~401W seems very low for your setup in load conditions.

What happens if you run just one card in the system?

To me it seems like you're tripping overcurrent protection on your PSU.

Do you have the old CX750M? (with the green sticker)

7 minutes ago, ksalak said:

maybe, that's all my power supply can handle

Okay ya, if it's the green label it's low end as shit and only has 1 PCI-e output. Very likely your problem.

You got a budget for a new PSU?

Also never overclock those 480s, and do not run furmark ever.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ksalak said:

maybe, that's all my power supply can handle

Your psu is a 750w, it should be able to handle it.

Make sure you're on the latest drivers.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Your PSU should come with 2 PCI-e cables with 6+2 * 2 pins on each end. Though it is a rather low end power supply overall. 3/5 on newegg. It's the leading suspect anyways.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

*The old one might be different ya

CX750m is a fine psu. Not sure why there are so many bad reviews tbh

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Now why would it be fine if it has so many bad reviews...

Actually here it is
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416

scored 7.1/10. Where anything below 8 is probably bad. * I mean not really, but probably.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Because there are 2 versions.

Old one (green sticker)

New one (white sticker)

the old one is trash and meant for office PC.

New one is good.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Because there are 2 versions.

Old one (green sticker)

New one (white sticker)

the old one is trash and meant for office PC.

New one is good.

Ah I see what you're saying.

Everyone reviewed the wrong psu

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey all, 

After further reviewing and troubleshooting, It's the sh*t card that I bought of eBay. NEVER buy from eBay. It was a miner card.

I uh...I'm still looking for the Crossfire bridge on your setup for the past 5 minutes...am I missing something?

Edit: derp...RX don't use bridges anymore

How did you jump to the fact that it's a mined card? Did you contact the seller? Did you review the sale page? Does your motherboard support Crossfire/SLI? Are you trying/what program are you using to overclock? Did you take the cards out and test them one at a time?

That last one is the most important for details. Also, these cards have been out for just over a year. Unless the seller had it mining to the center of the earth, it should still be able to Crossfire without crashing the screen/game.

Crossfire was/is a niche thing anymore. The misconception is that two graphics cards are better than one. Only if the application is Xfire/SLI compatible and even if it is it's only a marginal difference in FPS. Your basically pulling double the wattage for the cards for like 10fps.

Stick to one card, OC the crap out of it and be done.

11 hours ago, ksalak said:

Hey all, 

After further reviewing and troubleshooting, It's the sh*t card that I bought of eBay. NEVER buy from eBay. It was a miner card.

You didn't test it by itself when you first got it?

Spoiler