How feasible is this?

RGProductions

My 668bs are kinda crap now, the body is basically ruined, but the drivers are fine. I'm reasonably skilled with electronics, would it be feasable to go buy some broken headphones and put these drivers in? or am I crazy?

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

or am I crazy?

Absolutely....

/s

Seriously go for it, if it works awesome!

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It will be very diffiuclt but you can try.A alternative stiuation might be(if there loud enough) to tum them into a speaker 

My life

Yes.

45 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

My 668bs are kinda crap now, the body is basically ruined, but the drivers are fine. I'm reasonably skilled with electronics, would it be feasable to go buy some broken headphones and put these drivers in? or am I crazy?

If you have the skills and you can get a broken pair for a low price, then do it. Either you will succeed and or you will learn something. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you have the skills and you can get a broken pair for a low price, then do it. Either you will succeed and or you will learn something. 

Good point.

47 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Yes.

How feasible is this? Yes.

47 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It will be very diffiuclt but you can try.A alternative stiuation might be(if there loud enough) to tum them into a speaker 

Definitely not loud enough for that.

49 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I don't see why not, its not as if the casing really matters electronically

True.

51 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Absolutely....

/s

Seriously go for it, if it works awesome!

Alright cool 

Just now, RGProductions said:

How feasible is this? Yes.

Exactly. As always, read my sig. I intentionally said that in order to show I can't confirm it will work.

34 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Exactly. As always, read my sig. I intentionally said that in order to show I can't confirm it will work.

Of course, Its just a yes/no response to a not yes/no question.

It's $40 free shipping on Newegg. That is pretty cheap, why not new pair instead of Frankenstein-ing? If these were drivers from headphones costing a couple of hundred, sure by all means..but for $40, I'd just get a new pair and call it a day.

For perspective, I just bought dinner for 3 people at Popeye's earlier that was around $34 and change, not much more of a difference and this was food for 1-3 days.

I've replaced the drivers on a fake pair of beats and taken apart countless more headphones with no trouble. Just take the headphones apart, unsolder the 2 wires connected to the driver, plop the new driver in and resolder the 2 wires. Use drivers from the same model, cause otherwise, it might sound muddy if it doesn't (for example) have ventilation.   

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

9 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Not really worth it. Designing headphones isn't as easy as plopping a driver in any enclosure and calling it a day. Different shells can cause ringing/resonance/distortion and whatever that isn't worth the time and cost of just buying new headphones. Not trying to discourage you, but if you're just looking for a quick fix to your problem, this won't work. However, if you are keen to design new headphones and test them, go ahead, just remember that implementation is key.

1 hour ago, seduce_me said:

Not really worth it. Designing headphones isn't as easy as plopping a driver in any enclosure and calling it a day. Different shells can cause ringing/resonance/distortion and whatever that isn't worth the time and cost of just buying new headphones. Not trying to discourage you, but if you're just looking for a quick fix to your problem, this won't work. However, if you are keen to design new headphones and test them, go ahead, just remember that implementation is key.

I'm not looking for a quick fix, but rather a fun project. I'm already going to go buy some new "serious headphones", so it's is just a fun thing in the side.

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

It's $40 free shipping on Newegg. That is pretty cheap, why not new pair instead of Frankenstein-ing? If these were drivers from headphones costing a couple of hundred, sure by all means..but for $40, I'd just get a new pair and call it a day.

For perspective, I just bought dinner for 3 people at Popeye's earlier that was around $34 and change, not much more of a difference and this was food for 1-3 days.

Oh yeah, I'm getting new "serious cans" and just want a fun side project.

27 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I'm not looking for a quick fix, but rather a fun project. I'm already going to go buy some new "serious headphones", so it's is just a fun thing in the side.

Nothing's stopping you

Sound is just as dependent on the housing as the drivers, so don't expect to be getting 668B level results on your first try. That said, it's very much doable and there are some people out there who enjoy transplanting cheap Superlux and Koss drivers into different enclosures. 

Stuff like this hurts me though. KSC75 drivers are good but they're not worth cannibalizing an HD580 for.

2 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Sound is just as dependent on the housing as the drivers, so don't expect to be getting 668B level results on your first try. That said, it's very much doable and there are some people out there who enjoy transplanting cheap Superlux and Koss drivers into different enclosures. 

Stuff like this hurts me though. KSC75 drivers are good but they're not worth cannibalizing an HD580 for.

They are if the 580 has broken drivers.

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

They are if the 580 has broken drivers.

HD580's are HD650 level. KSC75's are $12 portables. Replacement drivers from Sennheiser are ~$50. An HD580 assembly without drivers is still worth quite a bit since it's only ~$120 to upgrade into an HD650.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:20 PM, RGProductions said:

Of course, Its just a yes/no response to a not yes/no question.

You want me to answer how feasible it is? Well, I'll tell you. I DON'T KNOW. It all depends on your ability. Someone with more electrical-engineering knowledge may be able to get it to work. Someone with less knowledge may be able to get it to work. It all depends on your determination. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Just now, MagnesiumPC said:

You want me to answer how feasible it is? Well, I'll tell you. I DON'T KNOW. It all depends on your ability. Someone with more electrical-engineering knowledge may be able to get it to work. Someone with less knowledge may be able to get it to work. It all depends on your determination. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Great point. I'm guessing I can do it, I definitly have an engeneering type mind, and soldering skills, and modifying skills. Now what cans should donate the body...