PC iv'e been planning, Suggestions?

allacogamer

Ive been planning this build for a while, Im gonna be saving up for it and i wantede to know suggestions and the such. It will be used for streaming and video editing, Along with gaming. The color scheme is Red and black. And the moniter is firm, I know i want that one, Unless if you can find me a 34inch Ultra wide 100hz refresh rate That looks as good as this one. Thanks for the help. And yes, I do not NEED that much ram, But i want it. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mfms2R

Everything looks good, maybe you would get down on a 1700 instead of a 1700x, since you have a water cooler, you could just overclock it to the 1700x...?

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

Everything looks good, maybe you would get down on a 1700 instead of a 1700x, since you have a water cooler, you could just overclock it to the 1700x...?

Thanks for the suggestion but because the x series is better for overclocking ill be using that, I forgot to put in the descryption ill be OC it to 4.0 GHz, Thanks though

Ryzen's IMC doesn't like dual-rank DIMMS (means chips on both sides of the DIMM), and it doesn't like 2 DIMMS per channel. 4x16GB is pretty much worst-case scenario. Given that Ryzen's fabric speed is tied to RAM speed, coupled with its weak IMC, you're actually hurting performance by going overkill on RAM. I'd suggest you get 32GB instead -Still overkill, just not such a punishment to the IMC.

That being said, I'm not sure how big a performance hit that is.

Also, instead of getting an expansion card for wireless, you could just get the C6H that has WiFi.

Other than those, my only critiques are brand preference.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

Ryzen's IMC doesn't like dual-rank DIMMS (means chips on both sides of the DIMM), and it doesn't like 2 DIMMS per channel. 4x16GB is pretty much worst-case scenario. Given that Ryzen's fabric speed is tied to RAM speed, coupled with its weak IMC, you're actually hurting performance by going overkill on RAM. I'd suggest you get 32GB instead -Still overkill, just not such a punishment to the IMC.

Also, instead of getting an expansion card for wireless, you could just get the C6H that has WiFi.

I don't think it's so much that it doesn't like dual rank, just that single rank is faster and as such the infinity fabric performs better with it.

Level1 has a great video on memory and Ryzen here if OP wants more info:

3 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

It is a HUGE pet peeve not to have all the DIMM slots full, Do you have any suggestion for that? Plus im getting that one because it was voted the best Wifi card, I just looked up the lift, Dont know if its credible but it still is a good one

Do you know away to keep all the DIMM slots full? and not loose alot of performance?

Do you know how big the real world performance drop will be?

57 minutes ago, allacogamer said:

It is a HUGE pet peeve not to have all the DIMM slots full, Do you have any suggestion for that? Plus im getting that one because it was voted the best Wifi card, I just looked up the lift, Dont know if its credible but it still is a good one

You can do 4x8GB. Both dual-rank DIMMs and multiple DIMMs per channel are stressful, so basically -With 16GB you don't need either, with 32GB you need one or the other, and with 64GB you need both. It's not like you'll see a huge impact on performance, probably no more than 10%, but why sacrifice any for an overkill amount of RAM you don't need? (Especially when the step down is also comfortably overkill~)

And I'm not saying the WiFi card you chose is bad, I'm just saying it would be more efficient to get the variant of that motherboard that has WiFi instead. You save money, space, and fuss. The non-WiFi version just has an empty space on the back anyway.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, allacogamer said:

Do you know a way to keep all the DIMM slots full? And not loose a lot of performance?

53 minutes ago, allacogamer said:

Do you know how big the real world performance drop will be?

Huh? Did you forget you already asked me?

... Twice?

25 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

You can do 4x8GB. Both dual-rank DIMMs and multiple DIMMs per channel are stressful, so basically -With 16GB you don't need either, with 32GB you need one or the other, and with 64GB you need both. It's not like you'll see a huge impact on performance, probably no more than 10%, but why sacrifice any for an overkill amount of RAM you don't need? (Especially when the step down is also comfortably overkill~)

And I'm not saying the WiFi card you chose is bad, I'm just saying it would be more efficient to get the variant of that motherboard that has WiFi instead. You save money, space, and fuss. The non-WiFi version just has an empty space on the back anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

Huh? Did you forget you already asked me?

... Twice?

Ill check out the MOBO But what you are saying is that if i swith to a 4x8GB kit ill still be over kill, For less and run better?

Just now, allacogamer said:

-But what you are saying is that if I switch to a 4x8GB kit I'll still be overkill, for less and run better?

In all likelihood, yes.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

In all likelihood, yes.

You know, That makes absolutly no sense but with how wierd the world is, I bielve it, Thanks for the tip, Also i already selected the C6H