I7-6700K TO 8700K?

nivra552

Do you think its worth it just for gaming purposes? Im pairing it with a 1080ti and gaming on 1440p monitor...do you have any insights or advice? THANKS! GODBLESS

ATM, not really. It might be worth it if new games and engine revisions can leverage the additional cores or cache in a meaningful way.

But by that time, we might have more powerful processors anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Hard to recommend since more than 8 threads don't scale that much in any games, but IPC increase may be there for 8700K.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Games are currently only using quad-cores (meaning that you're able to use eight hyper-threaded cores) and this isn't likely to change in the coming year, so I'd hold off until we see Intel and AMD's next revisions. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Considering you'll have to buy a new motherboard as well as a presumably $400+ cpu, no, not really. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Potato*Salad said:

Hard to recommend since more than 8 threads don't scale that much in any games, but IPC increase may be there for 8700K.

No IPC increase. The 8700K is just a Skylake refreshed to the 14nm++ node refinement and 2 additional cores. IMC supports higher 'stock' speeds, though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No IPC increase. The 8700K is just a Skylake refreshed to the 14nm++ node refinement and 2 additional cores. IMC supports higher 'stock' speeds, though.

i prefer to choose i3 8350k, you know,the eight generation i3 processors are all using four cores,eight threads,and 8350k have a very higher freequency.it will be deeply hit the six generation and seven generation i7 proceesor.eight generation processor also using Network format architecture,so it is much quikcly than Ring architecture on six and seven generation processor,you can get more information on:ark.intel.com and search eight generation core processors.hope that is helpful to you.

Just now, Spirit`yL said:

i prefer to choose i3 8350k, you know,the eight generation i3 processors are all using four cores,eight threads,and 8350k have a very higher freequency.it will be deeply hit the six generation and seven generation i7 proceesor.eight generation processor also using Network format architecture,so it is much quikcly than Ring architecture on six and seven generation processor,you can get more information on:ark.intel.com and search eight generation core processors.hope that is helpful to you.

i3's are 4 cores 4 thread.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

17 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

presumably $400+ cpu

Pricing has already been released. Its $350 for the I7 8700k

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I definitely would, if you have the money, then why not?

Intel is doing something somewhat right here, they are giving us more for our money, and that's a good thing. If you get the i7-8700k, you won't need to worry about having any issues in productivity, or gaming for the next 6 - 8 years, guaranteed (almost).

It would be a worthwhile investment, and the i7-6700k isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but pulling the trigger now on an i7-8700k may keep you off the hype medication (new products hype train) for a few years, and prevent you from deciding to get something decidedly more expensive.

That's just my thoughts, I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 with no issues right now, and I plan on following AMD's Zen 2, Zen 3 processor line, not because I like AMD or anything, but because I pulled the trigger during the "hype train" on getting 2 more cores from my i7-4790k, and no discernible difference in games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

No.

I have hard time to justify the upgrade even from 4770k...

even i7 4790k....

If you need the additional cores for productivity or multitasking than it would be worth it.  This will also render the 7800X useless on the x299 platform.  If you listen to the rumor mill, the Z390 or whatever naming scheme they will be using, Intel is expected to release an eight core, but that won't be until the second half of 2018 if I am not mistaken.  Unless the 8700k benchmarks bomb in comparison to the 7700k, I will be picking up an 8700k and waiting for a the next batch of X299 cpus.  Additional cores would do wonders for drafting programs and rendering programs but the 8700k would be a nice place holder. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535