Help me live with my horrid bandwidth cap!

DrSpychology

So the title says it all, as a student, I get 25 GB of download a month and a measly 2.5 GB of upload a month. It's been horrible living with it, but I have to live with it, so help me.

I've already started by downloading bigger files that I need at home, things like programs I need for my studies, but I still see the counter go down fast, I have to download presentations to know what I have to do, and these aren't small presentations, they go up to 100+ mb, and I need to download a lot. Another thing I've done to reduce my downloads, is install a chrome plugin that automatically sets youtube quality to 240p.

For uploads, I'm stuck, it was always on 100%, but now that I've started using video chat, it shrinks 10% every hour that I use it. If I were to use it freely, it would be depleted within a week. I use google hangouts for chat, but there I can't see anything that lets me lower the video quality. My webcam is 720p, but I'm guessing the video would still look fine if it would be sent in 360p or something, and would give me more time to chat. 

I'm so mad at my ISP, I see my bandwidth limits ticking down slowly, and I don't want to be stuck without internet, because it would ruin my ability to study and to keep in touch with everyone who's not next to me. It's terrible coming from home, where I have a bandwidth cap that's high enough that I never have to worry about it, even streaming HD video and downloading tons of games, and no upload cap.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, no wifi, only ethernet, you need to log in every time you want to use the internet, and the log in system frequently freaks out.  

Dude that sucks. Is a limit set in the dorms or are you paying for internet an the ISP is limiting you.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Dude that sucks. Is a limit set in the dorms or are you paying for internet an the ISP is limiting you.

It's some strange system set up by my university, everyone has their personal login and personal bandwidth caps. However, you don't get any choice: You only get 25 GB download and 2.5 GB upload, and you can't pay more to get higher caps. 

Maybe try to find a McDonalds or another store with Free Wifi that you can use for larger files + youtube. It's what I did when I went on vacation and the hotel didn't have wifi.

If you visit a wifi hotspot make sure you have a vpn turned on and that you have your firewall set to block all incoming connections. 

Maybe try to find a McDonalds or another store with Free Wifi that you can use for larger files + youtube. It's what I did when I went on vacation and the hotel didn't have wifi.

The classrooms and stuff have free wifi, but I can't watch youtube during class, giggling in the back, and I already download the larger files at home or in class, but sometimes I need a file quickly, and I still end up downloading them at my room.

get a 4g modem dongle thing?

4G barely exists here and costs €40 a month for 4 gigs of download or something insane like that, so not really an option...

4G barely exists here and costs €40 a month for 4 gigs of download or something insane like that, so not really an option...

3g? lol

That small of a limit sounds awful. If you can find out how they track usage, you might be able to circumvent their limiting system? If there were options to pay for more bandwidth (which there aren't according to you) I'd say pay, but to limit people entirely like that seems wrong. To be clear... is this an ISP limit, or a school limit?

That small of a limit sounds awful. If you can find out how they track usage, you might be able to circumvent their limiting system? If there were options to pay for more bandwidth (which there aren't according to you) I'd say pay, but to limit people entirely like that seems wrong. To be clear... is this an ISP limit, or a school limit?

It is so damn awful, I remember having the same limits at home in 2005 or something... and they track by login, we have to login every time we connect to the internet (which is another horrible annoyance). Also, I don't know the difference between an ISP limit or a school limit, could someone please explain what they mean? 

The classrooms and stuff have free wifi, but I can't watch youtube during class, giggling in the back, and I already download the larger files at home or in class, but sometimes I need a file quickly, and I still end up downloading them at my room.

There are some applications that let you download youtube videos, then watch them offline. Unfortunatley, Youtube doesn't allow them.

I have an unupdated app on my iPod that lets me do that, and I quite enjoy it =3

It is so damn awful, I remember having the same limits at home in 2005 or something... and they track by login, we have to login every time we connect to the internet (which is another horrible annoyance). Also, I don't know the difference between an ISP limit or a school limit, could someone please explain what they mean? 

An ISP limit is a limit from your internet service provider (hence the name ISP) That essentially you signed up for and paid. Examples are like Rogers or Bell if you're up here in Canada.

A school limit is simply given to you when you join the school's network - the school handles the ISP talk and you get what the school gives you. No negotiation.

It's too bad that the project files are not available on a lan network so the department would have that file available for a local download, as opposed to making you use your isp which they impose that heavy limit on.

There are some applications that let you download youtube videos, then watch them offline. Unfortunatley, Youtube doesn't allow them.

