Is it safe to test a new build without using a fan on the CPU?

I've seen everyone test the parts by just hooking up everything to the motherboard before it's put into and case and everyone installs the cooler for the CPU. Now would it be safe to test to see if everything working without installing a cooler on the CPU?

if by safe you mean catastrophically retarded then yes.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

seriously? the thing will shutoff due to heat.........

just use the stock cooler? it CLIPS on

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Are you sure you should be building a pc? 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I've seen everyone test the parts by just hooking up everything to the motherboard before it's put into and case and everyone installs the cooler for the CPU. Now would it be safe to test to see if everything working without installing a cooler on the CPU?

no, it is not safe to power the CPU up without any cooling.

A cpu without any cooling can hit 120 degrees celcious within 5 seconds of being powered up. So no I wouldnt recomend it. You could get away with just the heatsink for abt 5 mins but I really wouldnt recomend it

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Are you sure you should be building a pc?

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

No, please don't do it. With some cpus its possible to go with passive cooling which means using big dual tower heatsink without fans. But if you need to ask such thing, don't start with that kind of setup. Besides you can install mobo inside case with cooler attached. Even if its AIO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can try without a fan if you're really curious. Without a heatsink is just suicide.

Some mother board won't boot w/o the CPU fan plugged in. It's not a good idea since it's a new build and could void warranty on the components. Just out of curiosity, what kind of test are you doing that requires no CPU cooling?

No, no it isn't safe.  You test a system by putting everything together in a careful, static-free environment and then turn it on after you double check everything.  If it doesn't post you can investigate what is causing it at that point, if you have bought quality components more often than not it will just work.  I've had bad RAM, PSUs that had a conflict with a MB and required a new MB bios, etc, but I've only ever had one system that didn't turn on at all (an Asus MB with an AMD thunderbird 1ghz).  I was so poor I didn't even RMA them because I couldn't afford the return shipping (at that time it wasn't free to RMA).  I never did build a computer with that chip, threw away a couple hundred bucks :(

Just like above please don't do that.... unless you want to turn your cpu into something like this:

22450d1248330439-cpu-heatsink-melted-wha

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

Just out of curiosity why did you want to do this any ways?

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

If you really have to save steps, fully assemble the system (including cpu cooler) inside the case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

jesus you kids making fun of this guy need to get a life. we're all new at some point and we all start somewhere. sheesh

anyway, your motherboard will shut everything down on a CPU overheat, and it will happen within seconds. So...yes you could "test" them, but it would turn off after a few seconds making the process pretty useless anyway. to put it in perspective, a 240rad water cooled CPU without spinning fans will still heat up to ~95C+ after booting into windows