Air cooler in a mobile build

Geneslaw

I'm planning to do a build that fits in my hiking backpack. I'll be biking it to LAN parties every now and then. I already ordered a Kolink Satellite, and I intend to put a Core i5 8400 and an mITX board in it. Exact board hasn't been decided yet, since not much is known about Z370 boards yet. Now I'd like to have a bit of decent cooling and airflow in the case, preferably not to loud, so I want a third party cooler. The case should fit a max CPU cooler height of 165mm. Basically, I should be able to put something like a Scythe Mugen in it.

The thing is, I'll have to lay the case on its front or its back to first fit it inside my case. That puts the motherboard perpendicular to the ground. I'm afraid that my bicycling will cause strain on the motherboard from the weight of the CPU cooler and the somewhat bouncy movement that comes with bicycling. So I find myself wondering, what cooler would be safe to put on the motherboard? I do like the idea of a fan being perpendicular to the motherboard, to direct airflow in the case. 

2 hours ago, Geneslaw said:

I'm planning to do a build that fits in my hiking backpack. I'll be biking it to LAN parties every now and then. I already ordered a Kolink Satellite, and I intend to put a Core i5 8400 and an mITX board in it. Exact board hasn't been decided yet, since not much is known about Z370 boards yet. Now I'd like to have a bit of decent cooling and airflow in the case, preferably not to loud, so I want a third party cooler. The case should fit a max CPU cooler height of 165mm. Basically, I should be able to put something like a Scythe Mugen in it.

The thing is, I'll have to lay the case on its front or its back to first fit it inside my case. That puts the motherboard perpendicular to the ground. I'm afraid that my bicycling will cause strain on the motherboard from the weight of the CPU cooler and the somewhat bouncy movement that comes with bicycling. So I find myself wondering, what cooler would be safe to put on the motherboard? I do like the idea of a fan being perpendicular to the motherboard, to direct airflow in the case. 

Basically any CPU cooler will be fine. 165mm should be enough clearance for pretty much anything. if you're worried about movement you can always pack something around it during transit and then remove it when you get to your destination.

The cryorig H7 is a very good cooler and it's a bit smaller than a lot of tower coolers, the smaller size means less wight.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Don't worry about mobo. The way mobos and CPU coolers are built ensures that you'd need to drop whole case from 1m before something actually damages anything. Case and point my own endeavors with tower cooler and ATX case. It has literally fallen to its side and no damage to mobo or cooler.

However, I imagine you are looking at least weight for most performance. H7 is among the best options, but Pure Rock is even better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So basically, don't worry too much, but if I must worry, there's definitely options. I think I'll go with the Pure Rock. It's more affordable as well as better stocked around here. There's also a slim version, but I assume you meant the normal one? Probably doesn't matter too much when it comes to weight and size for my use case. Might as well get the normal one.

On 09/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, Geneslaw said:

So basically, don't worry too much, but if I must worry, there's definitely options. I think I'll go with the Pure Rock. It's more affordable as well as better stocked around here. There's also a slim version, but I assume you meant the normal one? Probably doesn't matter too much when it comes to weight and size for my use case. Might as well get the normal one.

Slim allows higher profile RAM, but lacks bit with performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv