PC not turning on.

Androby2

The power button on my case does not work and I can't find the power button(if there one on my motherboard) the red LEDs on my mobo turn on, but when I press the power button nothing happens, nothing at all.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350-Plus

Case: NZXT S340

First time building a PC.

do you have GPU? do you have monitor connected to GPU? do you have ram in the right slots? do you have power plugged into everything?

If your power button isnt working, use manual and find which pins are power button and short them with a screwdriver

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, dave_k said:

do you have GPU? do you have monitor connected to GPU? do you have ram in the right slots? do you have power plugged into everything?

Yes, everything.

Can you give us a full parts list? also did you connect the power button to the pins on your motherboard?

To turn it on you need to remove the power button headers and jump the two pins with like a screw driver or something. Also make sure your 24 pin cable is 100% connected. But make sure the puns are connected. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

2 minutes ago, IAmPitchBlack said:

Can you give us a full parts list? also did you connect the power button to the pins on your motherboard?

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350-Plus

Case: NZXT S340

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4 GB

PSU: Corsair CX550

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB

This is what the manual shows. I connected the PWR on the two pins on the 3rd column.

Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-23-06.png

okay so if you open up your manual for the motherboard and go to page 1-4, the third diagram in section 8 will have a picture of the layout of the pinsy ou should connect to. The button for your case is connected to a wire where at the end it should have the label Power SW and another two cables for the LED labeled -P LED and +P LED. The pins are located right next to the sata slots. You're gonna want to have the Power SW cable on the 3rd and 4th pins on the top row and the +P LED cable on the second to last pin on the bottom row and lastly the -PLED on the last pin on the bottom row

edit: Let me know when/if you got that

1 minute ago, Androby2 said:

This is what the manual shows. I connected the PWR on the two pins on the 3rd column.

Screenshot_2017-09-02-16-23-06.png

Short the 3rd and 4th upper pins

Just now, dave_k said:

Short the 3rd and 4th upper pins

1 minute ago, IAmPitchBlack said:

okay so if you open up your manual for the motherboard and go to page 1-4, the third diagram in section 8 will have a picture of the layout of the pinsy ou should connect to. The button for your case is connected to a wire where at the end it should have the label Power SW and another two cables for the LED labeled -P LED and +P LED. The pins are located right next to the sata slots. You're gonna want to have the Power SW cable on the 3rd and 4th pins on the top row and the +P LED cable on the second to last pin on the bottom row and lastly the -PLED on the last pin on the bottom row

edit: Let me know when/if you got that

Mistake found. I connected the pins wrong. I connected the cable to the top and bottom pin on the 3rd column, it should've been the top pins on thrmy 3rd and 4th columns.

Just now, Androby2 said:

Mistake found. I connected the pins wrong. I connected the cable to the top and bottom pin on the 3rd column, it should've been the top pins on thrmy 3rd and 4th columns.

Yeas i was thinking that

9 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Yeas i was thinking that

Actually, it still doesn't work, I tried jumping it too. I'm gonna check the cables again.

@Androby2 Does the machine turn on for a second and then quickly turn back off or just no change when you hit the power button?

If the machine is powering on and off quickly please do the following:

• Ensure that the 8-pin EPS connector is firmly seated in it's socket.
  • Check that all fan headers are plugged in

Otherwise, please try to reconnect the PWR header to your motherboard. Make sure the connector is fully down on the pins.

Let us know how it goes.

Please quote or mention me if you would like a timely reply. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, TBA said:

@Androby2 Does the machine turn on for a second and then quickly turn back off or just no change when you hit the power button?

If the machine is powering on and off quickly please do the following:

• Ensure that the 8-pin ATX connector is firmly seated in it's socket.
  • Check that all fan headers are plugged in

Otherwise, please try to reconnect the PWR header to your motherboard. Make sure the connector is fully down on the pins.

Let us know how it goes.

Nothing changes, I tried reconnecting the PWR header many times in different positions. The LEDs on the MOBO are on when the PSU is getting power. I tried using a screwdriver, but that didn't work.

1 hour ago, Androby2 said:

Nothing changes, I tried reconnecting the PWR header many times in different positions. The LEDs on the MOBO are on when the PSU is getting power. I tried using a screwdriver, but that didn't work.

Odd seeing as the motherboard lights power on.

Please check that you have the correct 8-pin EPS connector plugged in. It will either be a single 8-pin connector, or two 4-pin connectors. The 6+2 pin is for GPUs.

Spoiler

eps-8pin.jpg.123742744a8b28fdafb0a5edb28deb5f.jpg

As a last resort, remove your components from the case and test them on your motherboard box.

Most other issues would still let your machine power on then quickly power off. You would hear fans spinning.

10 minutes ago, TBA said:

Odd seeing as the motherboard lights power on.

