Upgrading and PSU

KristjanS

So I have decided to upgrade my motherboard, processor and ram as well as get an SSD

I ran the numbers through a calculator and I should be ok with my 500W PSU

But I was wondering, when upgrading something that isn't a GPU, should I worry about the PSU strength at all?

PSU unit Corsair cx 500w

CPU I5 4690k -> I7 7700k

Motherboard Msi z97 gaming 5 -> Z170A gaming 5

Ram 8g DDR3 -> 16gb DDR4

SSD 850 EVO 500gb

Edited by KristjanS

It would be better if you actually told us what the specific PSU unit is and what parts you're going to upgrade to.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It would be better if you actually told us what the specific PSU unit is and what parts you're going to upgrade to.

Thank you for responding. I have added the necessary information

You should always make sure that your PSU is a good quality unit, no matter if you upgrade or not.

Just now, KristjanS said:

Thank you for responding. I have added the necessary information

Yes, it's alright. I wouldn't be upgrading to Kaby Lake though. Either get the i7-4790K or wait for the i7-8700K.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Yes, it's alright. I wouldn't be upgrading to Kaby Lake though. Either get the i7-4790K or wait for the i7-8700K.

Thanks again. It´s kinda too late since the parts are already on their way. Have I made a terrible mistake?

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

You should always make sure that your PSU is a good quality unit, no matter if you upgrade or not.

Ya. I recently discovered my PSU is not the best. Next month I'll be upgrading my GPU which will force me to get a new one. I'm getting a quality one this time :)

1 minute ago, KristjanS said:

Thanks again. It´s kinda too late since the parts are already on their way. Have I made a terrible mistake?

Given the timing of the situation, kinda. Not to worry though, the i7-7700K is still a great CPU.

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Given the timing of the situation, kinda. Not to worry though, the i7-7700K is still a great CPU.

I have the worst luck in these things. I bought a 970 a week before they announced the pascal line. I don't suppose you know the release date of the I7 8700k? It might not be too late to return it

4 minutes ago, KristjanS said:

I have the worst luck in these things. I bought a 970 a week before they announced the pascal line. I don't suppose you know the release date of the I7 8700k? It might not be too late to return it

There's no hard date but it's basically "Soon™". Anyway, if you've already pulled the trigger, just keep the i7-7700K. Like I said, it's a good CPU and you basically get the performance boost now instead of just waiting for Coffee Lake.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

There's no hard date but it's basically "Soon™". Anyway, if you've already pulled the trigger, just keep the i7-7700K. Like I said, it's a good CPU and you basically get the performance boost now instead of just waiting for Coffee Lake.

Right. Thanks for all your help :)

5 hours ago, KristjanS said:

Considering a 4790K overclocked can match a 7700K at stock clocks I'd say yes, but that's just me. 

You say you have a CX500 but what GPU do you have?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 hours ago, KristjanS said:

So I have decided to upgrade my motherboard, processor and ram as well as get an SSD

I ran the numbers through a calculator and I should be ok with my 500W PSU

But I was wondering, when upgrading something that isn't a GPU, should I worry about the PSU strength at all?

PSU unit Corsair cx 500w

CPU I5 4690k -> I7 7700k

Motherboard Msi z97 gaming 5 -> Z170A gaming 5

Ram 8g DDR3 -> 16gb DDR4

SSD 850 EVO 500gb

1. it makes no sense to upgrade from a haswell i5 to a Skylake i7.

If you want an i7, look for a (used) Haswell one. You don't loose much at all.

2. Upgrading from a 4core without SMT to a 4 Core with SMT just makes no sense at all. Even with all the improvements. 

If you want to upgrade, wait for Coffeelake! That's at least a 6 core so it does make a bit of Sense.

Skylake does not. 

Ryzen is something to think about it, but even those don't make that much sense coming from a Haswell

3. What you are doing is wasting money and using an old, bad PSU.

So you'd better spend the money on a decent PSU instead of wasting it for some bullshit sidegrade.

Buttom Line:
Get a decent PSU, maybe some DDR3-SDRAM and probably a good GPU instead of wasting it on that stuff...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Considering a 4790K overclocked can match a 7700K at stock clocks I'd say yes, but that's just me. 

You say you have a CX500 but what GPU do you have?

Hello

I have a 970. I have never had issues with it though.

And yes. I should have done my research. 

19 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

1. it makes no sense to upgrade from a haswell i5 to a Skylake i7.

If you want an i7, look for a (used) Haswell one. You don't loose much at all.

2. Upgrading from a 4core without SMT to a 4 Core with SMT just makes no sense at all. Even with all the improvements. 

If you want to upgrade, wait for Coffeelake! That's at least a 6 core so it does make a bit of Sense.

Skylake does not. 

Ryzen is something to think about it, but even those don't make that much sense coming from a Haswell

3. What you are doing is wasting money and using an old, bad PSU.

So you'd better spend the money on a decent PSU instead of wasting it for some bullshit sidegrade.

Buttom Line:
Get a decent PSU, maybe some DDR3-SDRAM and probably a good GPU instead of wasting it on that stuff...

Thanks for your input. And yes, I admit that I messed up. I should have researched it better. The CPU is already here so there's little I can do about it. I am actually upgrading my entire system and decided to do it in parts. Next month, I'll be upgrading my GPU and getting a decent PSU while I'm at it. 

3 hours ago, KristjanS said:

Thanks for your input. And yes, I admit that I messed up. I should have researched it better. The CPU is already here so there's little I can do about it. I am actually upgrading my entire system and decided to do it in parts. Next month, I'll be upgrading my GPU and getting a decent PSU while I'm at it. 

It's not the end of the world, I would have just gotten a 4770K/4790K instead of upgrading your entire platform for much more money. I'd say there's definitely reason to upgrade from an i5 to an i7 (I did that when my i5 couldn't suffice for 144Hz gaming with a steady 154 FPS in Overwatch) but your platform isn't old enough to warranty going up one generation in chipset features and whatnot. 

I'd keep your GPU and get a new PSU. Unless you're doing 1440P 144Hz there's little reason to upgrade from a 970 IMO. I have a 970 and 4770S and never struggle to play Overwatch at 1440P 60Hz or 1080P 144Hz. I don't know what games you're playing but a 7700K and 970 should keep up with the vast majority of them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||