Stuck between TN 144hz and IPS 60hz 1440p

huskies29

Hello folks,

yes, it has been debated widely, I already know the major pro and cons of both panels, but having no experience with IPS nor higher frequency than 60hz I can't really figure which trade off I'd be able to live with without regrets (and yes there are "IPS" at 144hz but I don't intend to spend that kind of money).

Considering I come from an old samsung p2370, which is a 1080p 60hz TN, I guess both options will end up being a huge upgrade regardless, but yeah, need some help.

My activities range between reading, watching youtube/twitch and movies/series, learning web develpment (I'll be using bot the old and the new monitor for this, nice to have more work space) and later programming, plus gaming. And with gaming comes the problem, refresh rate for games with a lot of action and movements, quality for all the rest... I don't play many action oriented games lately, and am starting to prefer a lot of indies and close to none AAA titles, but there are the few exceptions from time to time and a couple will come in the future, but right now it's mostly league of legends, minecraft and a variety of indie games or at least pixel art ones and in the future I will have less time to dedicate to games.

At this point the choice should be kinda obvious, since I'm not interested in FPS games -> IPS, but the thing is... I'm a sucker for smooth gameplay, I hate stuttering or tearing (this goes into freesync/gsync territory but no matter) and seeing motion blur and ghosting, with my actual monitor I see those even when scrolling chrome, so now 144hz is the better choice.

Both cases coexist, reading mixed opinions doesn't help, I know that in the end it comes down to induvidual preferences, but as I said I've never used a 144hz monitor nor an IPS one and also can't go see them physically since I live in a rural area, so I can't know for sure which trade off would be better for me, I assume IPS > TN since I'd love the colors coming from an old TN and I'm not gaming all that much and even when I am I rarely play shooters, but then again I read that newer good quality TN panels can kinda keep up with some IPS except for viewing angles, so I could take advantage of the 144hz without losing much in terms of image quality...?

So, in the end, considering that:

• I come from an old p2370
  • I don't have any experience with IPS panels nor with 144hz ones
  • I play mostly league, minecraft, indies and the more rare than occasional AAA titles that don't last long
  • Other activities are watching videos, writing code, reading
  • Hate tearing and ghosting and like smooth gameplay, but am also a sucker for nice image quality
  • I've got a gtx1070 plus a 4670k and I don't plan to upgrade them shortly
  • I'd like to go for a 1440p monitor that has to have a thin bezel
  • I'd like to stay under 350 euro, could kinda stretch that to 400 if it's worth

which one would feel the best upgrade between IPS at 60hz and TN at 144hz? Also, considering I want to "feel" a noticeable quality upgrade while not intending to upgrade cpu/gpu, should I also consider staying at 1080p?

After researching a lot I tracked down the likely candidate for the IPS 60hz option and was so close to purchase it: Dell U2515H. 

No idea for a TN 144hz at that resolution and budget, might find more options at 1080p.

PS: I also considered a 4k one at 60hz scaling it down to 1080p for gaming, how much would 1080p suck on a 4k display?

4k 60hz IPS.

1080p / 1440p really sucks on 4k, I tested using doom (2016)

i have a 1070, most games can be played at 4k medium/high/very high.

personally, having never experienced a GOOD IPS display, 4k TN (the monitor im using right now, asus MG28UQ) looks to be quite good, slightly worse than my Asus UX330CA (a 1080p IPS display), but not complete shit (staring at the middle, i don't move around much, eye level is near the tabs bar with chrome fullscreened, no noticeable colour bending)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I use the Acer g257hu, which is 1440p ips 25 inch 60hz.  Most people are able to overclock the monitor to 75-80hz easily.  I run mine at 80hz no problem. It also has virtually no bezel.

I went from TN to IPS and will never go back. Im using a 1440p 144Hz with a 1070 and i get great FPS. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Stuttering and tearing is more of an issue when your PC hardware can't push as many frames as your monitor's refresh rate.

60hz will still be perfectly smooth if you get more than 60fps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Stuttering and tearing is more of an issue when your PC hardware can't push as many frames as your motherboard's refresh rate.

Motherboard's refresh rate? ^^

If you end up considering a 1080p 144hz instead, I would recommend the lg 24gm79g as it has some of the best colors for a tn panel at its price.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Motherboard's refresh rate? ^^

monitor's****

xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

36 minutes ago, Takieght said:

How would you feel about 1440p, G-SYNC and 144hz but no IPS?

Not bad I guess, if giving up IPS ends up being the choice...but I see them go way out of my budget.

34 minutes ago, themctipers said:

4k 60hz IPS.

1080p / 1440p really sucks on 4k, I tested using doom (2016)

i have a 1070, most games can be played at 4k medium/high/very high.

personally, having never experienced a GOOD IPS display, 4k TN (the monitor im using right now, asus MG28UQ) looks to be quite good, slightly worse than my Asus UX330CA (a 1080p IPS display), but not complete shit (staring at the middle, i don't move around much, eye level is near the tabs bar with chrome fullscreened, no noticeable colour bending)

I went for a gtx xx70 after years of xx50/60 to not having to compromise quality every time to get 60fps, playing at native 4k defeats that purpose and if downscaling to 1080p sucks I might be better off avoiding 4k...thanks for the much helpful input tho.

