Flash Drive AES 256 Bit

Junel

Hi All, 

The organisation I work for requires AES-256 bit encryption on flash drives in order to write on them at work. 

I'm new to encrypted drives, but I know that there are drives available with hardware encryption. 

However, could I possibly encrypt my current flash drive with software, and would that mean I would then require that software to be installed on work computers?

Thanks,

J   

10 minutes ago, Junel said:

However, could I possibly encrypt my current flash drive with software, and would that mean I would then require that software to be installed on work computers?

More often than not it requires the software you used to encrypt it to decrypt it.

Thanks! Probably easier to go for hardware encrypted drives. I'll contact IT and see what they'd accept. 

2 minutes ago, Junel said:

Thanks! Probably easier to go for hardware encrypted drives. I'll contact IT and see what they'd accept. 

If you're not allergic to Windows, Bitlocker seems to be accepted by businesses. And if everyone uses Windows, everyone has it (assuming you all get the edition that has it or higher)

Work is currently running on Windows 7 Professional (IIRC), however, I myself at home am running a Mac, and I don't think any of my housemates have a Windows PC either. 

I'll look into it, I'm going home this weekend, so may use my desktop which runs on Windows.

a client of the place i work at uses flash drives or external hard drives to "sneakernet" highly sensitive information.

based on the sensitivity they have two options:

- a usb stick with an encrypted 7zip archive for the weaksauce stuff

- hardware encryption enabled usb drives for the super high sensitivity stuff, expect these to cost several arms and legs.

essentially, its a matter of how much the security of the information is worth to you.