The best laptop is the best laptop.

The best laptop is the best laptop.  Great desktop features don't translate into a great laptop.  I've learned over the years that it's good for electronics devices to be versatile, but they need to have one thing that they're excellent at.  For a laptop, being a portable machine is #1.  It doesn't have to be amazing for gaming, or photoshop and so on.  But you do want it to be something that you're going to take with you to cafe's, social events, school, work, your kitchen, your living room, your bedroom, etc.

Having a great screen, speakers, keyboard and trackpad will make a laptop a better portable machine.

Having a graphics card, hard drive, a loud fan and 16gb RAM will not.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

2 minutes ago, minervx said:

The best laptop is the best laptop.  Great desktop features don't translate into a great laptop.  I've learned over the years that it's good for electronics devices to be versatile, but they need to have one thing that they're excellent at.  For a laptop, being a portable machine is #1.  It doesn't have to be amazing for gaming, or photoshop and so on.  But you do want it to be something that you're going to take with you to cafe's, social events, school, work, your kitchen, your living room, your bedroom, etc.

Having a great screen, speakers, keyboard and trackpad will make a laptop a better portable machine.

This post makes no sense at all

AT ALL

So, when I need the GPU Power on the go, mass storage + high speed storage for my OS and multi-tasking performance I just shouldn't get a laptop and get a massive UPS and lug my desktop around? Yeah, no. 

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

this why i have both , a tower and a laptop

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

3 minutes ago, minervx said:

Dafuq u talking about boy? I didn't understand shit. You're a fan of apple? Cause' what you wrote there is referring to apple laptops. That have integrated GPUs, SSDs, are quiet as hell etc.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

3 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Dafuq u talking about boy? I didn't understand shit. You're a fan of apple? Cause' what you wrote there is referring to apple laptops. That have integrated GPUs, SSDs, are quiet as hell etc.

I have a very complicated relationship with Apple, but as far as a laptop is concerned, Apple is right about UI being more important than raw power (at least until they went too far with the 2016 MBP).  I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro 2012 now.  I don't like the 800p screen and slightly below average battery life but it's compact, I can compose music on it, the keyboard is perfect and the trackpad is better than any external USB mouse I could think of adding.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

6 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

this why i have both , a tower and a laptop

I think strong PC and light laptop is the best combo, so this way, I have max power at home and max portability on the go.

Just now, minervx said:

I have a very complicated relationship with Apple, but as far as a laptop is concerned, Apple is right.  I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro 2012 now.  I don't like the 800p screen and slightly below average battery life but it's compact, I can compose music on it, the keyboard is perfect and the trackpad is better than any external USB mouse I could think of adding.

So, what if I could tell you that you could have a high power GPU, CPU, up to 64GB of RAM In a laptop, a better trackpad and keyboard than any other laptop on the market, while remaining portable and still having good battery life? 

3 minutes ago, minervx said:

I have a very complicated relationship with Apple, but as far as a laptop is concerned, Apple is right.  I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro 2012 now.  I don't like the 800p screen and slightly below average battery life but it's compact, I can compose music on it, the keyboard is perfect and the trackpad is better than any external USB mouse I could think of adding.

For you this type of laptop suits you. Many other people use or are looking to buy a laptop with a dedicated GPU and HDD because more power is always better than nothing. And for real.. why giving apple $1000 up to $2000 for a 800p screen, a 256gb SSD and integrated GPU when a good laptop with dedicated GPU, SSD and HDD and maybe 1440p screen costs about the same price? And it has better performance.

1 minute ago, minervx said:

I think strong PC and light laptop is the best combo, so this way, I have max power at home and max portability on the go.

Amen to that.

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

So, what if I could tell you that you could have a high power GPU, CPU, up to 64GB of RAM In a laptop, a better trackpad and keyboard than any other laptop on the market, while remaining portable and still having good battery life? 

And less expensive than an Apple laptop.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Just now, TheGamingBarrel said:

Laptop processors are not even strong enough to fully utilize anywhere near that much RAM.  It depends on how we define portable and good battery life.  And price is also a factor for 90+% of people too.

4 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

For you this type of laptop suits you. Many other people use or are looking to buy a laptop with a dedicated GPU and HDD because more power is always better than nothing. And for real.. why giving apple $1000 up to $2000 for a 800p screen, a 256gb SSD and integrated GPU when a good laptop with dedicated GPU, SSD and HDD and maybe 1440p screen costs about the same price? And it has better performance.

Laptop gaming is a matter of personal preference.  The way I see it is it's more sacrifice for less power.  It also depends on lifestyle.  If my job required me to travel a lot, I could see having a gaming laptop to keep me occupied at a hotel.

I do have an HDD on this laptop, although the next laptop I buy will have a 1440p screen and only a SSD for storage.

I only paid $500 + $100 on upgrades for this laptop.  It's been treating me well.  I'd never pay retail price for Apple.

Just now, minervx said:

Laptop processors are not even strong enough to fully utilize anywhere near that much RAM.  It depends on how we define portable and good battery life.  And price is also a factor for 90+% of people too.

Yes, these laptops are usually cheaper than the rest because you can buy them CHEAP second hand. 

image_id_1789121.jpeg

image_id_1532432.png

So, the first one is a 7700HQ, a modern CPU that is used in a fair few laptops, while lower powered than it's desktop counterpart, it is still a 4 Core 8 Thread monster of a laptop CPU, the second one is a 3940XM, which you can place into a Thinkpad T430 with a GPU, use the extended 9 Cell battery which gives you the portability options and longer battery life and still costs less than $500.

8 minutes ago, minervx said:

Laptop processors are not even strong enough to fully utilize anywhere near that much RAM

Have you ever heard that desktop CPUs in laptops?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, minervx said:

i have x220 thinkpad running windows 10 enterprise , i have a thinkphome for my x220 and ive setup an ethernet sharing within windows , its great if you move alot so yes its the best combo :))

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

they sell barebones laptops with desktop cpu installation

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System