Help me live with my horrid bandwidth cap!

DrSpychology

Usage caps are needed for huge networks like that. There's really no way around it. They suck big time though... They should however manage to set up some sort of system where all school related traffic (school software, presentations etc.) didn't count towards the network usage. Sudden realization: It would take two months worth of allowances for me to sync up my DropBox on a new machine with those restrictions

Usage caps are needed for huge networks like that. There's really no way around it. They suck big time though... They should however manage to set up some sort of system where all school related traffic (school software, presentations etc.) didn't count towards the network usage. Sudden realization: It would take two months worth of allowances for me to sync up my DropBox on a new machine with those restrictions

I know, but they seem to be able to do something about it, since the bandwidth caps are slowly moving up, they went from 20 GB last year to 25 GB this year. I have the biggest problem with the upload cap, because I've never had one before, I'm used to being able to upload 2.5 GB a day without even a hickup.

Sounds really odd that your university only gives you 25GB per month and then requires you to download files that exceed the capabilities of your connection. Don't get me wrong, but that just sounds plain stupid.

Pretty much the only way you get around the cap is using free wifi whenever it's available and if you can, get a 3G modem with better data plan.

I think I'm an exception in comparison to most other students as a student civil engineering in architecture. I need things like autocad, sketchup, photoshop,... and the presentations for our assignments are usually filled with pictures and movies, so they're big and we usually get them at 11 PM at the earliest, it's driving me crazy...

Get NetWorx and configure it so it alerts you when you use a set percent of a specified amount of data (in your case 25GB). That's what I do, since my dad limits me to 20GB a month total. :(

The worst part is that our ISP allots us 200GB a month, I believe. So him and my sister get about 90GB each. :(

I need to log in every time I want to use the internet, and it shows how much I've used already, so I'm always aware of how much I use. And that sucks dude, I'd try to become good friends with your sisters and getting them to download the big files you need :)

Sounds ridiculous. Students are probably the most internet intensive users. Aren't presentations and all that posted before you have to do them? You should wi-fi all of it in class.

I use wifi as much as I can, but the biggest presentations are usually released deep into the night, when everything's closed.

I would go and physically find the IT guy at the place and ask him for information, although if the spending on IT is poor he is likely to have plenty of frustrations of his own.

IT probably has enough problems with all the other systems as is, everything uses something different, I'm going insane just using it, I can't imagine what it is like managing it. But I'll try anyway

I know, but they seem to be able to do something about it, since the bandwidth caps are slowly moving up, they went from 20 GB last year to 25 GB this year. I have the biggest problem with the upload cap, because I've never had one before, I'm used to being able to upload 2.5 GB a day without even a hickup.

At my university we had a limit og 10GB each way, each day, and if we blew it, we got a mildly angry letter from the IT department telling us we had to behave :P So I can't really pretend I get your pain ;)

I need to log in every time I want to use the internet, and it shows how much I've used already, so I'm always aware of how much I use. And that sucks dude, I'd try to become good friends with your sisters and getting them to download the big files you need :)

But her computer is horrible. Mine isn't exactly fast (one in the middle of my sig) but it still beats the crap out of hers. At least I have 2. And one has the same name as hers, even though it's an ASUS. :P   B)  Tehehehe.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

At my university we had a limit og 10GB each way, each day, and if we blew it, we got a mildly angry letter from the IT department telling us we had to behave :P So I can't really pretend I get your pain ;)

If we blow the limit, I think we get severly throttled (I'm guessing something like 0.5 Mbps down at best) but I'd rather not go there, because then instead of studying, I'm waiting around for my work to be downloaded.

But her computer is horrible. Mine isn't exactly fast (one in the middle of my sig) but it still beats the crap out of hers. At least I have 2. And one has the same name as hers, even though it's an ASUS. :P   B)  Tehehehe.

Maybe hack the system then? I remember myself guessing the passwords for the admin account when I was younger so I could play a game you needed to run as admin :P

If it's available could you get unlimited data on your phone and tether?

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

If it's available could you get unlimited data on your phone and tether?

To get unlimited data on my phone, I would need to pay something like €80 a month, which I can't afford as a student... 

I have an iPhone and with my data plan I get a free wifi hotspot. You can your own password and everything. just go to network options and select it. Or pair it using bluetooth or USB. This is a great tool with okay speeds and I think it's unlimited. I'm not sure of your phone plan so you'll have to check up on that.

Intel Core i7 4770k | MSI Z87 | 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz  Kingston HyperX | GeForce GTX 780 | Fractal Design Define R4 | 1TB WD Blue | CX600 | Corsair H100i