Looking at Threadripper motherboards. Need input.

I recently "upgraded" my system to the X399 platform and the Threadripper 1950x. The reason that upgraded is in quotations is because I have been having nothing but issues, mainly with hard shutdowns and blue screen errors which were documented elsewhere on the forums here in search of answers. I had originally purchased the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon, as I have had good luck with MSI in the past. However, lately I have been starting to move away from them as it seems their quality and customer service have been slowly taking a downturn. After two motherboards with the exact same issue, I fought with Newegg to get a refund on the motherboard so I may purchase something from a different manufacturer. Wound up costing me over $50 in a restocking fee, but I digress. In any case, I am down to two motherboards, both from Asus. The first one I am looking at is the Asus RoG Zenith Extreme X399 which is priced at $549.99, and the second is the Asus Strix Gaming X399-E priced at $399.99. 

My reservations with these choices start at the fact that I have heard that Asus customer support is some of the worst in the business. My second concern is that the reviews on the Zenith are sitting at three stars (eggs?) on Newegg, with the highest number of users submitting one star reviews, but the second highest number is five stars. The Strix just came out the other day, there aren't any on that board. Almost every professional review I have read on the Zenith rates it as the best X399 board out there, but user reviews are saying it is terrible. My RAM modules are on the QVL list for both of the boards I have listed here, and I just sent them back to Corsair for a warranty replacement just in case they were in fact the issue. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Main System-

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR Limited Edition

Motherboard: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC

RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (OS), 4x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SATA SSD

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 1000

Cooling: Custom Loop, EKWB Quantum Velocity Copper/Plexi w/ D-RGB Upgrade Kit and Black Frame, EKWB Quantum Vector Strix Nickel/Acetal D-RGB w/ EKWB Strix Backplate in Black, Watercool MO-RA3 420 LT (180-200mm Fan Mount, Classic Black Grill High Version, Wall Mounting Bracket, Heatkiller Tube Mounting Bracket, PCIe Slot Terminal Adapter), Heatkiller Tube 200 w/ EKWB D5 PWM Pump, Bitspower Fittings, 6x EKWB Vardar X3M D-RGB 120mm Fans, 4x Noctua NF-A20 Chromax 200mm Fans, EKWB ZMT Tubing, EKWB HD-PETG Tubing

ITX System-

Case: NCase M1 V6.1

Motherboard: Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Impact 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition

RAM: 2x16GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD (OS), 1x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB m.2 SSD (Storage)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 GM (SFX)

Cooling: Custom Loop, Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Black Copper (AM4), Watercool Heatkiller IV RTX 2080Ti Acetal Nickel w/ Black Backplate, 2x XSPC TX240 Radiators, Iceman Cooling Ice P5 Pump/Reservoir Combo, Bitspower Fittings, EKWB ZMT Tubing

I had no issues with asus support.

Quick and easy RMA.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the asrock boards are great these dayz. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

heard the Asrock Taichi board is great

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I am hearing bad things about the MSI one.

I would pick Zenith, Prime or Strix because i have the best experience with Asus so far

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

i would pick donkeystone asrock

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I would go for the Zenith Extreme simply because with the Ryzen Threadripper, that board will let you have access to all 60 PCIe lanes. Plus it's a baller board which I plan on picking up around holiday once I sell off my CPU, motherboard, and case, and help out my brother with his upgrade because mine is going to need some specialized cooling (I mean a cooler with proper TR4 support and I'm not going to blow USD $80 on a cooler that I'm only going to use for a week or two when I make the jump to custom watercooling)

The PRIME and the ROG Strix options are not terrible either, and I would recommend those if you're looking for a more value-oriented option, and if you're going for the 1900X since the Zenith Extreme does not support that CPU.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

29 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I would go for the Zenith Extreme simply because with the Ryzen Threadripper, that board will let you have access to all 60 PCIe lanes. Plus it's a baller board which I plan on picking up around holiday once I sell off my CPU, motherboard, and case, and help out my brother with his upgrade because mine is going to need some specialized cooling (I mean a cooler with proper TR4 support and I'm not going to blow USD $80 on a cooler that I'm only going to use for a week or two when I make the jump to custom watercooling)

The PRIME and the ROG Strix options are not terrible either, and I would recommend those if you're looking for a more value-oriented option, and if you're going for the 1900X since the Zenith Extreme does not support that CPU.

Nope, no 1900X. I've already got my 1950X, just trying to eliminate as many avenues of problems I may encounter. The MSI board on paper was a great value for the money, but terrible in its execution. I'm swearing off of MSI for good at this point.

Main System-

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR Limited Edition

Motherboard: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC

RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (OS), 4x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SATA SSD

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 1000

Cooling: Custom Loop, EKWB Quantum Velocity Copper/Plexi w/ D-RGB Upgrade Kit and Black Frame, EKWB Quantum Vector Strix Nickel/Acetal D-RGB w/ EKWB Strix Backplate in Black, Watercool MO-RA3 420 LT (180-200mm Fan Mount, Classic Black Grill High Version, Wall Mounting Bracket, Heatkiller Tube Mounting Bracket, PCIe Slot Terminal Adapter), Heatkiller Tube 200 w/ EKWB D5 PWM Pump, Bitspower Fittings, 6x EKWB Vardar X3M D-RGB 120mm Fans, 4x Noctua NF-A20 Chromax 200mm Fans, EKWB ZMT Tubing, EKWB HD-PETG Tubing

ITX System-

Case: NCase M1 V6.1

Motherboard: Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Impact 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition

RAM: 2x16GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD (OS), 1x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB m.2 SSD (Storage)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 GM (SFX)

Cooling: Custom Loop, Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Black Copper (AM4), Watercool Heatkiller IV RTX 2080Ti Acetal Nickel w/ Black Backplate, 2x XSPC TX240 Radiators, Iceman Cooling Ice P5 Pump/Reservoir Combo, Bitspower Fittings, EKWB ZMT Tubing