I have an unupdated app on my iPod that lets me do that, and I quite enjoy it =3

An ISP limit is a limit from your internet service provider (hence the name ISP) That essentially you signed up for and paid. Examples are like Rogers or Bell if you're up here in Canada.

A school limit is simply given to you when you join the school's network - the school handles the ISP talk and you get what the school gives you. No negotiation.

In that case, I have a school limit

It's too bad that the project files are not available on a lan network so the department would have that file available for a local download, as opposed to making you use your isp which they impose that heavy limit on.

I don't think this would work, because the majority of students rooms are privately owned over here, so they don't connect to a single lan network but to the internet directly. And even if I'm wrong and it is possible, all things technical over here are messed up, so they wouldn't be able to make it work. There are hundreds of sites that we get bounced around to for assignments, schedules and books, I'm constantly logging in everywhere, I'm going insane with all these different systems

so you think you have a problem.

Current Plan Details Current Plan: Bronze Expires1: Wednesday, 4 December 2013 7:26:55 a.m. Download: 3,440.28MB Upload: 343.56MB Total Data: 3,783.83MB out of 4,096.00MB (92.38%)  

Auto Renew: Off

1 or when traffic limit reached.

or 1Gb per week for $10 NZD

generally you run into these stupid issues is because the people that come up with these systems don't really understand tech, and how to streamline the process. They usually just look at the budget and go with the lowest contractor to save money, which results in the difficult system they have implemented there.

Geeze, how do they expect you to live with 25GB/month? When I lived at university, we had a 5GB/day limit, which I still hit all the time. The limit seemed to be tied to a MAC address instead of the login, so I just changed the MAC address every time I hit the limit. That might or might not work for you depending on how your university set up their network.

I wouldn't consider 25GB/month to qualify as internet access TBH I often use more than that a day.

If the login system has any users that are uncapped, I'd do my best to aquire one of those logins.

invest in a 3g/4g personal hotspot from a company that offers unlimited data with it!

Never mind saw it!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

so you think you have a problem.

Current Plan Details Current Plan: Bronze Expires1: Wednesday, 4 December 2013 7:26:55 a.m. Download: 3,440.28MB Upload: 343.56MB Total Data: 3,783.83MB out of 4,096.00MB (92.38%)  

Auto Renew: Off

1 or when traffic limit reached.

or 1Gb per week for $10 NZD

I realise there are even worse cases, but the university expects us to download a ton of presentations and programs, which would immediatly destroy the limit, and there is no way for us to upgrade in any way. Also, got some tips to live with that? 

Geeze, how do they expect you to live with 25GB/month? When I lived at university, we had a 5GB/day limit, which I still hit all the time. The limit seemed to be tied to a MAC address instead of the login, so I just changed the MAC address every time I hit the limit. That might or might not work for you depending on how your university set up their network.

When you connect any computer to any of the wired connections using the system, it opens up a browser tab where you need to log in. Changing the MAC address won't do anything. And I don't know why they expect us to live with such a horrid limit, but then expect us to download 20 GB of presentations and programs in a week... 

I wouldn't consider 25GB/month to qualify as internet access TBH I often use more than that a day.

If the login system has any users that are uncapped, I'd do my best to aquire one of those logins.

It doesn't to the best of my knowledge

generally you run into these stupid issues is because the people that come up with these systems don't really understand tech, and how to streamline the process. They usually just look at the budget and go with the lowest contractor to save money, which results in the difficult system they have implemented there.

Found some specs of the server that apparently runs the entire system for 60 000 students, it has 1 GB of ECC RAM, and I don't know anything about servers, but that doesn't seem like it's enough...

I would go and physically find the IT guy at the place and ask him for information, although if the spending on IT is poor he is likely to have plenty of frustrations of his own.

Sounds ridiculous. Students are probably the most internet intensive users. Aren't presentations and all that posted before you have to do them? You should wi-fi all of it in class.

Get NetWorx and configure it so it alerts you when you use a set percent of a specified amount of data (in your case 25GB). That's what I do, since my dad limits me to 20GB a month total. :(

The worst part is that our ISP allots us 200GB a month, I believe. So him and my sister get about 90GB each. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sounds really odd that your university only gives you 25GB per month and then requires you to download files that exceed the capabilities of your connection. Don't get me wrong, but that just sounds plain stupid.

Pretty much the only way you get around the cap is using free wifi whenever it's available and if you can, get a 3G modem with better data plan.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602