Nothing aside from major windows programs will start

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
11 minutes ago, Roboslav said:

Maybe a stupid question, but how would I go about dumping the OS when I have access to nothing?

Boot an alternate media, wipe the affected drive, reinstall.

Alright so, this may be a bit lengthy...

Upon logging into my computer after a hard reset, I find that the majority of the programs will not start,  and if they do they display a white background such as chrome. Upon investigation of the task manager,  it shows that my CPU usage is at 100%(along side with every program showing 0%usage of everything aside from memory) , Memory fluctuation between 10-20% and 0% usage everywhere else. If I go to the resource monitor,  it shows everything working correctly aside from CPU being at maximum frequency, and a few programs being suspended, such as --

• ShellExperienceHost.exe
  • SearchUI.exe
  • ReminderServer.exe
  • SkypeHost.exe

Restrictions show, that I'm unable to use the start menu to turn my computer off in any way,  or open the majority of the support platforms available to me. I am also unable to give administration access to everything as the dialog will refuse to pop up when needed, the computer also refuses to begin a factory reset, even while using a recovery disk, saying that the drive is locked

Specs Include -

• GTX 1070 8GB
  • MSI B85 - G41 MOTHERBOARD
  • I5- 4460 4-CORE CLOCKED @3.2GHz
  • 1 - 1TB HDD (sysfiles, and important items and music
  • 1 - 2TB HDD (holding exclusively games and other EXE's)
  • 8x2 (16GB) of DDR3-1600
  • 500b Watt EVGA powesupply
  • 1 Optical drive (bluray)

Ps. Temps are fine, and I'm going through reseating components

Pps. Its either hard restart or non at all right now, as the power button only works if you hold it down

If the CPU is pegged at 100% check which process is responsible and kill it. If you have a lot of processes you can sort them by CPU usage. It should tell you what's responsible.

My best guess is some random windows task is stuck in some sort of loop and it's eating the CPU.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If the CPU is pegged at 100% check which process is responsible and kill it. If you have a lot of processes you can sort them by CPU usage. It should tell you what's responsible.

My best guess is some random windows task is stuck in some sort of loop and it's eating the CPU.

The issue is, no process is using 100% of the CPU, TM just says it,  and the resource monitor likes to say that usage is at normal values aside from my CPU being at maximum frequency

4 minutes ago, Roboslav said:

The issue is, no process is using 100% of the CPU, TM just says it,  and the resource monitor likes to say that usage is at normal values aside from my CPU being at maximum frequency

Max CPU frequency can be a BIOS setting. There's the option to disable turbo boost so it runs full voltage & clock 100% of the time.

If the systems bugged out that much and it's telling you things are locked I'd dump the OS and fresh install windows because it might be a virus.

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Max CPU frequency can be a BIOS setting. There's the option to disable turbo boost so it runs full voltage & clock 100% of the time.

If the systems bugged out that much and it's telling you things are locked I'd dump the OS and fresh install windows because it might be a virus.

Maybe a stupid question, but how would I go about dumping the OS when I have access to nothing? -System restore doesnt work regardless if I boot from disk or from hdd

11 minutes ago, Roboslav said:

Maybe a stupid question, but how would I go about dumping the OS when I have access to nothing?

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Attempting, will respond when done

56 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Attempting, will respond when done - UPDATE!! Went ahead and installed 8.1 as that is all I had after formatting, and while installing, it said that the format for the drive was incorrect, lucky enough I had a third unused drive

10 hours ago, Roboslav said:

Attempting, will respond when done - UPDATE!! Went ahead and installed 8.1 as that is all I had after formatting, and while installing, it said that the format for the drive was incorrect, lucky enough I had a third unused drive

Sometimes you have to format the drive "manually" through CMD or have to convert the partition scheme to GPT. This could be why it said something was incorrect.

I find that circumstantially if a boot drive is messed up in such a way that it's loaded with viruses or there's a software conflict causing strange very persistent behavior or something has gone corrupt and is causing the system to BSOD. Sometimes if it's easy for the user to do the fastest solution is just to dump the OS, full format, start fresh.

Although working through the issue can be educational if you want to learn more about troubleshooting.