Should I wait for Volta?

TheFlyingSquirrel

Should I wait for Volta?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Response

• Dude you don't game enough why bother upgrade
    • Volta for the win
    • Vega 56, mate fine wine, you upgrade every 4 years

So I have been thinking about upgrading my GPU as I am still on the 7950 3GB Boost.

At the moment, I barely play any games, ~6 hours a week (27, long work hours, dates, blah blah blah.. life)

BUT when I do it is Witcher 3, Homeworld Remastered, Tekken 7, Maybe (Absolver)

Waiting for PC games: Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Monster Hunter World, Cyberpunk 2077

Considering Vega 56 as I can get it for 390 in the UK, but wondering if it is worth waiting to Volta to increase my options, and wait for the miners to get bored.

Also I upgrade every 3-4 years.

Current System:

- Montior: 1440p Bend BL2710pt non free sync

- i7-4770k @ stock

- Corsair AX760

- 16GB @ 2400mhz

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

seeing as you have a non-freesync screen, why bother going with amd, get a 10 series gpu. they are on par or better and draw way less wattage. (they are even 1 year old and still on par/better than amd's new gpu's)

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

I have 84 hour work weeks... sometimes it goes up to 90. What I've learned is people will always judge you for what they'd benefit from because they're not in the same situation as you.

I'd go with the 1080/Ti unless you want to wait for Volta. Don't go Vega unless you're ready to upgrade your power supply as well.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

54 minutes ago, kidanime3d said:

At the moment, I barely play any games, ~6 hours a week (27, long work hours, dates, blah blah blah.. life)

BUT when I do it is Witcher 3, Homeworld Remastered, Tekken 7, Maybe (Absolver)

Waiting for PC games: Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Monster Hunter World, Cyberpunk 2077

I've got the exact same problem. Barely any free time left for gaming, due to uni, job, sports, social life, etc. Thats why I bought a GTX 1060 6GB. But if I had to reconsider this choice, I'd go with a GTX 1080 at the very least, so that I can spend the little time I have with the best possible graphical experience I can get. Besides that, I strongly believe that "waiting for a new gpu" is basically never worth it. Just imagine if you would have waited for the release of Vega to upgrade and now it shows up and turns out to be a huge disappointment... Just work with whats available right now, but still make a sensible choice. Also Kingdom Come and Cyberpunk are both going to be real hogs when it comes to graphical computing power.

TL;DR Get the fastest card you can afford right now, and enjoy your games instead of waiting on something that might turn out to be a flop.

2 hours ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

seeing as you have a non-freesync screen, why bother going with amd, get a 10 series gpu. they are on par or better and draw way less wattage. (they are even 1 year old and still on par/better than amd's new gpu's)

In the UK, Vega 56 and 64 is the same cost as 1070 and 1080.  I get HBM2, and a card that beats 1070 at stock on incomplete drivers.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Vega is a flop and Volta won't be out for a while. If you're itching for a Vega 54 or better upgrade, get a GTX 1070 (or better) instead.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

13 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

Vega is a flop and Volta won't be out for a while. If you're itching for a Vega 54 or better upgrade, get a GTX 1070 (or better) instead.

Quantify flop, in the UK Vega 56 is actually cheaper than the GTX 1070 with better performance

9 hours ago, kidanime3d said:

Quantify flop, in the UK Vega 56 is actually cheaper than the GTX 1070 with better performance

It uses 40% more power to deliver between a 4% to 9% advantage on average compared to the competition. Most storefronts don't have them in stock, and their price is already starting to inflate, making them more expensive than the GTX 1070. Also, Vega 56 is more than a year late to the scene, trying to compete with a similarly performing video card that's already well established within the PC gaming crowd.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

11 hours ago, kidanime3d said:

The only 1070 it's better than is the reference model. Any high end AIB 1070 will smash it after an overclock, especially when Vega oc's so poorly.

Are you really asking us a question here because you seem to be defending the 56 pretty hardcore lol

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

On 03/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, Frankenburger said:

It uses 40% more power to deliver between a 4% to 9% advantage on average compared to the competition. Most storefronts don't have them in stock, and their price is already starting to inflate, making them more expensive than the GTX 1070. Also, Vega 56 is more than a year late to the scene, trying to compete with a similarly performing video card that's already well established within the PC gaming crowd.

That is a fair point, though the UK has plenty stock at MSRP.  I guess my point of view is different, i just want graphic card competition, i couldnt careless about brand.  Nvidia will never release Volta if they can milk Pascal without threat from rivals, and the price inflation is madness even with the mining craze unlike HBM2, GDDR5 is cheaper

Volta won't be out until q2 2018 at the very earliest . At this rate... you could almost wait for navi ...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

23 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

The only 1070 it's better than is the reference model. Any high end AIB 1070 will smash it after an overclock, especially when Vega oc's so poorly.

Are you really asking us a question here because you seem to be defending the 56 pretty hardcore lol

I am 27, i have no brand basis having owned both Nvidia and AMD over the years, I just believe in competition which the GPU market lacked post 79XX days.  Looking this objectively, AMD increased power draw to compete with Pascal, it was silly but neccessary for marketing, young gamers these days couldnt care less about power draw as it aint their electricity bill, perf/£ is better, not mention "fine wine".   Ref vs Ref Vega win, Aftermarket oc vs Aftermarket oc i suspect GTX 1070 due to the artificial 300W limit, and temps based throttling.

