Which power supply

Hey guys, I currently have a 600w and i was wondering if i should swap it with the 500w 80 gold if that will be better for me. Thanks!

It will entirely depends on what is in your system, what connectors you require, what your demands of the PSU are (silence? efficiency?) and what specific PSU you have now.

EDIT: and if you want modular or not of course.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It will entirely depends on what is in your system, what connectors you require, what your demands of the PSU are (silence? efficiency?) and what specific PSU you have now.

EDIT: and if you want modular or not of course.

Its the ocz 600w modxstream

Honestly (and tell me if I'm wrong), but I think MOST builders go overboard with their PSU's when building a system.  For me, I have a system that doesn't even use 400W on load, and yet I got a 750W PSU when I built mine (was my first PC build).  A good idea is to go on PCpartpicker and add in all of your hardware, and then whatever number it gives you, get a PSU that goes maybe 100W above that.  For me, I'm aiming for a ryzen/gtx 1060 build and it says it will only use about ~375W, so this time I will only go with a 500W gold PSU.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

17 minutes ago, Topzombie22 said:

Hey guys, I currently have a 600w and i was wondering if i should swap it with the 500w 80 gold if that will be better for me. Thanks!

it would greatly help us decide if it is worth the switch if we knew what you are actually trying to power with the PSU.

can you list your systems' specifications here?

1 minute ago, nicolas2465 said:

Honestly (and tell me if I'm wrong), but I think MOST builders go overboard with their PSU's when building a system.  For me, I have a system that doesn't even use 400W on load, and yet I got a 750W PSU when I built mine (was my first PC build).  A good idea is to go on PCpartpicker and add in all of your hardware, and then whatever number it gives you, get a PSU that goes maybe 100W above that.  For me, I'm aiming for a ryzen/gtx 1060 build and it says it will only use about ~375W, so this time I will only go with a 500W gold PSU.

Yeah im upgrading my gpu and the amount of drives i have isstaggering so i dunno if i have enough power.

Oh well right now, I have a rx 480 (Referance) i7 4790k, evo 212 cooler, 3 hdd drives 7200 rpm, 1 ssd. But i ordered a gtx 1080 and im not sure if i shouls go for more power or more efficient power.

Hard drives in general consume very little power, usually they average around 6 watts.

About half of that is taken from 5v so when choosing a power supply, it's important to be aware that most power supplies can only provide up to 100 watts on 5v. So for example, if you have 10 drives, those drives may take 30-40 watts from the power supply's 5v output, leaving only around 60 watts for the rest of your computer (chipset, usb ports etc)

OCZ modxstream should be a bronze efficiency power supply. If you replace it with a Gold efficiency power supply, you will most likely save some money in electricity costs and you will probably have a more silent power supply as well, because a Gold efficiency psu will produce less heat, so the fan on it won't have to spin as much.

Modern video cards are also more power efficient, so even though you upgrade your video card, the newer video card may actually consume less power.

If you write down what components you have in your system and what you want to change, we may be able to estimate how much your current system consumes now and how much the new system will need.

3 minutes ago, Topzombie22 said:

Oh well right now, I have a rx 480 (Referance) i7 4790k, evo 212 cooler, 3 hdd drives 7200 rpm, 1 ssd. But i ordered a gtx 1080 and im not sure if i shouls go for more power or more efficient power.

can you make a list on pcpartpicker with the exact hardware you have, such as what parts are MSI, asus, etc.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

8 minutes ago, Topzombie22 said:

An RX 480 uses up to 165 watts, depending on configuration (memory quantity and frequencies).

A GTX 1080 goes up to 185 watts, more if you use power boost and overclocking stuff.

Basically, the cards are fairly close in power consumption at the default settings, so if one power supply ran the previous configuration just fine, it will run this as well.

The CPU 4790k will use maybe up to 100-130 watts (less than 100w at stock frequencies), the hard drives around 6-8w each, the SSD will average around 2-3 watts, each fan uses around 2-3 watts, the motherboard will use around 15-30 watts.

So if you were to use your CPU at 100% AND the video card at 100% (rarely, only in benchmarks) your computer will consume  approximately 130w(cpu)+185w(gtx1080)+30w(mb)+20w(3hdd+ssd)+10(fans) = ~ 375w

24 minutes ago, Topzombie22 said:

Its the ocz 600w modxstream

Replace pls

What unit are you looking at?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Replace pls

What unit are you looking at?

Replaced with a corsair vs-500

18 minutes ago, Topzombie22 said:

Replaced with a corsair vs-500

corsair vs is not better unit. Get corsair txm, Rmx, evga g2/g3 , bitfenix whisper etc . 550w would be plenty.

check this guide for psu tier list.