4k TN vs IPS for Gaming and Video Editing

Centurius

Hey all,

So after spending several years on a 24 inch 1080p TN panel I have decided that it's time to upgrade. As my budget is somewhat limited but I do want a monitor that is reliable in the longterm my eye has fallen on the sub-$500 4k screens around. As it stands I mostly use my rig for gaming (I realize my gpu isn't going to pull 4k but I'll game at a lower resolution until I upgrade to Volta/Navi), additionally I regularly edit videos for my YouTube channel in Premiere Pro and actively use After Effects. Finally with a new gpu and once the support in apps like Netflix is decent I'd also want to use it to watch 4k conten. I've found the ASUS PB287Q for about € 400 which flaunts 10 bit colour(admittedly the fake kind) and does advertise itself as a monitor for prosumers as well as gamers, however with it being released in 2014 and only a TN panel I'm not sure how well it still performs comparatively. It definitely got great reviews at the start but I haven't found more recent ones.

A second option I found are actually two monitors, the LG 27UD58 nd 27UD68, they go for about respectively € 340 and € 440, Both are IPS and seem fairly similar. Both have fake 10 bit and seem to mostly be different when it comes to factors like brightness. adjustment possibilities and a built-in DAC. Both however seem to suffer from backlight bleed and a fairly bad anti-glare coating.

So I'm at a bit of a loss, considering my use cases. Which monitor would be best?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Ehhh I would go for IPS.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

IPS is recommended if you are patient enought to play the backlight-lottery or dont care about backlight bleeding

Regardless of the backbleed, I would go for IPS. After using 24'' 1080 IPs for about 8 years I bought  ASUS PB287Q and the new monitor was so bad and I was so disappointed so I sold it and back to good old IPS... That's just my experience. I know people using TN and don't see difference between IPS and TN and you would not convince them that there are differences :P

Personal preference bro, but I recommend IPS 

I was in a similar position as you (was done with my 24" FHD, wanted a display for gaming and photo/video editing) and went for the 27UD68. 

Colors are nice, but viewing angles are not great due to its backlight bleed.

Otherwise a nice monitor and its aux output drives my headphones just as well as my integrated soundcard (so the one of the motherboard).

Games won't run on a GPU like the 780 (I have an RX 580, so performance is similar). I get 30fps in Skyrim SE regardless of settings, but some games will run just fine (like another game I play, Sonic Generations).

What I am saying, the LG is nice (the difference between the 58 and 68 is the height adjustment), but backlight bleed is not nice to have.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 hours ago, bigneo said:

Regardless of the backbleed, I would go for IPS. After using 24'' 1080 IPs for about 8 years I bought  ASUS PB287Q and the new monitor was so bad and I was so disappointed so I sold it and back to good old IPS... That's just my experience. I know people using TN and don't see difference between IPS and TN and you would not convince them that there are differences :P

Personal preference bro, but I recommend IPS 

Heh, I do have IPS on my ultrabook and have to say I quite like the viewing experience on that so yeah that makes sense. Also thanks for outlining your own experiences with the Asus. 

12 hours ago, Minibois said:

I was in a similar position as you (was done with my 24" FHD, wanted a display for gaming and photo/video editing) and went for the 27UD68. 

Colors are nice, but viewing angles are not great due to its backlight bleed.

Otherwise a nice monitor and its aux output drives my headphones just as well as my integrated soundcard (so the one of the motherboard).

Games won't run on a GPU like the 780 (I have an RX 580, so performance is similar). I get 30fps in Skyrim SE regardless of settings, but some games will run just fine (like another game I play, Sonic Generations).

What I am saying, the LG is nice (the difference between the 58 and 68 is the height adjustment), but backlight bleed is not nice to have.

Really useful, thank you. And yeah I know about the 780 being crap at 4k, a Volta or Navi upgrade is on my buy list down the road but one major expense at a time hehe.

Thank you all for your help, the consensus it clear and has convinced me to go for the 58.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W