This Copy of Windows is not Genuine

Siskofan

So some time ago I had the enthusiasts at my local university replace the failing hard drive on my laptop.

They backed up my data for me, and even installed Windows 7 Ultimate for me, which was an upgrade from the Windows 7 home that came with it.

Now recently I've got this message in the lower right corner of my screen that says:

"Windows 7

Build 7601

This Copy of Windows is not genuine"

This is the only place I've seen it. It doesn't show up in a box at startup nor does it remove my desktop background as I've seen similar posts elsewhere online state it may do.

I've so far tried inputting a command into command prompt that goes "SLMGR -REARM" without the quotes while running cmd.exe as administrator, and I uninstalled a certain Windows Update, namely KB791033, both of which were said to fix it, but neither did. I could use some help trying to fix this and any advice would be apprecated, thanks.

Enter your product key

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Get a product key, or just forget about it honestly. It's windows 7 afterall.  Or use a special program to activate it if you get what I mean "wink wink"

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Sounds like the guy used the windows key he used on your PC on another PC, now yours is no longer genuine.

Time to buy a new copy of windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Buy a new copy with key and re-install the OS or purchase a new key and enter it.

You either have a bad copy, illegitimate copy, or a legit copy that was not activated and have reached its trial period end.

If you chose to continue to use the OS in its current state you are using an illegitimate version of Windows 7.

and this may also be possible.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Sounds like the guy used the windows key he used on your PC on another PC, now yours is no longer genuine.

Time to buy a new copy of windows.

If you chose to continue using the OS as is don't share that here ....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'd rather have a legit copy of Windows to be honest, and while it doesn't seem to be making any efforts to lock me out, I think I'm going to work on doing that. I don't mind having to reinstall if I have to, either as I'd rather run Windows 10 on it. That's what I have on my self-built desktop and I'd like to standardize with it. According to Windows 10 minimum specs, my laptop should be able to run it. I'm just not sure if I need to wipe my system and start fresh or if I could just upgrade it using a USB stick with a copy of Windows 10 I'll get from Microsoft.com.

3 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

I'd rather have a legit copy of Windows to be honest, and while it doesn't seem to be making any efforts to lock me out, I think I'm going to work on doing that. I don't mind having to reinstall if I have to, either as I'd rather run Windows 10 on it. That's what I have on my self-built desktop and I'd like to standardize with it. According to Windows 10 minimum specs, my laptop should be able to run it. I'm just not sure if I need to wipe my system and start fresh or if I could just upgrade it using a USB stick with a copy of Windows 10 I'll get from Microsoft.com.

This may help you get started.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have question regarding the upgrade or clean install there are members here that will assist you with the process.

My suggestion is to do a clean install. Reduced chances for issues down the road.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

This may help you get started.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you have question regarding the upgrade or clean install there are members here that will assist you with the process.

My suggestion is to do a clean install. Reduced chances for issues down the road.

Thanks mate. I keep formatting the flashdrive I used for my desktop to make it a backup drive for my files when in reality I should just permanently keep it as a Windows install boot device. I'll get the device created then install the new OS. Because I'm a paranoid nut who should really invest in a NAS I have the files on my laptop, desktop, and backup HDD all mirrored so I don't think a backup of the laptop will be necessary, as my desktop has the most up to date files on it anyway.

Thanks again. I'll certainly create a post or a new thread if I run into any issues.

2 minutes ago, Siskofan said:

Thanks mate. I keep formatting the flashdrive I used for my desktop to make it a backup drive for my files when in reality I should just permanently keep it as a Windows install boot device. I'll get the device created then install the new OS. Because I'm a paranoid nut who should really invest in a NAS I have the files on my laptop, desktop, and backup HDD all mirrored so I don't think a backup of the laptop will be necessary, as my desktop has the most up to date files on it anyway.

Thanks again. I'll certainly create a post or a new thread if I run into any issues.

You should consider stop formatting that flash drive so much, it will reduce its life span.

No need to created a new thread just continue the conversation here.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

You should consider stop formatting that flash drive so much, it will reduce its life span.

No need to created a new thread just continue the conversation here.

Yeah I know, that's the other reason I should stop formatting it. Still it wasn't that expensive so I'm not incredibly worried.

Anyway, the boot drive has been created and I'm running setup on the laptop now now.

So when installing Windows 10, I don't use the same product key that was used for the copy currently running on my desktop, correct? I don't want to inadvertently deactivate Windows on my gaming/main PC by using the same product key for the laptop. (The gaming pc was the one I used to create the installation media).