32 minutes ago, AAABattery said:

I use the Acer g257hu, which is 1440p ips 25 inch 60hz.  Most people are able to overclock the monitor to 75-80hz easily.  I run mine at 80hz no problem. It also has virtually no bezel.

Good call on this one, I didn't think about overclocking, also sick bezel. But is 75/80hz noticeable over 60?

30 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

I went from TN to IPS and will never go back. Im using a 1440p 144Hz with a 1070 and i get great FPS. 

My research started in fact with IPS 144hz at 1440p, but man, prices...

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Stuttering and tearing is more of an issue when your PC hardware can't push as many frames as your monitor's refresh rate.

It happens even with fps exceeding 60, I can get rid of tearing with V sync but sometimes stutter remains, mostly in minecraft but I know that's game's fault...could also be old p2370 fault? Not sure, I know nothing about monitors.

28 minutes ago, AAABattery said:

If you end up considering a 1080p 144hz instead, I would recommend the lg 24gm79g as it has some of the best colors for a tn panel at its price.

Dunno if going from a TN 1080p 60hz to still a TN 1080p but 144hz is a noticeable enough upgrade, but again I have no experience with 144hz nor IPS.

As I thought the ideal monitor would be a 1440p "IPS" at 144hz, but that's out of budget :(

Just now, huskies29 said:

Not bad I guess, if giving up IPS ends up being the choice...but I see them go way out of my budget.

I went for a gtx xx70 after years of xx50/60 to not having to compromise quality every time to get 60fps, playing at native 4k defeats that purpose and if downscaling to 1080p sucks I might be better off avoiding 4k...thanks for the much helpful input tho.

Good call on this one, I didn't think about overclocking, also sick bezel. But is 75/80hz noticeable over 60?

It happens even with fps exceeding 60, I can get rid of tearing with V sync but sometimes stutter remains, mostly in minecraft but I know that's game's fault...could also be old p2370 fault? Not sure, I know nothing about monitors.

Dunno if going from a TN 1080p 60hz to still a TN 1080p but 144hz is a noticeable enough upgrade, but again I have no experience with 144hz nor IPS.

As I thought the ideal monitor would be a 1440p "IPS" at 144hz, but that's out of budget :x

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/CwgPxr/dell-s2417dg-238-165hz-monitor-s2417dg This is my holy grail of a monitor.

1 minute ago, huskies29 said:

As I thought the ideal monitor would be a 1440p "IPS" at 144hz, but that's out of budget :(

You can get 4k to work but not at highest or even very high. You do have to comprimize at maybe high/very high, or even medium/high. Still not game breaking. 4k at desktop is nicer than 1080p at desktop. 

Also don't forget, resolution scaling is a thing.. @AluminiumTech reminded me about it when I was playing DOOM, because I was stuck at 55fps 4k.. 95% resolution scaling and I have all the settings maxed, and at 4k and over 60fps. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Takieght said:

Yep saw that one while researching, too bad it's over 100 euro over my already stretched budget...I don't know how I feel about spending 500 on a monitor, but I guess I can't get the best for me for cheaper.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

You can get 4k to work but not at highest or even very high. You do have to comprimize at maybe high/very high, or even medium/high. Still not game breaking. 4k at desktop is nicer than 1080p at desktop. 

Also don't forget, resolution scaling is a thing.. @AluminiumTech reminded me about it when I was playing DOOM, because I was stuck at 55fps 4k.. 95% resolution scaling and I have all the settings maxed, and at 4k and over 60fps. 

But didn't you point out that scaling down to 1080p on a 4k sucks?

Yep saw that one while researching, too bad it's over 100 euro over my already stretched budget...I don't know how I feel about spending 500 on a monitor, but I guess I can't get the best for me for cheaper.

? Is it only available for that much? It's 553 cad which is 380 eur. 

there is an option in DOOM, and i assume most other games, where you can play at 4k but have the resolution scaling as a precentage

so, output at 4k, but render at 95% 4k and upscale

it looks much nicer than 1440p on 4k to me, and windows doesn't freak out since im playing at fullscreen. also no more jaggies even with all the AA! 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

13 minutes ago, huskies29 said:

I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 80hz, but obviously it isn't nearly as big of a difference from 60 to 144hz.  You shouldn't really pick it based on the possible oc though, as it varies from monitor to monitor, but it can be a nice bonus.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

there is an option in DOOM, and i assume most other games, where you can play at 4k but have the resolution scaling as a precentage

so, output at 4k, but render at 95% 4k and upscale

it looks much nicer than 1440p on 4k to me, and windows doesn't freak out since im playing at fullscreen. also no more jaggies even with all the AA! 

see: resolution scaling:

Untitled.thumb.png.57c9804746ce56c1441fd1fb9790810f.png

4k but not really 4k, but looks like 4k. :) 

you should be using vulkan, it used opengl for some reason. hm.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

37 minutes ago, Takieght said:

? Is it only available for that much? It's 553 cad which is 380 eur. 

