Render Box

Andrew_C

At work we use SolidWorks' PhotoView 360 to generate short animations of some of our products. It's not got the best rendering engine in the world but we are happy to work with it. Some of our recent projects have been a little more demanding on the puny 6th gen i3 I have in my laptop. We're looking to build a rendering box.

I'm championing the Ryzen R7 1700 as the best bang for your buck. However, I'd love to see what you guys think? There is a grand in the pot for the essentials.. CPU, mobo, 16/32GB ram, gpu (at least a GTX750). We already have everything else lying about. Case is your standard ATX.

What have you?!

You can save some money by buying 16 gigs of ram and go for a better gpu. unless you're rending huge files or something along those lines.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

The GPU has very little impact on PhotoView 360 rendering (practically none). I really just need the GPU to load the software.

unless you can take advantage of GPU rendering, dont bother with getting anything powerfull. a GT 1030 will see you off just fine unless you need more display outs. unless you are ok with overclocking, i would probably go for a 1800x just to get the most out of it, and a A320 motherboard then, but if you are up for overclocking then a 1700 and a B350 motherboard(stay away from MSI and Gigabyte) is just fine. i would get the 16GB of RAM and try to get around 3000MHz or more seeing as Ryzen scales nicely with RAM speed. Coffee Lake could be an option, bringing basically a I7 7700K with an extra pair of cores to the market, but im not sure that would be any better at rendering tasks tbh. its hard to really plan anything out for you without a budget though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

32 minutes ago, Andrew_C said:

The GPU has very little impact on PhotoView 360 rendering (practically none). I really just need the GPU to load the software.

something like this would be plenty. you can edit & exclude the components you have already & just as above mentioned you can probably be okay with a gtx 1030 as gpu has minor importance on your task.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($148.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($131.75 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.94 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($113.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $933.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-20 17:34 EDT-0400

13 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

unless you can take advantage of GPU rendering, dont bother with getting anything powerfull. a GT 1030 will see you off just fine unless you need more display outs. unless you are ok with overclocking, i would probably go for a 1800x just to get the most out of it, and a A320 motherboard then, but if you are up for overclocking then a 1700 and a B350 motherboard(stay away from MSI and Gigabyte) is just fine. i would get the 16GB of RAM and try to get around 3000MHz or more seeing as Ryzen scales nicely with RAM speed. Coffee Lake could be an option, bringing basically a I7 7700K with an extra pair of cores to the market, but im not sure that would be any better at rendering tasks tbh. its hard to really plan anything out for you without a budget though

The budget is in the OP: £1,000 - like you say, the GPU is insignificant.

1 minute ago, Fardin said:

something like this would be plenty. you can edit & exclude the components you have already & just as above mentioned you can probably be okay with a gtx 1030 as gpu has minor importance on your task.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($148.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($131.75 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.94 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($113.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($42.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $933.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-20 17:34 EDT-0400

Cheers! :) 

7 minutes ago, Andrew_C said:

The budget is in the OP: £1,000 - like you say, the GPU is insignificant.

Cheers! :) 

yah then the 1700 or 1800x are your best options

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

So I concluded the following would make a nice build for our needs. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HZ29kT

However, I'm a little unsure of the memory situation. I don't know if it's wise to go for 3000 memory without it being on the support list. Anyone advise if 2666 is really going to throttle things? What should I do?