I ask my question to discuss my thought process.  Right now, i am a bit stuck, GTX 1080 was 449 before Vega now it is 500+ so it is too expensive, gtx 1070 is 410 for a decent card, Vega is 389 for a blower ref with high TDP,  i cant win.  The increase in GDDR5 cost will only makes things worse

Where is the go GTX 980ti option? really though Volta is at very least another 10 months away from us... it is a long wait.

Vega 56? how about no... people waited 3 years to have AMD finally reach the GTX 980ti level of performance with it... a bit disappointed... I can make my TITAN X Maxwell outperform it still =0

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

honestly I'd get a 1060 6GB, it keeps up with my 980 which I'm happily playing everyone on, and put a bit more money back into the kitty, save up for a oversea's holiday or something as you working a ton. treat yourself :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

9 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Where is the go GTX 980ti option? really though Volta is at very least another 10 months away from us... it is a long wait.

Vega 56? how about no... people waited 3 years to have AMD finally reach the GTX 980ti level of performance with it... a bit disappointed... I can make my TITAN X Maxwell outperform it still =0

980TI is 310 used, 90 quid more imhave either a 1070 or Vega 56 so why bother. Titan X was an 800+ quid card is should still be killing it

12 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

honestly I'd get a 1060 6GB, it keeps up with my 980 which I'm happily playing everyone on, and put a bit more money back into the kitty, save up for a oversea's holiday or something as you working a ton. treat yourself :P 

Mining inflation makes that card near 270, so for a 100 quid more i get an extra 20fps on Witcher 3.

This year it will be Jamaica, Bulgaria, and Lanzarote. Plenty Tlc

If you CAN wait for Volta there's no harm in it. If your 7950 is delivering performance that you're comfortable with, and you can wait circa a year, the wait.

However, if you need to upgrade, Vega 56 isn't exactly on par with the 1070 but if it's cheaper, it's a fine buy. It's performing pretty well on more practical tasks and mining if those are your things too.

A used 980ti with a good OC will be a good bet also, keeping in mind it'll probably retain value better than a 1070 when Volta drops, you'll get resell.

If I was in your situation, I would wait a little until you can afford a 1080 or 1080ti. If Volta releases around the time then great, you can buy the higher end volta card. Otherwise, you're still left with a card that can CRUSH the titles you play and many like it well into the future.

Hope this was helpful.

10 hours ago, kidanime3d said:

I am 27, i have no brand basis having owned both Nvidia and AMD over the years, I just believe in competition which the GPU market lacked post 79XX days.  Looking this objectively, AMD increased power draw to compete with Pascal, it was silly but neccessary for marketing, young gamers these days couldnt care less about power draw as it aint their electricity bill, perf/£ is better, not mention "fine wine".   Ref vs Ref Vega win, Aftermarket oc vs Aftermarket oc i suspect GTX 1070 due to the artificial 300W limit, and temps based throttling.

I ask my question to discuss my thought process.  Right now, i am a bit stuck, GTX 1080 was 449 before Vega now it is 500+ so it is too expensive, gtx 1070 is 410 for a decent card, Vega is 389 for a blower ref with high TDP,  i cant win.  The increase in GDDR5 cost will only makes things worse

Look, I am exactly the same. I couldn't care less what brand components are in my pc, as long as they are the best I can get for the money I am willing to spend. Competition is good for everybody and helps prices stabilise.

So what is the reason as to why you don't want to go with a 1070 now ? A nice custom model will last you a while and you can sell it for a 30% loss when Volta releases if you want to upgrade ?

10 hours ago, kidanime3d said:

Mining inflation makes that card near 270, so for a 100 quid more i get an extra 20fps on Witcher 3.

This year it will be Jamaica, Bulgaria, and Lanzarote. Plenty Tlc

Nice holiday destinations, even though I live in the UK I am originally from Bulgaria and there are some awesome places to visit there :)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

On 2.9.2017 at 1:19 PM, Hiitchy said:

I have 84 hour work weeks... sometimes it goes up to 90.

sick shit. I thought 60+ will burn you out quickly. What´s your job?

On 9/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, kidanime3d said:

Nvidia will never release Volta if they can milk Pascal without threat from rivals

Oh, they'll definitely release Volta either way. It's not like there was competition against Maxwell. The Fury was an even bigger flop than Vega 64, yet Nvidia released the 1080Ti well before Vega dropped.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Do you have a lot of disposable income? If you do then Id get the Vega 56 but not till the 3rd party vendors start dropping them. Otherwise wait till Volta.  I know how you feel though. I dont game like I used to. I spend 10 hours a day on my PC working. When I get home I honestly toss on the PS4 Pro and play on there with my IRL friends for a few hours of BF1 and Overwatch. As I have gotten older the days of me being a hardcore gamer is becoming a thing of the past.  

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

Thanks to everyone who commented, based on your feedback i have decided to wait for vega 56 aftermarket to see if things change, and if they haven't i will buy a 1070 if available at non mining inflated prices.   I thought hard about the 1080 but i simply just don't game enough anyone, a 1070 will suit my casual gamer needs.