Need help overclocking a FX-9590

Morbidos
Go to solution Solved by luegnicl,
On 11.9.2017 at 4:23 PM, Morbidos said:

So apparently the i5 my friend has spare us an i5-760 is that usable? 

no. in this case the fx 8350 is way better

Let me start of by apologizing if this is in the wrong section, looked for a OC section but didn't find it..

Ok so backstory, I was going to upgrade to Threadripper (AMD fanboy), but Norwegian prices and recent changes in my economy has led me to be stuck with the old FX.

So I want to push the most out of it, I have some knowlege about OC and IMO i should be able to do this but I for some reason just can't get this thing stable above stock, beginning to believe i have lost in the silicone lottery

Setup:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair v formula-z

CPU: as said FX-9590

RAM: 16 gb corsair venegance 1600mhz 9-9-9-24

cooling: custom loop watercooling

So what have i tried:

I tried to google, just so thats out there

I have tried the usual, leave the FSB to 200 and upping the multiplier to core speeds ranging from 4700 - 4900 and no matter what i do with Vcore it will not stabilize.. sometimes it will load windows and i get to log in before it either freeze or BSOD with different messages and sometimes just BSOD the second the lock screen loads.

Memory wise i have tried XMP profile. I have let the motherboard handle the timing numbers but sticking the speed to 1600, same result.  I have tried to lock down the timing with the speed on 1600, same result.

but if I clear CMOS and just put the memory speed at 1600 the motherboard boosts the CPU to 5 ghz when gaming...

I have checked all the power handeling settings I can find and set them to whatever the highest rating is..

So what do I want with this thread.

Basically I'm hoping some skilled user on here hopefully someone with FX-9590 experience can join me in my quest to push this sucker to it's max... hell, I'd go so far as to skype someone to get help if i knew who to call (don't think ghostbusters can help)

I ideally want to start with just Clear CMOS and go setting by setting cause I can't figure out where the problem is for the life of me...

I'm running BIOS 2201 which at the time of writing is the latest I can find.

it is just a factory overclocked 8370. in most cases you will not be able to overclock it any further.. if i was you i wouldnt try to overvolt it if you are willing to use it longer than 3 or so months from now.... it is a crazy chip, but nothing you can really overclock

Sell that potato CPU and buy something like an old i5 or whatever.

Anything is better than a 9590.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Start by buying a fire extinguisher... Really though a FX-9590 isn't worth any one's time when a Pentium g4560 performs the same.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

16 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

what  psu do you use?

1000W PSU sorry forgot to add that

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Sell that potato CPU and buy something like an old i5 or whatever.

Anything is better than a 9590.

But can you do content creation on an i5? (I literally have no knowledge on intel so bare with me)

I render videos at least once a week so that would be a requirement...

10 minutes ago, Morbidos said:

But can you do content creation on an i5? (I literally have no knowledge on intel so bare with me)

You should ditch this processor, it was outdated already by the time it released, what kind of workload you actually need to do? If it is professional workload I am to assume you have a budget to spend on it being a necessity, a lot of people in here could help you make the most out of it if you provide sufficient information.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 minutes ago, Morbidos said:

Why not...

Rendering videos will just take a few more minutes.

For the first few years I was a youtuber I used a 2500k no problem.

If the video was long I would just render it overnight so I could play games during the day.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

You should ditch this processor, it was outdated already by the time it released, what kind of workload you actually need to do? If it is professional workload I am to assume you have a budget to spend on it being a necessity, a lot of people in here could help you make the most out of it if you provide sufficient information.

as I mentioned in my fist post, I was going to upgrade but a recent change in my economic situation have made that impossible now,

My work load is basically I have a mosquito sice youtube channel and do gaming and tech videos hence i need it to do both gaming and rendering. if I could i would ditch it but I need to wait and at the moment it looks to be a long wait before I can do any major investments...

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why not...

Rendering videos will just take a few more minutes.

For the first few years I was a youtuber I used a 2500k no problem.

If the video was long I would just render it overnight so I could play games during the day.

aha ok!

I don't know where I have it from but thought i heard something about having to have a i7 to do rendering... but thanx for clearing that out... I might have a lead on a i5 that i could probs get for free... I'll check the exact model and get back to you...

3 minutes ago, Morbidos said:

Well overclock the FX-9590 will do you no good, it was shipped pretty much at its silicon maximum capacity, besides half the people who did try to force stuff like 5.2ghz~5.3ghz on it end up burning the motherboard vrm's or something and that pretty much means dead system extra expenses.

When you can upgrade you'll probably want a Ryzen 7 1700 based system, the 2 golden rules for Ryzen 7 1700 are AVOID MSi motherboards at all cost(prefer Asus or AsRock) and get 3000~3200mhz Samsung B-DIE memory ram.

Personal Desktop":

• 3 weeks later...
On 11.9.2017 at 4:23 PM, Morbidos said:

no. in this case the fx 8350 is way better