100% Disk and 1 Hour Startup Times How to Fix It?

CGFrog

Hello for 2 months now my computer has had 100% Disk Usage almost all the time along with startups that take 20 minutes to an hour before it is able to open up the windows menu. I have googled this issue and I must have spent 12 hours trying to solve this problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C and I have had it for 2 years. I have used it for content creation like 3D rendering and game design (I know that it has integrated graphics and a pretty bad CPU but 12 year old me didn't know what that meant at the time) and school. I have tried disabling things like Superfetch, BITS, and Windows Search. I updated my drivers and I even did a factory reset and nothing worked. I am 14 and school takes up a lot of time so right now I can't afford to buy another computer. If you guys have any solutions please let me know. Thank you very much!

Specs

i5 5200U Cpu

Intel 5500 Integrated Graphis

8 gigs of installed memory

64bit OS of Win10

Toshiba MQ01ABD100 Hardrive

Try reinstalling Windows. It'll be a temporary fix as the symptoms will come up again later down the road.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, CGFrog said:

Hello for 2 months now my computer has had 100% Disk Usage almost all the time along with startups that take 20 minutes to an hour before it is able to open up the windows menu. I have googled this issue and I must have spent 12 hours trying to solve this problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C and I have had it for 2 years. I have used it for content creation like 3D rendering and game design (I know that it has integrated graphics and a pretty bad CPU but 12 year old me didn't know what that meant at the time) and school. I have tried disabling things like Superfetch, BITS, and Windows Search. I updated my drivers and I even did a factory reset and nothing worked. I am 14 and school takes up a lot of time so right now I can't afford to buy another computer. If you guys have any solutions please let me know. Thank you very much!

Specs

i5 5200U Cpu

64bit OS of Win10

First thing you need to know is even whern you factory reset a laptop, it comes with all the useless apps they put in it. These apps slow the computer a lot. A manual Clean format re-install will have you a clean windows.

Secondly, your issue is probably due to dead HDD. 2 years might sound a bit quick, but it happens often on laptops since people always throw them on the bed or move them a lot while its powered ON, and the HDD dies very quickly.

I suggest to buy or try an SSD , clean windows install, and see if its still slow ;) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

9 minutes ago, CGFrog said:

Specs

i5 5200U Cpu

64bit OS of Win10

Your hard drive is probably going bad. RMA it or get a new one. or better yet get an ssd as that will make this problem unlikely to re- occur in the near future. 

2 minutes ago, CK1968 said:

Forget windows and switch to Linux, then you will notice the difference.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

as someone with a small army of semi-broken hardware running linux, please go spread "the good word" somewhere else.

on topic: my first place to look would be your hard drive, specificly the potential amount of bad sectors and/or read/write/seek error counts.