Please check that you have the correct 8-pin ATX connector plugged in. It will either be a single 8-pin connector, or two 4-pin connectors. The 6+2 pin is for GPUs.

Hide contents

eps-8pin.jpg.123742744a8b28fdafb0a5edb28deb5f.jpg

As a last resort, remove your components from the case and test them on your motherboard box.

Most other issues shouldn't affect the machine powering on then shutting off. 

I took everything out, I jumped it and it started. The GPU fans stop spinning after a few seconds and the motherboard LEDs start blinking. The American Megatrends screen appears and it says CPU Fan Error. What now?

Well, that depends on if you are using an AiO (All in One) water cooler or an air cooler.

If you are using an AiO, then you can enter BIOS (usually by hitting del or an F key) and finding the setting to ignore the CPU fan. Note this just assumes you have your cooler plugged in to other fan headers.

If you are using an air cooler, simply plug the fan on the cooler into the fan header marked CPU_fan or something similar. It should be close to the CPU socket.

Spoiler

i59aadf1d04345_ASUSPrimeB350PlusLayout.PNG.256802e749b09204f12c004c9d47cc1c.PNG

Pulled directly from your manual.

The reason it wouldn't get that far in your case was because of a short and is easy to fix. For now, focus on getting your system to boot.

3 minutes ago, TBA said:

Well, that depends on if you are using an AiO (All in One) water cooler or an air cooler.

If you are using an AiO, then you can enter BIOS (usually by hitting del or an F key) and finding the setting to ignore the CPU fan. Note this just assumes you have your cooler plugged in to other fan headers.

If you are using an air cooler, simply plug the fan on the cooler into the fan header marked CPU_fan or something similar. It should be close to the CPU socket.

The reason it wouldn't get that far in your case was because of a short and is easy to fix. For now, focus on getting your system to boot.

I'm using air cooling, the fan was in CPU-Fan 2, I moved it to one and now it booted into the UEFI BIOS. The fans on the GPU stopped spinning though.

2 minutes ago, Androby2 said:

I'm using air cooling, the fan was in CPU-Fan 2, I moved it to one and now it booted into the UEFI BIOS. The fans on the GPU stopped spinning though.

Likely because it isn't under any form of load. That's not an issue. POST (Power On Self Test) will ramp up fans when your machine first powers on. The fans will ramp down and even turn off in the case of the GPU if it isn't under load. 

Now, let's try to get your build back into your case.

Please make sure you have all of your motherboard standoffs firmly (but not too tight!) screwed into your case. Then place the motherboard back into the case and screw motherboard screws into the standoffs. Test your build once more. If it gets to BIOS, you are good to finish any cable management you want to do, and put the side panels back on.

46 minutes ago, TBA said:

Likely because it isn't under any form of load. That's not an issue. POST (Power On Self Test) will ramp up fans when your machine first powers on. The fans will ramp down and even turn off in the case of the GPU if it isn't under load. 

Now, let's try to get your build back into your case.

Please make sure you have all of your motherboard standoffs firmly (but not too tight!) screwed into your case. Then place the motherboard back into the case and screw motherboard screws into the standoffs. Test your build once more. If it gets to BIOS, you are good to finish any cable management you want to do, and put the side panels back on.

I read somewhere else that maybe it wasn't starting because I didn't remove the extra standoffs and it was making contact with them, I removed the extra standoffs, placed everything back and it still won't start.

18 minutes ago, Androby2 said:

I read somewhere else that maybe it wasn't starting because I didn't remove the extra standoffs and it was making contact with them, I removed the extra standoffs, placed everything back and it still won't start.

You should have standoffs only in the positions circled in red. Make sure you are using the appropriate screws and screw them down properly.

Spoiler

59aaed3cddd2d_ASUSPrimeB350PlusLayout.PNG.c63c2edd9a0603f6875f961046edfe68.PNG

Motherboard screws look like this.

Spoiler

59aaee0f62da6_Motherboardscrews.jpg.1417c1855fd70deac5cb7ea312753330.jpg

1 minute ago, TBA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

59aaed3cddd2d_ASUSPrimeB350PlusLayout.PNG.c63c2edd9a0603f6875f961046edfe68.PNG

59aaee0f62da6_Motherboardscrews.jpg.1417c1855fd70deac5cb7ea312753330.jpg

You should have standoffs only in the positions circled in red. Make sure you are using the appropriate screws and screw them down properly.

Yeah I made sure, there are 6 red circles so I only kept 6 standoffs inside the case and I'm using the correct screws.

Just now, Androby2 said:

Yeah I made sure, there are 6 red circles so I only kept 6 standoffs inside the case and I'm using the correct screws.

Hmm. Check for any trapped cables under your motherboard.

14 minutes ago, TBA said:

Hmm. Check for any trapped cables under your motherboard.

No cables there.

Hmm. Any metal contacting the motherboard? Besides the screws.