I need help

holyturtle

My gaming PC can't actually game right now. I can play for up to at least 2-3 minutes and then the screen will then black screen and my whole PC restarts. I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it, but I would be glad if someone could help me figure it out

Snip of Hardware.PNG

Edited by holyturtle

5 minutes ago, holyturtle said:

My gaming PC can't actually game right now. I can play for up to at least 2-3 minutes and then the screen will then black screen and my whole PC restarts. I don't know what the problem is and how to fix it, but I would be glad if someone could help me figure it out

What are your specs? What temperature readings are you getting for both the CPU and GPU?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

15 minutes ago, holyturtle said:

-try plugging your pc on another wall outlet. (fixed a similar issue for me, the wiring in the wall was faulty)

-check your pc's power consumption/psu capacity

-factory reset windows and then make a driver install of all your hardware (check what your hardware is and go get the latest driver for it from the website, including bios update).

Check to see if your 12V rail is fluctuating. if so it might be your PSU. 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:13 AM, Howitz said:

-try plugging your pc on another wall outlet. (fixed a similar issue for me, the wiring in the wall was faulty)

-check your pc's power consumption/psu capacity

-factory reset windows and then make a driver install of all your hardware (check what your hardware is and go get the latest driver for it from the website, including bios update).

I'm honestly not sure of all the specs, but I do know that I have a GTS 240 GPU and a old i7 CPU, but I don't know how to check any further

Just now, holyturtle said:

I'm honestly not sure of all the specs, but I do know that I have a GTS 240 GPU and a old i7 CPU, but I don't know how to check any further

Oops this was for the guy who asked for specs

We will need more information in order to help you with your problem, although it appears your system may be overheating. The solution could be as simple as dusting out your PC, to installing new fans in your case.

38 minutes ago, holyturtle said:

Please download, install and run the following (free) utilities:

Speccy

HWMonitor

Open Windows' built-in Snipping Tool, take a "new snip" (screenshot) of Speccy, and add it to your original post.

HWMonitor can read sensor data from various components of your PC, such as your motherboard, processor, graphics card, and storage devices. It will be helpful to diagnose any overheating components.

Please quote or mention me if you would like a timely reply. Thank you!

8 hours ago, TBA said:

We will need more information in order to help you with your problem, although it appears your system may be overheating. The solution could be as simple as dusting out your PC, to installing new fans in your case.

Please download, install and run the following (free) utilities:

Speccy

HWMonitor

Open Windows' built-in Snipping Tool, take a "new snip" (screenshot) of Speccy, and add it to your original post.

HWMonitor can read sensor data from various components of your PC, such as your motherboard, processor, graphics card, and storage devices. It will be helpful to diagnose any overheating components.

I took a photo of the some components when I'm just using the PC to search up things online

Idle PC.PNG

Is your video card 78C at idle? If so, that would make sense why it is cutting off during a game.

You should probably get a better cooler for that card, or at the very least, blow out the shroud with compressed air and reapply thermal paste to the GPU. It's pretty toasty. Is the fan spinning?

27 minutes ago, TBA said:

Is your video card 78C at idle? If so, that would make sense why it is cutting off during a game.

You should probably get a better cooler for that card, or at the very least, blow out the shroud with compressed air and reapply thermal paste to the GPU. It's pretty toasty. Is the fan spinning?

So would it be fine if I choose to upgrade my GPU? Or should I first check if the fan of my GPU will spin and if there is a build up of dust on it?

If you choose to replace the video card you will be fine. Just remember to dust out your case every 6 months or so. The upgrade would do you a lot of good. The one you have now is really dated.

22 minutes ago, TBA said:

If you choose to replace the video card you will be fine. Just remember to dust out your case every 6 months or so. The upgrade would do you a lot of good. The one you have now is really dated.

So there is no problem with the PSU? Also what is the best way for me to dust out my computer

12 minutes ago, holyturtle said:

So there is no problem with the PSU? Also what is the best way for me to dust out my computer

It could still be the PSU, but a GPU idling at 78C is pretty bad. That is load temperature for most cards.

Compressed air. You can buy cans of the stuff that come with a nozzle to spray out fans and components. 

If the GPU was any hotter you could cook food on it. lol

The machine itself is pretty dated, but an SSD, a low end video card, and a decent power supply could keep it going for quite a bit longer.

what game are you playing? i have the same issue. intermittently. PUBG. started about 2 weeks ago. computer just goes black and restarts. cld be a game issue. 

15 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

what game are you playing? i have the same issue. intermittently. PUBG. started about 2 weeks ago. computer just goes black and restarts. cld be a game issue. 

Basically any game I play does this, and it basically plays for about 3 minutes or so and then the screen turns black and my whole PC restarts.

2 hours ago, holyturtle said:

I took a photo of the some components when I'm just using the PC to search up things online

Idle PC.PNG

your normal temps seem quite high. did you check the temp while gaming?  could really be a over heating issue. 

Just now, vaiwalker said:

your normal temps seem quite high. did you check the temp while gaming?  could really be a over heating issue. 

If I were gaming, I have to do it quickly since I know that my computer will restart very soon.

2 minutes ago, holyturtle said:

If I were gaming, I have to do it quickly since I know that my computer will restart very soon.

download NZXT CAM. its a software that displays temps and some other details while in game(you have to activate it first with a keyboard shortcut). watch the temps. see how high it goes before the pc restarts. 

Just now, vaiwalker said:

download NZXT CAM. its a software that displays temps and some other details while in game(you have to activate it first with a keyboard shortcut). watch the temps. see how high it goes before the pc restarts. 

The GPU would jump to about 87C and the CPU jumps to about 76

2 hours ago, TBA said:

Ok, I used NZXT CAM to check my spec temps during gaming, and what I'm seeing is that the GPU fan doesn't even spin. Also these temps are from when I'm streaming a video from YouTube.

NZXT CAM Temps.PNG

Yeah, that's not good. I would go ahead and just get a new card at that point, unless you really want to fix the current one you have.

You could check if the fan is even connected to the PCB underneath (it connects to a header on the video card) and blow the card out. It is possible the fan died and needs to be replaced.

3 hours ago, TBA said:

Yeah, that's not good. I would go ahead and just get a new card at that point, unless you really want to fix the current one you have.

You could check if the fan is even connected to the PCB underneath (it connects to a header on the video card) and blow the card out. It is possible the fan died and needs to be replaced.

this. 

19 hours ago, TBA said:

19 hours ago, TBA said:

Would this be a good idea, I plan to take out my GPU and run a game and see if the GPU is what is causing the crashes. But would that be ok and afterwards do I have to reinstall drivers after putting the GPU back?

15 hours ago, holyturtle said:

Would this be a good idea, I plan to take out my GPU and run a game and see if the GPU is what is causing the crashes. But would that be ok and afterwards do I have to reinstall drivers after putting the GPU back?

Doesn't look like that processor has integrated graphics so you will need to get a replacement if you want to retire the other card.