is 1440 worth it?

fastcar123
13 hours ago, fastcar123 said:

I am looking into getting a high refresh rate monitor. I currently have a 21:9 panel and a 144Hz 16:9 panel. 

I want to get a high refresh rate 21:9 panel.

I am currently looking at a Crossover brand monitor from Korea. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Crossover-3412UM-AHIPS-BOOST-CLOCK-95Hz-3440-x-1440-34-Gaming-Monitor/332309880567?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45728%26meid%3De102ecdbab654dd3a885aad4a7eb89b5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D222529104468&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I really do want this monitor and I have bought Korean monitors before. But I also don't want to be disappointed if the higher resolution isn't worth the extra money involved. 

So by that I want to know that my graphics card can handle that and I also want to know if I will even be able to tell the difference with the higher resolution.

So my question is with a GTX980 (non Ti) is 3440x1440 worth it? or should I just stick with 2560X1080?

I play 

-skyrim 

-fallout4 

-starcraft II

-just cause 3

and when it comes out destiny 2. 

I am mainly building for Destiny 2 because I really loved the first one. 

Should I shoot for 3440x1440 with 95hz (which for me is more than playable)

or should I save $300 ish for a standard resolution of 2560x1080?

I would improve your graphics card becuase that s basically playing 1440p with a gtx 1060 I'd sell it for a 1070 or 1080 or Vega 56 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

9 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

I would improve your graphics card becuase that s basically playing 1440p with a gtx 1060 I'd sell it for a 1070 or 1080 or Vega 56 

With the inflation as high as it is right now, thats not really an option for me.

48 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

Hey 75% better and its free.

If there really is higher visuals from that I should just do that and forget a new monitor entirely

75% is an approx. from me, it might be less idk...

Try it and let me know. For me, it does an amazing job. Of course I will get a new monitor one day, but for now, it does the job so i'll wait for monitors to drop prices a bit, once 4K 144hz monitor comes in 2018, 1440p 144hz will be cheaper i hope..

Try DSR and let us know. 

I play Smite sometimes, its a MOBA in 3rd person perspective, it is not very gpu demanding, and it supports resolution scale in game. So I have set DSR 4K, and used 200% resolution scale in game, which simulate an 8K resolution. Of course, even with the gtx 1070 I was lagging in 8K lollll but surprisly going 2160p with 175% resolution scale ( 7K resolution ) the game run over 60 fps all the time with no drops under 60 fps hehehehe

The game looks awesome in "7K" :P 

I have tried that with Battlefield 1. 2160p and 200% resolution scale, I had like 5 FPS with my gtx 1070 lollll :P  8K resolution hurts my gpu

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

8 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

75% is an approx. from me, it might be less idk...

Try it and let me know. For me, it does an amazing job. Of course I will get a new monitor one day, but for now, it does the job so i'll wait for monitors to drop prices a bit, once 4K 144hz monitor comes in 2018, 1440p 144hz will be cheaper i hope..

Try DSR and let us know. 

I play Smite sometimes, its a MOBA in 3rd person perspective, it is not very gpu demanding, and it supports resolution scale in game. So I have set DSR 4K, and used 200% resolution scale in game, which simulate an 8K resolution. Of course, even with the gtx 1070 I was lagging in 8K lollll but surprisly going 2160p with 175% resolution scale ( 7K resolution ) the game run over 60 fps all the time with no drops under 60 fps hehehehe

The game looks awesome in "7K" :P 

I have tried that with Battlefield 1. 2160p and 200% resolution scale, I had like 5 FPS with my gtx 1070 lollll :P  8K resolution hurts my gpu

Yea, I figured it was an estimate. I guess what I really meant is just thw noticable increase.

At this point, even though I havent tied DSR,  I will shy away from thw high end monitor for now. Ill probably get one at some point. I still hate that I can't find even a 1080 panel at 120 or 100hz but I suppose what I have will do for now.

Again I tried virtual super resolution (amds version of dsr) and noticed little to no effect. However I do still want to try dsr.

I will try this when I get home and play a few games. And I will report back.

If I can get my current monitor to overclock at all, even to 80hz, I think I would run dsr and PC all the time and that wpuld pretty much fix it for me

1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

Yea, I figured it was an estimate. I guess what I really meant is just thw noticable increase.

At this point, even though I havent tied DSR,  I will shy away from thw high end monitor for now. Ill probably get one at some point. I still hate that I can't find even a 1080 panel at 120 or 100hz but I suppose what I have will do for now.

Again I tried virtual super resolution (amds version of dsr) and noticed little to no effect. However I do still want to try dsr.

I will try this when I get home and play a few games. And I will report back.

If I can get my current monitor to overclock at all, even to 80hz, I think I would run dsr and PC all the time and that wpuld pretty much fix it for me

My monitor can overclock to 75 hz but when using DSR, can't. Have to stay at 60 hz. So you probably will have to use the stock hertz of your monitor with DSR. As soon as you set the DSR options, it will turn off your HZ overclock on the monitor.

I never tried the AMD's DSR thing. So can't tell. But the difference with Nvidia DSR is very very noticeable. It makes my games so better. and since ive told my friend to try that they all are amazed :P 

Its surely not as great as native but its awesome since its free :) 

report back id like to have your opinion 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

2 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

My monitor can overclock to 75 hz but when using DSR, can't. Have to stay at 60 hz. So you probably will have to use the stock hertz of your monitor with DSR. As soon as you set the DSR options, it will turn off your HZ overclock on the monitor.

I never tried the AMD's DSR thing. So can't tell. But the difference with Nvidia DSR is very very noticeable. It makes my games so better. and since ive told my friend to try that they all are amazed :P 

Its surely not as great as native but its awesome since its free :) 

report back id like to have your opinion 

I will for sure.

That sucks about the Hz thing though. Is it a bandwidth issue perhaps?

My panel is supposed to do 75 but I can also set it to 60. Which would you think it would run at?

22 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

I will for sure.

That sucks about the Hz thing though. Is it a bandwidth issue perhaps?

My panel is supposed to do 75 but I can also set it to 60. Which would you think it would run at?

IDK it depends. Most monitor that can overclock to higher than 60 can't do it for higher resolutions ( DSR )

When I set mine at 75 hz, and then enable DSR 4X per example, it automatically set my HZ to 60. If I go back to set it to 75, it turns off DSR

2 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

IDK it depends. Most monitor that can overclock to higher than 60 can't do it for higher resolutions ( DSR )

When I set mine at 75 hz, and then enable DSR 4X per example, it automatically set my HZ to 60. If I go back to set it to 75, it turns off DSR

That is really weird. Ok ill try it anyway. But I think do want the higher frame rate though. We'll see.

1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

That is really weird. Ok ill try it anyway. But I think do want the higher frame rate though. We'll see.

Yeah i know... for me... 75 hz was by overclocking my monitor, which reduce lifespan kinda lot.... so I turned it off.

It's nice for some shooters, but the quality of DSR over 1080p is just amazing and it makes me perform better in BF1 per example because I see people SOOOOO well in the long distance its crazy xD

Just now, gbergeron said:

Yeah i know... for me... 75 hz was by overclocking my monitor, which reduce lifespan kinda lot.... so I turned it off.

It's nice for some shooters, but the quality of DSR over 1080p is just amazing and it makes me perform better in BF1 per example because I see people SOOOOO well in the long distance its crazy xD

BTW BF1 in 3K resolution all ultra is looking AMAZING :) just need to set post processing effect to medium, other settings all ultra and boom 60 fps all the time and 3K "resolution" , amazing quality