Overclocking Corsair Dominator Platinum

I have a 2x8GB set of Corsair Dominator Platinum memory rated for 3200MHz.  The set at the link below is what I have.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmd16gx4m2b3200c16

I'm trying to get the rated speed out of the RAM without using XMP profile, because I have manually overclocked my CPU.  I've tried mimicking the settings that setting the XMP profile would do as far as my RAM, including all the timings and the voltage, but the computer wouldn't boot.  Do I need to up the voltage?  Not 100% sure what I'm doing, so I returned my BIOS settings to default and I am now posting here.  

So yeah, what gives?

try using the xmp profile. why wouldn't you?

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

What platform? Yes you need to raise the dram voltage to 1.35v. A little less might work depending on the sticks but just use the XMP voltage.

9 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

I have a 2x8GB set of Corsair Dominator Platinum memory rated for 3200MHz.  The set at the link below is what I have.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominator-platinum-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c16-memory-kit-cmd16gx4m2b3200c16

I'm trying to get the rated speed out of the RAM without using XMP profile, because I have manually overclocked my CPU.  I've tried mimicking the settings that setting the XMP profile would do as far as my RAM, including all the timings and the voltage, but the computer wouldn't boot.  Do I need to up the voltage?  Not 100% sure what I'm doing, so I returned my BIOS settings to default and I am now posting here.  

So yeah, what gives?

Specs? You will have to use higher voltage, 1.35V is generally the best

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, Glennieboyyy007 said:

try using the xmp profile. why wouldn't you?

Doesn't work.  System won't boot.  

Just now, dave_k said:

Specs? You will have to use higher voltage, 1.35V is generally the best

What specs are you asking for?

I'm on an Asus Z170-A running a I5-6600k @ 4.6GHz on 1.37v as a manual overclock.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

What platform? Yes you need to raise the dram voltage to 1.35v. A little less might work depending on the sticks but just use the XMP voltage.

Yeah, that's what I gave it, because that's what the XMP profile wanted to give.  Didn't work out.

Just now, AnonGamer said:

Yeah, that's what I gave it, because that's what the XMP profile wanted to give.  Didn't work out.

The Dominators are usually for the HEDT platforms, step down and try 2933 with the rated timings and 1.35 voltage

Just now, dave_k said:

The Dominators are usually for the HEDT platforms, step down and try 2933 with the rated timings and 1.35 voltage

I don't know what that means, but I'll try a lower speed.  

Haswell-E (X99) and others. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

HEDTs are X99, X299 which is pure bullshit and X399 (Threadripper). Dominators were designed for X99 i think

45 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

Doesn't work.  System won't boot.  

Enable XMP and raise voltage to 1.4v. Could be crap sticks or weak IMC.

Just now, dexT said:

Enable XMP and raise voltage to 1.4v. Could be crap sticks or weak IMC.

1.4V is kinda too much

42 minutes ago, dave_k said:

1.4V is kinda too much, edit it plz

No. 1.5v is the max Intel will validate for XMP on DDR4 so even slightly higher is safe.

Just now, dexT said:

No. 1.5v is the max Intel will validate for XMP on DDR4 so even slightly higher is safe.

I was on 1.41V on DRAM and the sticks had 65°C under load, i dont like that

Update:  Tried a lower speed.  Didn't post.  I didn't know my RAM was designed for another platform.  Wish I'd known that when I had bought it.  

1 minute ago, AnonGamer said:

Update:  Tried a lower speed.  Didn't post.  I didn't know my RAM was designed for another platform.  Wish I'd known that when I had bought it.  

Try C16 16-18-18-36 timings and 1.36V

54 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I was on 1.41V on DRAM and the sticks had 65°C under load, i dont like that

Perfectly safe.

50 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

Dom Plat came out in 2012 as ddr3. The DDR4 version is not only for X99.

I have a few kits of Dominator GT triple channel for X58 and it works on earlier P45 and X48 in single or dual channel.

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Try C16 16-18-18-36 timings and 1.36V

Tried going as high as 1.37v.  My BIOS wouldn't allow any higher.  Still didn't post.

3 minutes ago, dexT said:

Perfectly safe.

Dom Plat came out in 2012 as ddr3. The DDR4 version is not only for X99.

I have a few kits of Dominator GT triple channel for X58 and it works on earlier P45 and X48 in single or dual channel.

Appreciate the input/info.  Not sure what else to do or if its worth continuing to experiment for the marginal difference my RAM's rated speed would make in a few games.  

55 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

Appreciate the input/info.  Not sure what else to do or if its worth continuing to experiment for the marginal difference my RAM's rated speed would make in a few games.  

Use the memOK button after enabling XMP when it wont post. Change the voltage to 1.4V. This will tell you if youre going to get anywhere. If not, the quality of you ram or cpu is very low.

I ran DDR4 at 1.45v for a couple of years and it's 100% safe at that 24/7.

1 hour ago, dexT said:

Use the memOK button after enabling XMP when it wont post. Change the voltage to 1.4V. This will tell you if youre going to get anywhere. If not, the quality of you ram or cpu is very low.

I ran DDR4 at 1.45v for a couple of years and it's 100% safe at that 24/7.

So, in other words, enable XMP, setup the overclock on the CPU (its deleted when XMP is enabled), give the DRAM 1.4v, save and reset, and hit the memOK button during restart?  Not sure what the memOK button does.

50 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

So, in other words, enable XMP, setup the overclock on the CPU (its deleted when XMP is enabled), give the DRAM 1.4v, save and reset, and hit the memOK button during restart?  Not sure what the memOK button does.

Dont mess with the CPU leave it on stock/auto. Then try

Enable XMP

Save & exit

Let it fail post

Press memOK button

Raise dram voltage

Save & exit

MemOK keeps the unstable settings but lets it post to bios so you can adjust them. If it works then lower voltage until it fails post then memOK again and use the last stable volts.

You could also try changing the set of dimm slots youre using.

Are you on the latest BIOS? That cound be holding you back if youre on an old rev.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:13 PM, dexT said:

Are you on the latest BIOS? That cound be holding you back if youre on an old rev.

I'm on the latest BIOS.  I'd rather not give up my CPU overclock for a bit more RAM performance.  Seems like a losing proposition.