Ethernet cabling to a wifi extender?

Insomniax

I'm building a new pc for gaming and such but I'm having the issue where my wifi modem is in the lounge connected to the Foxtel and I can't and don't want to have my pc in the lounge so how can I have my fast Ethernet cabling elsewhere in the house. Would a wifi extender work?

3 minutes ago, Insomniax said:

I'm building a new pc for gaming and such but I'm having the issue where my wifi modem is in the lounge connected to the Foxtel and I can't and don't want to have my pc in the lounge so how can I have my fast Ethernet cabling elsewhere in the house. Would a wifi extender work?

you need a powerline adapter

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

22 minutes ago, Insomniax said:

There are multiple options.

Ideally, you'd run an ethernet cable directly to your PC. This may involve running it through walls or ceilings - and may or may not be practical.

Alternatively, Powerline Ethernet is probably the 2nd best choice, assuming the electrical wiring in your home is relatively new (Built or rewired in the 90's or newer - and does NOT use aluminum wiring). Powerline Ethernet can work great, or it can suck terribly. No way to know without testing.

Finally, sure, you can use a WIFI Extender. But please don't. Extenders work by re-transmitting the wireless network, and WILL slowdown your wireless performance.

Another possible solution, if you can run an ethernet cable closer (but not all the way) to your PC is to run the cable as close as you can, and then install a Wireless Access Point (WAP). This will give you better WIFI signal at your PC. This may or may not be practical.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/1/2017 at 11:09 AM, Insomniax said:

You could do this:

https://happylittleforkbomb.wordpress.com/2017/08/17/wifis-and-the-netizens-who-love-then/

But, if the issue is related to interference, another AP won't help.

Or, you could just run Ethernet.

Worst case if you need to use a wireless extender you can use it like a wireless bridge and connect an Ethernet cable to the extender itself and then to your computer then force the extender to use the 5ghz network on your existing router(assuming you have one)

You still have to deal with WiFi and the issues associated with using WiFi but you at least won't lose half your throughput connecting to the extender wirelessly. Most extenders have Ethernet ports on them now, I recommend a Linksys re6400 or any Netgear AC range extender. 

What I did to solve a similar issue you are experiencing is that I ran a 100ft Ethernet cable into the room from where my router was at. Not an elegant solution but it works and it works a lot better than power line or wifi. 

If you have coax near the router and near where your computer is going, you can use MOCA adapters. Generally they are better than power line and will give faster speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.