What happens when an SSD gets full whilst being written to?

So this might sound like a dumb question so please bear with me. 

I'm at a friends house currently and I've just rememeber that before I left 3 days ago I forgot to turn off OBS... which means it's still recording now as I type this, and I cannot get home to turn it off. 

The file is going to be over at least 60GB and I have only 50 GB left on nun SSD so my question is: what's going to happen? Will OBS just stop recording when the SSD gets full? Will this chase any damage?

When moving files, just like when putting files on any other drive, windows will say there is no space in the device you are trying to transfer to and it will not let you move the file.

If it is a program recording the files, OBS will just stop when it runs out of space.

Also, you should never go above 90% full on an SSD or you're seriously screwing it up.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also, you should never go above 90% full on an SSD or you're seriously screwing it up.

Just curious, what happens? My desktop is getting pretty stuffed full of data

Thanks for the peace of mind everyone, I'll be sure to delete it when I get home.

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

When moving files, just like when putting files on any other drive, windows will say there is no space in the device you are trying to transfer to and it will not let you move the file.

If it is a program recording the files, OBS will just stop when it runs out of space.

I usually record files to my 1 TB HDD or external HDD but it's a fresh install of Windows and I forgot to set up the right file path.

OBS will just report file write failure and stop writing to SSD.

Depending on settings, the file will be incomplete and you won't be able to open it directly in a movie player but you can recover the contents using various tools (to rebuild file index, close the file properly etc, or to just simply extract the portion of recording you want and throw out the rest)

19 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Just curious, what happens? My desktop is getting pretty stuffed full of data

TRIM stops working correctly, and will cause massive drive slow downs and possibly corrupt data.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

TRIM stops working correctly, and will cause massive drive slow downs and possibly corrupt data.

"Corrupt data" doesn't bother me that much since the only thing I care about potentially losing is family photos mostly, and I have those backed up to Google Drive and an ExternalHDD. I just don't want to have to buy a new drive, I'll clear it out a bit then and let it breathe.

this is why i have remote access from my phone using Google Remote Desktop. just in case i leave something running that i shouldnt have

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.