Bad pump or did I mess something up?

Dlog
Go to solution Solved by TheNaitsyrk,
20 minutes ago, Dlog said:

Pump doesn't seem to be pushing anything and makes a funky sound. Brand new preassembled D5 pump/res. Is it bad or am I missing something?

Check how he opens it and see if anything's not right in there, or don't bother and RMA.

Pump doesn't seem to be pushing anything and makes a funky sound. Brand new preassembled D5 pump/res. Is it bad or am I missing something?

Sounds like air bubbles in the impeller to me, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say anything for certain.

To me it just sounds like air bubbles passing through, maybe tilting the case while its running will move the air around. Its clear that the radiator is storing some air since it comes back after turning it off.

See if completely bleeding the system resolved your issue.

8 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

Is the pump on full speed?

it's at 100% the power supply is jumppered right now and the pump is hooked up with no PWM control. I'm at the leak testing point and just trying to get thing sorted. 

I've spun this thing on all ends that don't let the pump run dry it still makes that sound and water dosn't seem to move. I was under the impression that the D5 was about 3x the flow rate of my old ddc pump. 

I would say the impeller is disconnected, stuck, or your pump is DOA. Remove the pump open it up and see or RMA your pump...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

20 minutes ago, Dlog said:

Check how he opens it and see if anything's not right in there, or don't bother and RMA.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

That sounds like a hard driver, my guess is the impeller isn't correctly aligned as other mentioned,. Look up the manual for the blown up diagramme of the thing and take it apart.

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That sounds like a hard driver, my guess is the impeller isn't correctly aligned as other mentioned,. Look up the manual for the blown up diagramme of the thing and take it apart.

Since this is pump #2 for me and Raid night is tomorrow I'll go ahead and tear it down to see what I get. Back in a few.

https://imgur.com/a/aHR2g don't see any large issues. The ring holding the pump on was a bit loose. noticed some serious fluid movment after putting it back together. Still makes that same sound. Seemed to drown out a bit as I tilted the case this time. But returned again quickly.

55 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Got it 

after taking it apart one more time and just doing a loop back it's working. Thanks all

Just now, Dlog said:

Got it 

after taking it apart one more time and just doing a loop back it's working. Thanks all

Yea, thought taking it apart would help. Glad I helped!

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

59 minutes ago, TheNaitsyrk said:

Yea, thought taking it apart would help. Glad I helped!

May have spoken too soon, dosn't seem like the pump is pushing correctly. Sound is 90% solved but water dosn't look like it's moving right.

56 minutes ago, Dlog said:

May have spoken too soon, dosn't seem like the pump is pushing correctly. Sound is 90% solved but water dosn't look like it's moving right.

Check temps / open it up again and fiddle with it. I think it's just a matter of adjusting stuff / fiddling with stuff.

Main PC:

9 hours ago, Dlog said:

snip

Ok, did you plug the PWM part of the pump into a header? Without the pump might only run at the lowest speed. Also how full is your reservoir? 

Yours faithfully

10 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Ok, did you plug the PWM part of the pump into a header? Without the pump might only run at the lowest speed. Also how full is your reservoir? 

No that was with the powersuppply jummpered, pump at 100%. The sound went away over night (trapped air i guess?) With everything leak tested I connected everything up, temps seem ok but the CPU is a bit warmer than normal 63C under CPU burner (7700k delided at stock boosting to 4.5). Probably going to tear down and check the CPU block might be some blockage. 

1 minute ago, Dlog said:

No that was with the powersuppply jummpered, pump at 100%. The sound went away over night (trapped air i guess?) With everything leak tested I connected everything up, temps seem ok but the CPU is a bit warmer than normal 63C under CPU burner (7700k delided at stock boosting to 4.5). Probably going to tear down and check the CPU block might be some blockage. 

yeah, my i7 7700K is only like 50°C under load at stock. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

yeah, my i7 7700K is only like 50°C under load at stock. 

My loop is hitting the CPU second tho, not sure if that factors in. I swear it was around 54c before all this with the A240g kit's pump. I did have a second radiator tho a 240 and a 360. I cut the 240 out to free up some space figuring the 360 would be fine with the 1080 and 7700k. I only really play WoW, transcode with handbreak, and play whatever's on sale on steam. 

Just now, Dlog said:

My loop is hitting the CPU second tho, not sure if that factors in. I swear it was around 54c before all this with the A240g kit's pump. I did have a second radiator tho a 240 and a 360. I cut the 240 out to free up some space figuring the 360 would be fine with the 1080 and 7700k. I only really play WoW, transcode with handbreak, and play whatever's on sale on steam. 

I have my VRM first, but no GPU. Order doesn't really matter, what TIM did you use?

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I have my VRM first, but no GPU. Order doesn't really matter, what TIM did you use?

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, just bought everything Rockit Cool had in the store to delid / relid. Generic arctic silver for IHS to CPU block.

Just now, Dlog said:

Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, just bought everything Rockit Cool had in the store to delid / relid. Generic arctic silver for IHS to CPU block.

I'm running Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut all round, but did you apply it right? Although that temp isn't bad, it's not good delid good.

Yours faithfully

10 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm running Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut all round, but did you apply it right? Although that temp isn't bad, it's not good delid good.

All I did was change out the bad kit pump from the A240g for this new D5 one and take out the 240 rad.

Turns out I was wrong, temps were in the same range of ~58-60c before (dug out an old picture https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_p1t2IspE0QNVZrR0d2bFRrQTQ/view

Not bad I guess when nuking the GPU and CPU at the same time.

Edit the temp is both GPU/CPU on same loop maxed out CPU alone is ~50-53C