I wish it worked that way lol, it's 517.99 euro from amazon here or ~450 from some shops (but I don't know how their customer service is), most of the times it's 1:1 dollars euro ffs :(

Unless I buy it oversea but...well, shipping costs plus if I get it faulty and/or with dead pixels getting it replaced could end up a nightmare...

29 minutes ago, AAABattery said:

I can definitely tell the difference between 60 and 80hz, but obviously it isn't nearly as big of a difference from 60 to 144hz.  You shouldn't really pick it based on the possible oc though, as it varies from monitor to monitor, but it can be a nice bonus.

Yes a very nice one if I end up deciding for a 60hz, might be able to squeeze something out of it.

29 minutes ago, themctipers said:

see: resolution scaling:

Untitled.thumb.png.57c9804746ce56c1441fd1fb9790810f.png

4k but not really 4k, but looks like 4k. :) 

you should be using vulkan, it used opengl for some reason. hm.

Oh that's nice, didn't know about % scaling.

And now I'm even more stuck, TN 144hz (or that nice g sync one if only it was cheaper...), IPS 60hz or 4k 60hz which I discarded initially 9_9

2 minutes ago, huskies29 said:

I wish it worked that way lol, it's 517.99 euro from amazon here or ~450 from some shops (but I don't know how their customer service is), most of the times it's 1:1 dollars euro ffs :(

Unless I buy it oversea but...well, shipping costs plus if I get it faulty and/or with dead pixels getting it replaced could end up a nightmare...

Yes a very nice one if I end up deciding for a 60hz, might be able to squeeze something out of it.

Oh that's nice, didn't know about % scaling.

And now I'm even more stuck, TN 144hz, IPS 60hz (or that nice 144hz one if only it was cheaper...) or 4k 60hz which I discarded initially 9_9

4k IPS 60hz or TN 144hz. disregard 1440p as you can get 4k.

why sacrifice on resolution for no gain?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

IPS 4k and 380 euro

for me, it comes down to:

do i want AAA gaming to feel nicer, and mouse movements to feel nicer, or do I want more screen realestate and higher PPI while having nicer picture quality aswell? 

Edited by themctipers

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

38 minutes ago, themctipers said:

4k IPS 60hz or TN 144hz. disregard 1440p as you can get 4k.

why sacrifice on resolution for no gain?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

IPS 4k and 380 euro

for me, it comes down to:

do i want AAA gaming to feel nicer, and mouse movements to feel nicer, or do I want more screen realestate and higher PPI while having nicer picture quality aswell? 

Can I haz both for cheap please.

Yeah I guess I could live without smoother games/mouse/scrolling...until I manage to try one? xD

Still can't decide, the only way might be throwing more budget at it

1 hour ago, FellTheSky said:

A broke nerd can dream xD

By the way a thing comes to mind: even if I get a 1440p at 144hz, my 1070 won't be able to reach those fps with more demanding games, in that case it'd make less sense...but I still would benefit from it with less demanding games which I tend to play way more often and with generic use.

The struggle of choosing one never ends.

6 hours ago, huskies29 said:

Hello folks,

• I play mostly league, minecraft, indies and the more rare than occasional AAA titles that don't last long
  • Other activities are watching videos, writing code, reading
  • Hate tearing and ghosting and like smooth gameplay, but am also a sucker for nice image quality

Well not sure how serious you're into League. But if you're then get a 144hz. Otherwise i dont see the benefits for high refresh or IPS monitors with those preferd games. Sure its more comfortable, but you're already not familiar with that. So you wount miss anything you never experienced before. Would be a waste of money for Minecraft, indies or the occasional AAA title. You could cap you frames to avoid screen tearing. Any 1080p monitor would do just fine.

12 minutes ago, sun2 said:

Well not sure how serious you're into League. But if you're then get a 144hz. Otherwise i dont see the benefits for high refresh or IPS monitors with those preferd games. Sure its more comfortable, but you're already not familiar with that. So you wount miss anything you never experienced before. Would be a waste of money for Minecraft, indies or the occasional AAA title. You could cap you frames to avoid screen tearing. Any 1080p monitor would do just fine.

Definitely not serious, mostly playing it with friends. 

But since I'm coming from a 1080p 60hz TN, although old, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade if both higher refresh rate and IPS bring no benefits, might as well keep the one I have. 

On the other hand higher resolution is what really made me take a look at a new monitor, so at least 1440p.

2 minutes ago, huskies29 said:

Definitely not serious, mostly playing it with friends. 

But since I'm coming from a 1080p 60hz TN, although old, it wouldn't be much of an upgrade if both higher refresh rate and IPS bring no benefits, might as well keep the one I have. 

On the other hand higher resolution is what really made me take a look at a new monitor, so at least 1440p.

Yeah exactly keep it and save some money. I went from a 1080p to 1440, and in begin you notice some difference. But already after a day or 2 you used to it and barely notice any significant difference over 1080 resolutions. Personnaly i would wait and invest in a new monitor graphics card in the near future. Perhaps when there is a average fps of 60fps or 100fps on 4k and affordable prices.