Is overclocking worth it?

I may be sounding like a over-cautious newbie(because I am) but I can't help but think that it will break, if I could get some suggestions of what to do that would be great or ever people with past experiences with overclocking.

I've heard some dreadful stories about overclocking gone wrong and now I can't help but think if it's worth it or not.

Just a bit of background, this is my most recent build...Actually, my first EVER build. So you can see where the caution come from.

My parts as followed:

Ryzen 1200 with stock cooler, 570, 8GB 3000mhz, 450W, Asrock B350,

Maybe it's because I keep thinking the worst scenario, i.e the whole system blows up.

Would love to hear some feedback!

Just don't turn up voltage to a stupid level, keep the temps under ~80c and you'll be okay. 

Damaging your system is not that easy. 

Now is it worth it? It depends on who you ask. For me, OCing just doesn't provide that big of a speed boost that I warranty it necessary. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Definitely worth it, especially on something as easy and straightforward as Ryzen.

just set vcore to 1.35v and multiplier to 38 to start. then step it up to 39, and finally 40.

if temps are okay, feel free to take voltage up to 1.4 if you're feeling a bit ballsy, but if it's your first time, just keep it at 1.35

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

No drawback to minor to moderate overclocking so long as temperatures and power levels are in check it should not affect the longevity of the system as for more hardcore OCing power increases do decrease part lifespan thus going crazy isn't a good idea if you care a lot about long term.

As for destroying a system instantly from going too far just keep the voltage low and the temps low and there is no risk

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

@Fanus1

I can't help with Ryzen overclocking but in my opinion it is always worth it to get extra performance for free.

I was a newbie to overclocking like 5 months ago and i have to say it's not scary at all once you watch some tutorials and do a little research.

CPU overclocking you can mess up if you set the Voltage too high but GPU overclocking is almost impossible to mess up since your system will just crash and that's all.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

12 minutes ago, Fanus1 said:

I may be sounding like a over-cautious newbie(because I am) but I can't help but think that it will break, if I could get some suggestions of what to do that would be great or ever people with past experiences with overclocking.

I've heard some dreadful stories about overclocking gone wrong and now I can't help but think if it's worth it or not.

Just a bit of background, this is my most recent build...Actually, my first EVER build. So you can see where the caution come from.

My parts as followed:

Maybe it's because I keep thinking the worst scenario, i.e the whole system blows up.

You can get free performance with overclocking, that is why its interesting for many people.

Due to silicon lottery, CPU makers just test their cpu to a certain limit, accept that there is variance, and find a set up that is reliable for ANY silicon lottery.

That being said, if per example they release a cpu at 4.0 ghz, they are aware that some of them can achieve 4.2, some can achieve 4.5 etc... but they can't release it to 4.5 officially because some of the silicon lottery will not be able to run it at 4.5, 

So they just pick a setup that will works for all the CPU ( of the same model ) they produce. per example, 4.0 ghz

With overclocking, you try to achieve to best safe clock speed that your CPU silicon lottery can get. That is why its "free" performance and that most people think its worth it.

Now is it safe ? If you know what you are doing, yes. All cpu's have a maximum safe voltage limit, so if you respect that, there is no chance you break your cpu. Also need to respect the temperature limit.

Once you find out the maximum safe voltage and temp, you just playt w ith that to reach the best clock speed stable, without reaching the safe limits.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

5 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

You can get free performance with overclocking, that is why its interesting for many people.

Due to silicon lottery, CPU makers just test their cpu to a certain limit, accept that there is variance, and find a set up that is reliable for ANY silicon lottery.

That being said, if per example they release a cpu at 4.0 ghz, they are aware that some of them can achieve 4.2, some can achieve 4.5 etc... but they can't release it to 4.5 officially because some of the silicon lottery will not be able to run it at 4.5, 

So they just pick a setup that will works for all the CPU they produce. per example, 4.0 ghz

With overclocking, you try to achieve to best safe clock speed that your CPU silicon lottery can get. That is why its "free" performance and that most people think its worth it.

Now is it safe ? If you know what you are doing, yes. All cpu's have a maximum safe voltage limit, so if you respect that, there is no chance you break your cpu. Also need to respect the temperature limit.

Once you find out the maximum safe voltage and temp, you just playt w ith that to reach the best clock speed stable, without reaching the safe limits.

That's really great to hear some more information about the "behind the scenes" of the hardware. Certainly puts things into perspective and less daunting.

Just make sure you have the appropriate cooling system 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

3 minutes ago, Fanus1 said:

That's really great to hear some more information about the "behind the scenes" of the hardware. Certainly puts things into perspective and less daunting.

Yeah this is my "way to see it" but it's mostly how it is..

Now keep it mind that overclocking 100% stable is harder than what it seems, at least if you want to have the less heat possible. Because you can simply put a high voltage that will keep your computer stable, but that result in high temps.

What you want to do is find the lowest but enough voltage to keep the copmuter 100% stable and have the coolest temps !! That takes a lot of patience since you have to test with different voltage and clock speed for a long period of times.

I am not a pro, but it took me at least 1 full week to find the good settings for mine. Again don't get me wrong, I could have just set the voltage a bit higher and call it a day and live with a setup that runs like 3-5c hotter, but to find the perfect setting takes time. You have to stress each settings for hours and then try to lower voltage again and test hours etc.,.. until you find the sweet spot..

I usually stress test with OCCT while I sleep. A good 8 hours should tell a lot about stability. Also after you have to test real world use :P 

Keep in mind also that all CPU are different and will require testing case-by-case even if its the same brand same model.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

26 minutes ago, Fanus1 said:

My parts as followed:

If you don't mess with the voltage then there is ZERO risk with Overclocking.

Yes, overclocking is worth it since you get a free 5-20% extra GPU/ CPU power from it.